Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

R.I.P. -- The Obit Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by westwingnut, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Very sad. It's been a brutal year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

I saw them each time they were down this way. Eddie was a rare talent and obviously a good guy because he was much loved. I loved him and Val together and always admired how they stayed close after the divorce and how they raised their son. I remember someone asking Val how she managed to do that and she said simple, I love my child more than I hate my ex.

RIP Eddie, you definitely left your mark on the music world and more!

• Like Like x 3
  3. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

Johnny Nash passed away.

If you are younger than I am (59) then you may not recognize the name, but you probably recognize the song. It is one of my favorite songs ever, and maybe a song of hope we need now.

4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Was just coming here to post this.
    R.I.P. Johnny

The truth is out there

5. southernlady

I remember him. RIP Johnny

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

RIP Johnny!

7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

That’s too bad. That song is a classic. RIP, Johnny.

8. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr. passed away.

"Who?", you might ask.

He was the grandson of John Tyler.

Again, you might ask, "Who?'

John Tyler was born in 1790 and became President of the United States in 1841 after William Henry Harrison died in office.

His grandson died last week, but, get this, his brother, Harrison Ruffin Tyler, is still living.

Makes you realize, especially in the US, how close in time what we consider history is.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/grandson-10th-president-john-tyler-dies-180975992/

• Like Like x 1
  9. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

10. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

The last two months have been brutal for my memories of falling for baseball. Like most of society, I don't watch much anymore, it seems to have fallen behind the times in a way that I don't know if it can recover. Not to mention the fact that they have discovered that the best way to win makes the games very boring and interminable. That doesn't change how much I loved it when I was young.

Joe Morgan of the Big Red Machine passed away today. He is the 5th all-time great to pass since the end of August. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morgan

Whitey Ford was a little before my time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Ford

Tom Seaver may have been the best pitcher I ever saw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Seaver

If he wasn't, Bob Gibson was. They changed the rules because of him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gibson

Lou Brock was one of my favorite players ever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Brock

We got to watch the Cardinals with Bob Gibson and him every Sunday. There wasn't much baseball on TV at that time. Here in Western Kentucky, we were pretty much equidistant between St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Atlanta, so all the fans were kind of split. If you were a little older than me you were a Cardinals fan because they were the farthest west of all the teams until the late 50's and their broadcasts reached most of the country. Guys my age started shifting to the Reds because they may have been the best team ever in the 70's. I liked the Braves because Hank Aaron hit a Grand Slam in the first game I can ever remember paying attention to. Then he went on to break Babe Ruth's record, the only bright spot in my long-suffering Brave's fan life until the 80's.

My heroes, both in sports and Rock and Roll are passing quickly now. The Country legends are already gone for the most part, too.

(Sigh)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Sharpie61

Conchata Farrell has passed away at 77
    R.I.P.
    She was the funny one on Two and a half Men
    [​IMG]

The truth is out there

12. purriwinkle

I had read somewhere she wasn't doing very well after her heart attack. I was so sorry to hear she lost that battle. She always stole whatever scene she was in, in Two And A Half Men and consistently made me laugh. After reading her obit, I realized she had a long list of credits throughout her acting career and will be sorely missed in the entertainment industry. RIP Conchata.

13. Sharpie61

The wonderful actor, Sean Connery has passed away. R.I.P.
    [​IMG]

The truth is out there

14. purriwinkle

I was just coming here to post this! How sad but he lived a good long life with many memorable screen performances to be remembered by. While I loved his James Bond, his role as the defecting Russian commander in the movie The Hunt For Red October is one I’ll always remember. RIP.
    *Before Bond, if you want to see early Sean, watch him in Darby O’Gill and the Little People!

15. southernlady

So sad, RIP 007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

One of my favourite Scottish actors. Loved him in The Untouchables and Finding Forrester. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

His bio stated that he was a bodybuilder prior to getting into acting.

18. purriwinkle

For us old timers, comedian Norm Crosby has died at age 93.

[​IMG]

19. Sharpie61

I remember him from Jerry Lewis’s telethon. I took him as a white collar comedian.

The truth is out there