Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Question About Jenner's Statement to Rick in 1x06

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - TS-19' started by Mikey, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Okay, so I re-watched "TS-19" on Netflix today. Near the end, Jenner told Rick something, which we obviously now know is that everyone is infected.

My question is: why would Jenner tell Rick that? Since Jenner definitely thought that Rick's group had no chance of making it out of the CDC in time, why would he tell Rick that if he believed that they would perish in the explosion in a few minutes anyway?

I might be oblivious to something, or it might just be lazy writing (lol).

2. Suedeanthracite

Actually I think that's a very intriguing question. The only thing I can think is that Jenner felt that Rick might accept the inevitable explosion if he knew the "secret". If that's true, though, why wouldn't he have told everyone? I think I just talked myself out of my own explanation:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's puzzling. Hopefully someone else can provide some input. :)

4. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Maybe the beast [MENTION=8303]Tony Davis[/MENTION] knows something!

5. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

because Darabont wanted to be different from the comics, I guess.

6. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I'm not really referring to the CDC as a whole, but rather what Jenner told Rick near the end. To me, it makes no sense why Jenner would tell Rick that everyone is infected if he believes the Atlanta group will all die in the next 4 minutes anyway.

7. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

Good question...maybe he just felt like he should know. Maybe he'd wanna stay if he told him...or he just wanted him to know

8. shakey

shakey Member

He wanted Rick to know and maybe he figured it would be easier for Rick to know it in secret since they were all leaving anyway. He had Daryl trying to kill him, and Shane discharging firearms in the building. I might have kept it on the down low also.

9. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

Eh, who knows...it was season one...there were many mistakes in season 1

10. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I don't know, I just don't think it makes much sense that Jenner would tell Rick such a big secret even though he believed he'd die in the next few minutes. And if he wanted Rick to accept that the explosion, then he could've just told the entire group. But telling Rick what he did just seems like a mistake on Jenner's part.

11. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

True that. :)

12. Diomasach

Diomasach Member

I saw it as his last ditch effort to get Rick to join his little suicide pact. A "hey, you know it's hopeless out there, you're all infected, why not join me and go out with a bang?"

13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I think Jenner was telling Rick that they're doomed anyway. You could try to escape the CDC, but there's nothing you can do to stop whatever it is that's ended the world. You're screwed.

14. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

I think that's when Jenner told them they were all infected and would turn into zombies / walkers if they died and their brains were not pierced.
    Maybe Jenner just wanted some more company when he decided to commit suicide, the more the merrier.

#14 The Wolf, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  15. BatmansHooker

We know what he said, we're just speculating on why he said it lol. :p

16. The Wolf

I think Jenner just didn't want to die alone, perhaps he was afraid or a coward, that's what I meant by "more company" and "the more the merrier".

17. BatmansHooker

I got the impression he was a bit of a coward too.

18. The Wolf

Well Jenner lost everything so he wasn't a happy camper, Jenner lost his brilliant wife. He may have wanted everyone else to share his misery along with him.
    All the other scientists abandoned their posts at the CDC and left to be with their families so he probably wanted someone to die with.

Jenner believed their was no hope for a cure and living in the Z.A. was worse than dying.

#18 The Wolf, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  19. JoeTzu

JoeTzu Active Member

20. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

I really don't think that the writers had a clue exactly what it was that Jenner was telling him when the episode was written. I believe that they just saw an open door for later on in the series to further explain the virus and knew there wasn't going to be another character like Jenner whose word would carry as much weight.

What leads me to this conclusion is the scene on the highway with so many people in their cars that never turned. I'm sure there are people that may show up and say that they did turn and I just couldn't see a head wound, but I couldn't find a way to explain it that made sense to me other than that it was a mistake on the writers part and the everyone is infected part wasn't written into the series until later on.