Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Raga's Epic Binge Watch

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Dnae, May 14, 2020.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I think that TWD withdrawal therapy is needed......STAT

As long time fans we have learned the art of weathering the long wait between seasons.

But @Raga has just binged 9.9 seasons of TWD in 20 days, then left without a proper season finale, a finale that requires a long wait. At this point instead of calling it a finale to season 10 we should just start referring to it as the season 11 Prelude. On top of that we have an extended long wait for season 11 due to the shut down of all filming until it is deemed safe to return.

Normally at this point in time we would have been chatting about who was and who was not seen filming episode 1101

I propose we help out our newest forum member as he/she learns the ropes of how to survive filming season which has been made even more difficult due to the absence of filming!

Starting with season 1 then after a few days or so we can tackle season 2

Favorite episode? Why?

Favorite scene? Why?

Favorite character? Why?

Least liked episode? Why?

Least liked scene? Why?

Least Liked character? Why?

@Raga @BlackBird @Neuropyramidal @PepperAnn @Chr1s @purriwinkle @Jen7 @Sharpie61 @mistertrouble189 @VenomGA @Terminator @bula412 @Woodstock @WillyJakkz @Rapscallion @NakedCity @Seventh_son @92Pony @Blueman @Stealth @LoriG

#1 Dnae, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

In the interest of transparency, while I loved season 1 when it first aired in 2010 as seasons went on it continually fell to the bottom of my "favorite season list". Seasons 1 and 8 flip flop back and forth as my least favorite seasons.

BUT I do have favorites and least favorites

SEASON 1:

Favorite episode - Of course it is episode 101. While I am not a fan who believes that season 1 is greatness personified I do like season 1. And the pilot episode was almost flawless.

Favorite character - Rick Grimes. DUH.

Favorite scene - Has to be Rick walking down the hospital corridors. Seeing that mangled body. The chaos. The chained doors. Then hands coming out of the doors. Rick's look of terror, confusion. That set the tone for the series. I was hooked even though I am not really a fan of horror nor zombie movies. But I was all in from episode 101.

Least liked episode - Vatos. I have only watched that episode twice.

Least liked character - Ed. Good riddance.

Least liked scene - In episode 1 that moment when Rick is under the tank about to off himself and then in a split nano second he sees the tank opening. It just does not play out well in my opinion. Even just thinking about it causes me to twitch

#2 Dnae, May 14, 2020
  3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I’ve been a fan since season 3.
    What I’ve learned from the show is that we, as the viewer, became a part of the survivors group. A part of the family.

I know we have lost a lot of friends along the way, but the most tragic for me is Shivas death. Her sacrifice was heartbreaking.
    Most gruesome was Noah’s death.
    Didn’t care for Beth
    I’ve had many favorite characters, and right now it leans to Judith
    Best story for me was Terminus.

I’m not too excited about the 3rd series, but probably because Fear has been bombing lately.

As someone who doesn’t watch a lot of tv, I’m in it to the end.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

What a lovely idea, @Dnae. Nice companion to the complete rewatch thread.

I've only watched the series twice (second time a rewatch with my husband who opted out from the series at the lineup; and from S7- onwards catch-ups with my daughter). I am very tempted to go back to the beginnings again, I must admit.

So my answers will be from a fair amount of distance in time.

SEASON 1:

I don't recall favourite/least favourite episodes from this season. I was fully engrossed from the moment Rick woke up.

Favourite scene: possibly Andrea and Amy on the boat fishing. That was just so unexpected and beautiful and touching. Other contenders: the women's banter at camp whilst they were washing clothes, and Daryl shooting the Walker lying on the ground in the head, saying "what's wrong with you people?".

Least liked scene: The little girl zombie in the pilot. (So inconsistent with the zombies shown after.)

Favourite character: Glenn

Least favourite character: Shane (I mean, he was a brilliant character, but he was giving me the creeps right from the start, except for his relationship with Carl)

I really need to rewatch!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

That was a great moment between them! Having Andrea's character deviate so far from the comic was a glaring mistake IMO. I can only imagine what Laurie Holden/Andrea would have brought to the TV series :(

During seasons 1 and 2 I also felt the same way about Shane. But in rewatching the series several times over I have come to appreciate the layers to his character and his relationship with Rick. As actors Andy and Jon were a match made in heaven (I mean ANY relationship match with Andy would be a product from the heavens above ;)). Though it was the natural progression of their story I still get a bit weepy watching that final scene between the two of them. The sadness between them is so strong. ARGH I am jumping ahead LOL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

TWD S 1

Favorite Episode:
    "Tell it to The Frogs", because it introduced Daryl Dixon and Carol Peletier. :cool:

Favorite Scene: Daryl using Merle's severed hand to frighten the young gangbanger into cooperating from the episode "Vatos", shows how smart Daryl really is. :cool:

Favorite Character:
    Rick Grimes, a good cop trying to find his family at the end of the world.

Least Like Episode: "Wildfire". Not a bad episode (S1 is solid), but it doesn't hold my interest.

Least Liked Scene:
    When Shane tried to force himself on Lori in "TS-19". :eek:

Least Liked Character: Morgan, not for anything he did in S1, but for what he did in the later seasons. Morgan helped to kill this franchise. :mad:

#6 Rapscallion, May 14, 2020
  7. BlackBird

I was with you all the way except for the bit about Morgan. He’s always been one of my favourite characters (in TWD that is, I’ve never seen him in Fear).
    Why do you think he contributed so much to the dropping off of viewers?

8. BlackBird

Oh, I couldn’t agree more! In fact it could well be one of my favourite relationships on the show, it was so incredibly well done. This twisted mixture of admiration, respect and brotherly adoration tangled with fervent envy and jealousy on Shane’s part, and Rick blissfully unaware of these complexities in the olden days, and only slowly unravelling it in the apocalypse, as the story progressed.
    Add to that Shane’s slow descent into madness. It was fascinating. And yes, really, really tragic.

#8 BlackBird, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

1) Morgan forced his philosophy of nonviolence on the groups of TWD and FTWD.

2) Morgan's a hypocrite: he preaches nonviolence and tells the grieving to move on, but when somebody he cares about dies, he's out for revenge.

3) Morgan's crazy. I don't know why everyone on TWD and FTWD listens to Morgan, because he's obviously crazy.

4) Morgan should've died in TWD S8 instead of Carl. It would've been more believable if Rick spared Negan to honor Morgan and his philosophy of nonviolence instead of honoring Carl's sudden "Give peace a chance" attitude.

5) Morgan ruined FTWD. I believe FTWD found its footing in S3, and I remember critics and fans saying it was better than TWD. Morgan was brought over for S4 and he ruined the show; the storylines and ratings have been abysmal.

6) Morgan has insane plot armor, even for TWD universe. In FTWD S5 Morgan got exposed to radiation but he didn't catch it. Morgan was also shot in the FTWD S5 finale, but he'll undoubtedly survive that.

#9 Rapscallion, May 14, 2020
  10. Raga

Raga New Member

wow!that's really so thoughtful ...@Dnae.Thank you!!I liked the phrase TWD withdrawal therapy....lol..
    Thank you so much for helping me out by starting the discussion from season 1..

11. BlackBird

Thanks for your reply. Like I said before, I haven’t seen Morgan in Fear, so my view of this character is solely based on TWD. I fully appreciate that it’s hard to separate once you’ve seen more of him.

I wouldn’t say he *forced* his philosophy in TWD, - he certainly advocated it. Especially with two people: Carol and Rick. Both of whom were in a really bad place (in a different way) when Morgan reentered the story in S5. I’d say both of them needed Morgan and his philosophy at that point as a brake and sounding board, as things were running away with the pair of them in regards of violence.

In TWD Morgan is not a hypocrite. A hypocrite is someone who *pretends*. I’d say Morgan never pretended. He really truly and firmly believed in what he was saying and was clinging to the philosophy of nonviolence as the only thing that has granted him some inner peace and a shield from madness. Yet his very human need to step up to protect when no philosophy works (when he saved Carol) or when grief strikes in such dreadful force that breaks a sane man, never mind someone with a very fragile mental health, well, that can make a person go f**k it, and in my view that’s not at all hypocrisy. With a massive challenge such as a choice between philosophy or saving a friend, the choice was testing the philosophy in extreme circumstances. With grief over Benjamin this was a crashing over the boundaries of sanity, when philosophies don’t make sense any more, because nothing does.

This is true, but rather than a negative, I think this is very interesting. Morgan is mentally unstable and he’s been that from the very first moment we met him In S1. His journey on TWD has always been about his struggle with insanity. I have found this struggle absolutely fascinating to watch as it was portrayed by an incredible actor, and deep down, beneath all the layers of mental health issues, lies a good man with a heart of gold.

That’s an interesting idea, Rick sparing Negan to honour Morgan, and I can see that could have worked. I did however like Carl’s final arc and much as I was sad to see the little punk go, I thought his death was done very well and moved the story on brilliantly.
    I wonder if promises made for a friend, even for Morgan who was obviously very special to Rick, would have been enough to hold Rick back from killing Negan. Even with Carl, he nearly failed, and it took everything in him to turn it around.

Lol, that much is true, but come on, most of our survivors have.

I think Morgan has been a fantastic addition to TWD, though I appreciate he might have not fitted into Fear.

12. Raga

Raga New Member

TWD Season 1

Favourite episode :
    Tell it to the frogs,as it unites Rick Grimes with his family

Favourite scene:

The family reunion, as I waited for it to happen since the pilot episode and didn't have a clue if it would happen at all.

Favourite character:
    Rick Grimes as I thought he was the most genuine, honest and passionate person who would do anything for his family... and also the people who helped him when he needed it till the end

Least liked episode /Scene

Guts...as it has the scene where the group just burst open the dead and remove the guts to cover Rick and Glenn ,and they both go out disguising themselves as the walkers...yuck....so gross...it was so nauseating for me.That was may be my first time watching scenes as gross as that and it took lot of time for me to get used to such scenes...

Least liked Character:

Merle....When I first saw his behavior I thought..who is this guy?When every other person is trying their best for the survival of themselves and at least in part for others, this guy always didn't care anything except for making harsh comments and making the situation even worse...But though it was not intentional, I didn't like it when they all left him on the terrace and went away ..I felt so sorry for him

13. BlackBird

Nice choices above, @Raga. Will come to those episodes/scenes soon. Because, because ... I rewatched the Pilot last night. It's been coming for a while, but last night I had an irresistible desire to revisit.

Yes. This was so very well done. Also, there's that little thing just before, when Rick wakes and looks at the dry flowers, crumbles one between his fingers, that is already so chilling. Yes, the tone was set incredibly well. Andy did some fine acting already in this very first episode and it's just delicious to see seeds and morsels of the Rick To Come.

Sidenote: Those bare legs and partial nakedness were very distracting. :rolleyes:

Lol, yes. It was just far too quick. Made worse by him actually taking time to say sorry to Lori and Carl out loud.

The little girl zombie picking up her teddy in the opening scene... now that doesn't seem so far fetched now when watching the rest of the pilot with the zombies behaving so very differently from how they are now. Morgan's wife trying to get in the house, turning door knobs and peeping in, all these abilities and faint traces of memory. And the fact they were much quicker. This made the zombies a lot more interesting and scary back then.

Two other things I really enjoyed: the scene in the police car with Rick and Shane before the car chase. A glimpse at a typical chinwag between mates. It sets their characters and their relationship up so well, with Shane's feelings for Lori already in evidence. Pure gold.

And Morgan's little boy, such a character. Insisting on holding hands to say grace and his singing in the shower! Then the scene when Morgan was upstairs, trying to shoot his mum and he knew. Oh man. So very well acted by both.

Well, I guess I'm doing this rewatch thing? Not sure how far I'll go, but first two seasons for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have been re-watching some of my favorite episodes.

Which brings us to season 2:

Favorite episode: Nebraska. This was the episode. The one where I knew that I had completely fallen into fangirl love with Rick/Andy. I had now moved beyond simple crush into head over heels googly eyed celluloid love with not only the Rick/Andy.

When he tilted his head and said "I hear Nebraska's nice" - that was it. No going back. The beast had been awakened. Rick MotherFuc*in' Grimes made his debut. And then silly Tony made the grave mistake of thinking he could outdraw Rick?
    [​IMG]

Honorable Mention episodes:
    18 Miles Out
    Better Angels

Between those three episodes there is little to no wiggle room between them. I can watch those three over and over (and I have!!!)

Favorite character: Really? Does it need to be said. RICK!!

Favorite scene: The one where Rick just ran out of fu*ks to give

Least liked episode: This is a race between Chupacabra (episode 5) and Secrets (episode 6). I do not think they were necessarily bad episodes. Just episodes that I enjoyed the least out of the season.

Least liked character: Still Carol at this point.

15. BlackBird

I'll come to 'Nebraska' in a few days, but I'd say Rick MF Grimes was already in full operation when he dealt with Merle on the roof in 1x02.

"You seem to make habit of missing the point" and "I give you a moment to think about that" complete with headtilt. Bingo.
    And then just flicking Dixon's nose and his meth into the world below, that was Rick, the cop, with a shed load of badass already in his swagger. What a springboard in place right at the start!

16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I think Rick in season 1 was just Rick "gotta find my family at any cost" Grimes. Maybe he was Rick "doesn't give two shits" Grimes but no where near Nebraska Rick. Rick Motherfuc*ing Grimes was perhaps simmering below the surface but the beast had yet to be fully awakened.

Rick was still trying to reconcile the old world order with the new world order.

It would take almost losing Carl, Lori's pregnancy, losing Sophia and then finding her as a walker, putting her down, the mounting pressures of leading this group of misfits, and Shane's steady descent into madness. Tony and Dave met Rick at the wrong time. He was a short fuse waiting to be set off.

Nah, I stand by my opinion that Rick became RMFG in Nebraska and forward.

17. Raga

Raga New Member

I too thought the same when I watched Nebraska...I actually didn't expect Rick to shoot Dave and Tony.... I was on the edge of my seat during the whole scene.On one hand Lori met with the road accident..On the other these people were provoking an already agitated Rick.Till then to me ,Rick was kind of a cool Sheriff who would think twice before he did anything ... But that killing scene changed how I saw Rick..oh I loved it. I thought that was the Man or beast I was waiting to see in him...and after it happened I was also relieved to see Shane rescuing Lori,though with the help of a lie that Rick and the team were back...