Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

R.I.P. -- The Obit Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by westwingnut, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Biffster

John Hurt was a great actor. Solid. Believable. When you look at the lines in his face, you could see the human journey writ large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

in this case, slightly different questions were raised in some districts, although all stemming from that one exec order.

fyi, even for more usual cases that are contained within one particular state, the law can be settled slightly different in different districts and circuits. there are 94 district courts, and "reasonable minds may differ." usually a decision by a federal district judge is for that district, although the districts do look to each other and their decisions are mostly unified. if district discrepancies do occur that create friction, the court of appeals can make a decision that all of its districts in all of its states will then follow.

there are 12 regional courts of appeals. the ninth circuit court of appeals can settle federal law for California, arizona, washington, oregon, hawaii, alaska, idaho, montana, nevada, (guam, northern marianas islands). all of those states have to follow what the 9th circuit says. this can irritate the hell out of some states, which routinely try to break away from the big jupiter of this solar system: california. splitting-the-ninth-circuit drama was a yearly thing for quite a while. i don't know if they are still trying to get out.

anyway, because the 9th is geographically so massive, it has a huge impact on settling federal law.

the 9th and whichever one is new york decide such a huge proportion of law. the other courts of appeals will often look to them since they have probably already dealt with the headachy complex questions. why reinvent the wheel. so, mostly, the law is pretty unified.

but not always. if different courts of appeals reach different conclusions, or if something is always in am uproar, the supreme court may settle it. for example, the supreme court settled the law regarding abortion and gay marriage, so those decisions now apply to the entire nation.

most of the time, the supreme court will let differing legal conclusions stand. they accept very, very few cases.

The justices decide which cases they will hear, about 80 each year. They decide another 50 without hearing arguments. The cases they choose usually address constitutional issues or federal law. The Supreme Court gets about 7000 requests to hear cases per year, so there are many cases that don't get heard.
    U.S. Supreme Court
    www.civilrights.org/judiciary/courts/supreme.html

this particular matter will be going to the supreme court.

4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ guys! We only have 27 dedicated political threads to discuss this stuff in. Oh wait... they were consolidated. Lol. Well we still have at least 2 or 3.

I know, I know... you're probably thinking "you go off topic all the time in the political threads Jama!" Well all I can say is go f*ck yourself!

I'm kidding! Maybe. Or am I?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Biffster

This is good information—thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I agree with you.
    This thread is to pay our respects to those that have passed and have brought some joy to our lives.

#106 Sharpie61, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Biffster

Fair comment. Apologies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Same here. I especially apologize to the OP for derailing his thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Sharpie61

Actor Miguel Ferrer died January 20th, of a stroke.
    The Twin Peaks actor was cousin to actor George Cooney.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Biffster

And also the dude guy from Robocop.

12. Sharpie61

That's right. I think he was in Total Recall too.

13. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

He was in tons of stuff. He's one of those actors that we've all seen in a ton of stuff but it's a lot of smaller roles so he never became super famous or a household name. I bet there's a lot of actors and actresses out there that LOVE that.

They can make a really good living doing what they love, possibly be very well off or even rich, but without the baggage of being so famous that their lives are under the microscope every second of the day. I bet this guy could have gone into the grocery store and people would just say "Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?"...... Nope! and he's on his way. lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sharpie61

RIP Richard Hatch
    [​IMG]

15. Biffster

Apollo and Starbuck were da bomb back in the day. I think Richard Hatch also shares a name with the first winner on Survivor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sharpie61

RIP to Adele Dunlap
    She was the oldest living American. At a young/old age of 114
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That is so awesome though.... Her living for that long, that is. You'd think that living THAT long is a waste of time, but that's not true in their case. These people have lived that long because they were very healthy, productive and active back when they were in their 70's, 80's and even their 90's. Mentally sharp too.

My great grandmother lived to 98 and she was still out planting in her garden, taking long walks, painting walls in her house and doing a bunch of other things I'll probably not be able to do when I'm 65... assuming I'm even still alive!!

She didn't make it to 100 though. So close! Loser! I'm kidding. I love you gramma!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. Lindigo

if you live to 100 you get a card from the president. my grandma made it to 99. solid democrats that we are, we joked she didn't want to get a card from reagan. :p

no, i am not either derailing, but i will proactively say

[​IMG]

:D

19. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh... And lot's of people died today. RIP. (I have to practice what I preach, lol)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lindigo

you are a very good man, jama. i really am sorry for the families of everyone who died today. we will never know about them because they aren't famous, but the people who did know them will love them forever. <3