Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Question for those that have read the novels

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Spoilers' started by DeO-Cide, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

So I have been a big fan of the show since it started and as soon as I knew of the first two novels I quickly read them. My question is about the governor and maybe this question already has an answer but I dont have a lot of time to scroll the forums at work.

Anyway thanks for any answers and sorry if this is old news im new to the forums.

-Deo

#1 DeO-Cide, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

What's the question??

3. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

Im askin with the spoiler tags but its not workin.. just shows the @ symbol

4. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

5. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

Thx! Sorry ima noob to these forums

6. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

He is Philip in the show, not Brian. The novels are prequels for the comics, In which the governor is quite different. Hope that helps...

[​IMG]

#6 Driver, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

Thx it dose.. just kinda disappointing. I like the back story a lot and how it explains why he is who he is. I just hoped it would aply to the show as well

8. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

I guess its time to read the comics. :)

9. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

There are some big differences between TV Governor and his comic counterpart. If you liked the novels I would suggest you read the comics, I'm sure you'd enjoy them!

10. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

Big fan of both novels and the show as I said. Comics will be my next target. Do either of you know by chance if there is a release date for the last novel?

11. R0v

R0v Member

Ah yeah, the TV Governor has a different backstory and personality than the one in the comic.

I'm still upset that they made TV Governor a hottie. I really wanted Danny Trejo or someone similar to portray him.
    [​IMG]

12. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

No, I don't. I think he's still in planning for it.

13. R0v

R0v Member

Well, I agree with you, but I think the comic governor is less complex than the one in the TV Show, it wouldn't take that much skill to portray him.

14. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

So I thought of another thing.. Martinez dont exactly match up either if u concider the end of book 2. So yea I guess I just had held out hope they would explain more in the show and reveal more of his past. But everything syncs up perfectly between the books and the comics? Or are there variences there as well?

Part of the intrigue for me is getting all these stories from diff sources like the games, books, shows. Even the telltale game features a small pre story on glen b4 atlanta and the new game survival instinct is to feature prequals for the brothers I just wished it all synced together as one

15. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

they do in their mediums. The telltale game and the novels are 100% unconnected to the show. They are both canon to the comics. Survival instinct is canon to the show. The Dixon's don't exist in the comics.

16. zombie_ninja50

He would have ruined the Governor. He can not act so save his life, so i'm glad they went with morrisey

17. SpoilerAlert

SpoilerAlert New Member

If you want to get into the comics, get the volumes for sure. The really big compendiums are sexy, but are a pain in terms of page turning (because of the book's thickness). Those trade paperback volumes are perfect and if you get them on Amazon.com, they are WAYYY cheaper that your local book store. If you want to spend a lot of money and if you have an Android phone...Just d/l the individual volumes on the Google Play store for like $5.99 a pop for your phone or (even better) a tablet.

READ THOSE COMICS!!!!!!!!!

Bye.

18. filthyastronaut

The show develops why The Governor is the way he is through the show itself. We've seen him progress from a general magnificent bastard to a terrifying psychopath. In the comics, he's just a terrifying psychopath. I don't think the whole Brain/Philip thing matters at all when you take into account what he is: a monster.

And the series essentially has 2 continuities, and always will. No need for a merge, and a merge wouldn't make a lick of sense.

19. GeekBait

GeekBait Member

The Governor on the TV show is an amalgamation of both Brian and Philip, I believe. He is basically Philip from the novel, yet the things he does in Woodbury and him actually being The Governor is taken from Brian in the comics.

20. DeO-Cide

DeO-Cide Member

I have to disagree with ur point of him bein a monster, I think it matters even more to know why hes like that. The books made me like brian and philip and then turn around and make me hate them. Witch is brilliant, bring debth and complexity to a villan to make you almost feel sorry for them. The governor in the book is a psychopath because he started out weak and was beaten down and broken like a dog.. if it dosnt aply to the show...then hes just some douche...not the villian of the year.. just my opinion