Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rate it

Discussion in 'Episode 504 - Skidmark' started by NakedCity, Jun 24, 2019.

1. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I know Dnae posted a thread earlier

https://battleroyaleforums.com/forum/threads/504-skidmark-leave-your-own-mark.684912/#post-15353452

But for future reference, I thought this should be in the proper section of the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I liked it. Can't stand Daniel or the two white trash dumbfucks, don't like Strand nor Luciana, and even though they were all central to this episode, I still liked it (even kind of liked Daniel here).

They avoided going with the evil kids, which is a good thing (the girl is still a pretty bad actress, and they're all pretty annoying, but at least they're not the masterminds of an evil scheme).

I'll give it a 7. Not great, but good enough episode. I didn't swear once.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

As is now expected, there were a few just stupid parts in the episode, but overall I felt it was okay. I'll give it a meh-ish 5.

3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

biting my tongue about not having an episode sub section until after the episode aired!

Anyway......

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

copy and paste this puppy

Skidmark - the actual cat gets a 10 out of 10

The preview for next week gets a whopping 7 out of 10 .it actually appears that a decent episode just might be on the horizon.

If so, then all I have to say is neener neener to all those who could not believe I actually like Althea.
    [​IMG]

The episode itself, 504, gets a 4 from me. Everyone knows how to fly a plane. Eye roll moment with Dylan giving Luciana the pep talk that if a fictional pilot in a children's book can repair HIS downed plane then certainly the group of misfits can give it the ol college try and be just as successful as the book's pilot. And I suppose they are going to seek out a Small Plane Repair for Dummies book and learn how to do that AND find all the parts needed for said repair in an obviously middle of nowhere, once upon a time no doubt hipster weekend antique shopping, fair trade coffee shop, back in the day boho chic small town somewhere in Texas (yeah, I'm looking at you Fredricksburg).
    [​IMG]

Docking points for Dylan asking Luciana to tell him what the book was about. I actually yelled "read the damn book kid". Cheap way to spoon feed the plot of that book to the viewer.

Nothing in this episode was a surprise or an OMG moment. Saw the propeller kill a mile away. Surprised the walkers did not figure it out and turn around to save the take down for another day. Daniel leaves....yet again. SURPRISE! Three ring helicopter appears - again, not surprised nor taken aback (and nope I did not read any spoilers). It was bound to happen.

The group of kids? UGH. I hope that story arc meets an end and SOON! I love Judith. I like Charlie. But these kids? That one girl looks as though she were raised by that woman who drives the truck.
    [​IMG]

And I am unable to separate the actor playing Dylan from the actor who played Sam. I could not stand Sam and that disdain has transferred to this kid.

I do give points to Alicia and Morgan. I still enjoy their moments together.

I give points to Charlie. I like a kid in the apocalypse who is not whiney. I do not like whining. Bitching is okay. Whining is not okay. Charlie seems capable of taking care of herself.
    I give the okay for Morgan and Dwight to add her to the list of those it is okay to bring with them when they return to Alexandria.
    [​IMG]

Points to Skidmark the cat because, well, I love cats.

Points given in regard to the tin that Daniel packed away in his go bag. What is in that tin? It was shown at the beginning of the episode just prior to Daniel and Skidmark sitting down for their meal. On the lid was printed abanicos. As far as I can tell translates to fans. *shrug* Not losing any sleep over it but I am a bit curious if the printed label on the tin has any significance with what is inside of the tin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I concur. Dylan (who is Sam's real life brother, I guess you know) 's reasoning was idiotic. Even the writer must have cringed.

I don't believe playboy Victor ever put in the time to become a pilot in the before days. It would be fun to see a group at a small local airport teaching people how to fly because plane fuel stays good, so that would be the new way to get around, but we haven't seen that. In real life, I've met two people who can fly a plane.

So (a) suspension of disbelief doesn't reach to believing Victor or any of them can fly, and (b) I don't think Victor can do airplane engine maintenance. *eye roll* Not even car engine repairs for that matter. It's just ridiculous.

I have no idea why the show would have Daniel reappear from almost certain death and then ditch him. All I can guess is that the actor accepted money for a guest appearance but didn't want this show to drag down his life. I hope he does more guest appearances in the future. He single-handedly raises the quality.

Why do we have a group of kids on their own? Kids are more likely to survive than their parents? *eye roll*

I'm irritated with the "let's do good" schtick. Every time someone brings it up, it kills any organic sense of people being naturally helpful in bad times.

I did like the propeller kills. The dialog from MoMo gal that I remember as, "Soups on, where's the ladle," was painfully wretched. Also the dialog about putting the hammer down. Of course they need to drive up to the other group.

Vic creating a diversion so Daniel could get out from under the truck is all in a day's work in the apocalypse. It was offered as something to show Vic had changed or to counterbalance Daniel's loss of time with his daughter, and it isn't remotely either of those things.

If this were the first episode I ever saw, I wouldn't come back for more. Two, because I enjoyed the teamwork of Daniel and Skidmark.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

It occurs to me someone could remove the wings to convert small planes into small enough vehicles that could buzz down roads without bumping into obstacles. I vote we all do that when the apocalypse really happens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NakedCity

All valid complaints, I guess my expectations are way too low now... I still think it's a lot more believable that Strand would know how to fly a plane than Al. Strand was living above his means, the boat, why not the plane? As far as mecanics, I just thought Luciana was dumb. There's no way they repair the plane that crashed in less than a few years work...

The only big question/problem I have is: WHY A PLANE? Did they land in Cuba and I missed something? Take a ****in' truck and leave the area... (?)

Also, Daniel is leaving again? (YES!!!!) I thought his new mission was part of the ongoing story and that Charlie and co. would join in some way.

#7 NakedCity, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I'm not sure how to rate this. I'll start with what I liked. The cat. Terrible name, but smarter than most of the humans in the show. I know, I know. A potato would be smarter than most of the humans currently in the show.

Training cats to do anything is basically an illusion. They do what they want and maybe we take credit for giving them direction, but cats are smart and I can see one doing what that cat did. They work on instinct and need, without sticky moral dilemmas getting in the way. If he has to be around these people for long, he'll probably develop the ability to roll his eyes.

I liked the Charlie/Salazar moments and the Morgan/Alicia moments. There was some good, if brief, character exploration, which this show is generally lacking in at the moment.

And that's about all I liked.

Why lead the dead on some slow parade? Drive away fast and leave them behind.

Of course trucker lady has busted down the fence. Cue the cat with the eye roll.

Now Salazar has left on some mysterious mission. What was that about?

I'm still left wondering why they can't just drive to wherever the rest of the group is to rescue them with their two large vehicles and seemingly endless amounts of gas. They aren't on an island. There's a truck stop there, so there are roads. Have the roads been washed out or completely blocked... somehow... in all directions? No one even discusses driving there as a possibility. I don't know how far away they are, but it couldn't be that far, could it? If they had left right away to get them, wouldn't they be there by now? Which begs the question as to why they attempted this 'rescue' with a plane in the first place. Maybe they explained all of that and I missed it.

And how do they plan to take all of these kids out in one small plane? That Strand destroyed in spectacular fashion.

And what's with the kids and their walker barriers? They did that to keep whoever out of wherever they're living? How would that stop the heavily armed men in black? Until the idiots crash landed, the only people around seemed to be Grace, Dwight, the kids and the soldiers.. just two, did they say? It all seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Why were these kids not with their parents who died from burning the radioactive dead? Are they also infected with radiation poisoning?

So our group has gotten another safe (once they fix the fence) haven that's full of supplies. I've lost count of how many well stocked, relatively safe places they've found (or built) and subsequently lost. If Daniel returns, I'm sure he'll find his warehouse destroyed somehow.

Next week's episode shows some promise, at least.
    But it looks as though it may be all Althea. That means no Dwight until the week after, which is a bummer because he's perhaps the most interesting thing to happen so far this season.

At this point I'm wondering if they've given up on FTWD continuing past this season and are just using it as a catalyst for the Rick story. o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first glance it appears to be the best of the lot thus far. time will tell

[​IMG]
    They have my blessing to also somehow have Dwight, Alicia, Althea and Skidmark land in Alexandria. And I suppose it is okay if Morgan and Charlie tag along. But Morgan has to get over this helping everybody and their brother BS

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

@Dnae I had a feeling you'd have an eye rolling cat gif. ;)
    I agree with your list of acceptables for Alexandria.
    For some reason I still like John & June, even though they're a bit over the top with their ideas.
    I think they're being under utilized.
    They need better writing.
    But don't they all at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

And I knew exactly which one to use when I read your post LOL

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I liked the cat. For not being an animal trainer, Daniel did a good job.

I did like Alicia’s response to seeing the helicopter. It seemed genuine.

Other then that, I’m going with a 6. I felt bored watching it.

The truth is out there

13. NakedCity

I think we can all agree that EVERYTHING regarding the planes is dumb as ****. People being able to fly it, or maybe now to repair it, and the simple idea to fly anywhere in a plane before scouting out the place... How could they even think they'd have a clear and long enough path to land it?

As for leading the dead instead of just driving away fast, Daniel said he wanted to avoid the hord going ahead and killing more people, he wanted to eliminate a possible threat to others, which isn't a bad idea.

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

That's funny. I was getting a Sam vibe watching that Dylan kid and I had no idea that was his real life brother.

I could see Strand knowing how to fly since he had money and you could see him wasting it on something like that. It makes no sense though that Al knew how to fly. She was a journalist who traveled the world. I don't see working in flying lessons in her spare time.

• Agree Agree x 1