Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Randall's Group (mild spoilers)

Discussion in 'Episode 211 - Judge, Jury, Executioner' started by Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, if it has, Mods please feel free to lock or delete this thread.

After watching this again, I’m confident that Randall’s rogue group is what will become the Woodbury group. For those who have not read the comics Woodbury is the name of a small town where a collection of survivors have walled-up a portion of the town and created a little slice of life that resembles something between Ancient Rome and Thunder Dome. The group is lead by antagonist Philip Blake, aka The Governor. I was convinced of this during Randall's interrogation by Daryl when he admitted the following little jewels;
    “…30 guys. ~ I don’t know where! We were in never in one place more than a night. ~ They have weapons, automatics! ~ These people took me in, not this guy, a whole group of them… men and women, kids too… just like you people.”

Also, in the previews for "Better Angels" when T-Dog goes to the barn to collect Randall, T-Dog says, "Yo Randall, Governor called." I found this very amusing!

PLEASE be respectful of others and try to keep the discussion away from any details of the Woodbury arc as seen in the comics.

2. marsyao

marsyao Member

It is not likely Randall's group are from Woodbury, Woodbury is a small town, and governor and his people live in the walled community, a much better and safer place than Hershel's farm,on the Randall's group are on the move, from the conversation between Dave and Rick, it is obviously that they are desperate to find a place to settle down, that is a complete different from governor's group, governor will be interested to a well built prison, but he would not be interested in an undefended farm.
    when T-Dog goes to the barn to collect Randall, T-Dog says, "Yo Randall, Governor called.", he is obliviously refer to a death row inmate receive a last minute call from governor to commute his death sentence. I do not think it has anything to do with "the governor"

3. marsyao

marsyao Member

Just have a thought about Randall's group, Randall told Daryl that his group had 30+ people, and they are "heavily armed" with automatic weapons, but from 5 people from that group we met, that hardly is truth, when Dave and Tony entered the bar, Dave had a handgun, and Tony had a shotgun with very few shells, and later when Randall and his two friends come to looking for them, they were only armed with 1 rifle and 2 handguns, since these guys are supposedly fighters from that group out for a dangerous mission, from the weapons they have, they hardly could be considered "heavily armed", was Randall lying? If Randall lied about the weapons his group has, and then he told Daryl about the rape, either things would greatly alarm Rick and his group, is Randall too stupid or is he trying to suicide by cop?

4. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

I'm still on the fence as to where they are from. When it was all first going down, I thought that this might be how they pull in Woodbury and the rest of the arc. I still think that it is possible to go that route, but like marsyao said, it doesn't seem like they are armed enough for Woodbury scavenge runs. Who knows and maybe we will actually find out before the end of next season. lol

5. marsyao

marsyao Member

Woodbury controls a national guard arsenal, each member of their scavenge party should armed with automatic weapon. My opinion is that Woodbury would be introduce only in season 3, the writer could pull it by following the comic, that would be good enough.

6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I also thought that he may have been from Woodbury. With the official casting announcement of an actor to play the Governor in season three, I would say it's a decent possibility.

Only thing is....for it to work, Rick and company won't be able to know it's the group Randall came from when they first arrive. Otherwise Rick will still be on his toes....

7. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

Actually...Randall's group is closer to the group in The Rise of The Governor that attacks the house the Philiip and his 4 group members are staying in. If you have read the book, they are pretty bad people, traveling, heavily armed, etc.

I am not sure how this would ever be specifically identified within the show, but I don't get the sense this is Woodbury yet, but maybe this group ultimately ends up staying with Woodbury and tells them about the small group they encountered at a bar not too far from here...

8. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I doubt the story of Rise of the Governor will be incorporated to the show. Kirkman has said that he's not particularly proud of that little venture and he's wished it didn't happen.

Perhaps Randall's group could have been scavengers for Woodbury?

9. Peanut Q. Public

i'm with Walker97, i think it would be more likely to be the group that attacked Phil and Brian than the Woodbury group as well. now that that point has been brought up, i want to reread the book and rewatch the episode. i remember after they found out Dave was dead, one said something to the other about, "do you want to go back and tell so-and-so" but i can't remember her name. interesting if it turned out to be the same woman from the book. you know the one. *cringe*

P.S. Bassman i'm sorry you forced me to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqssfzVyrw

out of love.

10. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I mentioned the same things. If they are so heavily armed, sure could have fooled me when the bandit scouts on a mission certainly weren't so heavily armed.

11. marsyao

marsyao Member

That shotgun blast not only killed Penny, but also changed so many people's life.

12. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

I'm saying Randall's group could be what eventually becomes the Woodbury group. Remember, we're still pretty early on into the ZA. :) Hard telling how the writers will sell Randall's group, if they even (re)visit the group. I still think they will be linked somehow with Woodbury, even if flimsily, seeing as how the Governor has been cast for Season 3 and Rick’s group seems to already be fighting the psychological war they fought with The Governors group from Woodbury. Remember how they handled Wiltshire Estates by subtly mentioning Wiltshire Estates several episodes prior?

I believe the T-Dog's "Governor called" line was foreshadowing. They've done lots of this.

#12 Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  13. marsyao

marsyao Member

I already explain the reason ofT-Dog's "Governor called" line, that has nothing to do with Woodbury, I do not know how TV show would portrait the Woodbury, but the comic version of Woodbury, majority residents of the Woodbury are normal and innocent people, not bunch of bandits.

14. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

What T-Dog says Is a double meaning statement. An inside joke, if you will, for the people who read the comics. Just like Dale's line "I don't want to live in this world" foreshadowing his death or Andrea's "Things are different Dale" pointing out early on that the comic relationship IS NOT going to happen in the show. Those kids of little statements are littered throughout this entire series. But I digress, you either take 'em at face value or you do not. I do.

I disagree about Woodbury completely. I've read the book so many times I've stopped counting. The Woodbury group is ambiguous in their motives and intentions at best. They almost always do as Philip, Gabe and Bruce tell them to without hesitation, especially when attacking the prison based solely on Philip's lies and dictatorial manipulation of the facts. That's not to say all Woodburians are bad, they're not, But Nurse Alice and Dr. Stevens flee Woodbury because Philip is a Tyrant. Martinez accompanies them to learn the location of the Prison so he can bring back some of the GOOD townspeople, or so he said before he died. Clearly some of the Woodburians are capable of great violence, barbarism and thuggery, lest you forget the Arena. How anyone who has read the series can overlook this is beyond me.

15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

[MENTION=370]Bassman[/MENTION], @Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, [MENTION=1117]Duzy[/MENTION], [MENTION=8873]TGO[/MENTION] & [MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION]..

Norman Reedus says in this interview that Randall was from Woodbury..

Unless I heard it wrong?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/10/26/the-walking-deads-norman-reedus-didnt-want-daryl-to-be-leader/

16. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It couldn't be because Randall's group was near Hershel's farm [Randall and Shane were going to walk there], but after they leave the farm, they drive for an hour at least before stopping near prison [Rick says 'We've been riding on fumes for an hour']. And Woodbury is near prison, so not in same region as Farm/Randall's group.

17. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

18. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Right, the only thing that links Randall's group to Woodbury is we know they both had at least a few bad people. I suppose that would be 75% of groups on earth.

19. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Woodbury had a big set up.. I don't think it's unreasonable that the gov sent out supplies parties to scout for ammunition & supplies a long way out from Woodbury ..

You'd really have to travel a fair distance to get what they had set up there..

The gov killed people, kept their heads in fish tank, happy to murder the national guard but wouldn't rape women?

Norman basically said in se2 when daryl beats up the captured Randall, Daryl finds out that Randall is from Woodbury..

20. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

He didn't rape and kill openly (prior to penny at least) and we never learned of any outside supply missions or groups. Everyone stayed at Woodbury.

I now it's earlier so it could still happen but nothing suggests that it did.

I'm curious where that quote is coming from. Daryl certainly never learned of Woodbury or anything about where the group was when he tortured him. He didn't even know what Woodbury was or that it existed until mid season 3. I don't believe he learned something like that and never pieced it together or mentioned it to anyone.