Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rate it

Discussion in 'Episode 1107 - Promises Broken' started by Sharpie61, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Did you like the episode or not

The truth is out there

2. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I liked most of it. 8/10.

Points taken for the idiotic Commonwealth scenes. We've already had the pleasure to meet Spencer, the arrogant and stupid son of a leader back in Alexandria. Even that seemed a bit far fetched. But this scene with the guy and girlfriend snogging, totally unaware of walkers, and after they were rescued, complaining about the interruption and a bit mess in the process, and the little shit whining about the smell before... sorry, that was just ridiculous. Ten years+ into the apocalypse? We still have little princes like this? Maybe so, if he's been sheltered here from the start. But still, it was a ridiculous scene and how Eugene didn't even try to tell them what actually happened to defend himself. It was, however, extremely satisfying too watch Eugene punch the annoying little shit in the face.

Another irritating scene was Yumiko's brother getting dragged away by security after his disclosure to his sister how no one should know that's he's a surgeon? Why would they have this discussion in a place that is most likely surveyed? How about the good old open air? And I get that our people are being punished to clear walkers from the buildings, but they wouldn't even give them any protective gear when they obviously have plenty? Why on earth not? This all seems ridiculous to me. Certainly the question “how have you been treated since you got here” can only be answered with negatives. But yeah, they have walls and cake. Is that enough to balance things? Can anyone imagine Daryl Dixon ever choosing to live here? No wonder he’ll be off soon. This whole Commonwealth thing I’m finding more and more ludicrous. The only interesting bit was that it appears Yumiko has just encountered the real Stephanie.

Now to the good stuff:

I'm very curious about the encounter between father Gabriel and the reapers' crazy priest. Surely he should have seen Gabriel too. There will be more on this in the next episode, surely.

Maggie and Negan reaching another level of understanding was good. I liked the honesty, harsh as it was. The herding was clever. Negan teaching Maggie was actually funny. I hope Daryl will still recognise our people in those Whisperers masks and cotton onto what they're doing in good time.

The moment when Maggie recognised Elijah's sister amongst the walkers, and then her comforting Elijah, without words, whilst walking with the dead, that was very beautifully done.

Daryl/Leah stuff: ok, so Leah can still make her own decisions and defy the nutcase reaper in charge. That's reassuring. This is all heading to Leah having to make a choice between Daryl and her so-called family (in which they seem to regularly put each other on fire, including her). This is likely to happen in a heat of a moment (pun intended) as Daryl was interrupted when he tried to suss out Leah at the end of this episode. Will they have a chance for another conversation now when everything will come to a head next episode? And I wonder if Leah will survive this. Somehow I don't want her to return with them to Alexandria. She could have a heroic death protecting Daryl, how about that?

Princess is still adorable. Zeke getting treatment is fantastic.

Very excited about the next episode!

#2 BlackBird, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

It is 8.5 to me.

About that obnoxious son of the governor, he is not a teenager any more. He looks like in his 20's. But still, he is just like those boys picking on Judith in the last episode.
    and I do not understand how those walkers (not one but a number) sneak passed the security perimeter.

Is the secretary of the governor Milton the actual Stephanie? I am confused. I checked the IMDB credit which lists her as Stephanie Vega while the other Stephanie just as Stephanie.
    Hmmm...this is interesting. If the Stephanie that is currently hanging around with Eugene is not the real Stephanie, then she is probably just a spy sent by the Commonwealth to spy on Eugene. But how could Eugene be so easily tricked even though he is emotionally involved. Maybe he is also pretending? (I mean, Eugene could easily discover the true identity by asking a few casual questions that he and the real Stephanie talked about over the radio.)

The Reapers priest is interesting too. I bet he did not see Gabe but Gabe saw him. And that Gabe did not mention this to Maggie could mean that Gabe knew this guy and likely has a history with him. My bet is:- he is either Gabe's assistant (or a deacon of his congregation) and Gabe shut the door on him back then. And this is a part of Gabe's past that Gabe is not ready to face at that moment. This could be one of the promises broken, regarding to the episode title. What else? What other promises are broken and hinted/shown in this episode? I wonder if it also refers to Maggie's promise to Negan.

I can only recognize that is Elijah's sister as she has exactly the same hairdo as Elijah! This could be an explosive moment, much like Carol first seeing zombie Sophia. They should probably give a little bit more time for Elijah to react than just showing Maggie's holding Elijah's hand.

Lastly, if Leah survives, then Leah/Connie/Daryl will be three's company. We had Rosita/Siddiq/Gabe before but this time we have 2 women going for 1 guy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'm able to compartmentalize the show, putting aside all of the Commonwealth nonsense I was still able to enjoy the episode, primarily due to the Negan.

I loved the scene where Maggie asked if he'd do it all differently. The audience is expecting the usually, "Yes, I had regrets and would be a better person etc." Then Negan hits her with "I would've killed every single one of you."

Then he goes on to make the point that it's what they're actually doing now, keeping their own people alive against other groups. So I thought all of that was well done. I even liked Maggie in this episode.

That Pope jackass really deserves to die by a Whisperer style attack. Enjoying this twist in the story, that they're using techniques they've learned. It's the perfect ending for this part of the story.

I don't see Leah surviving. And that's fine. I really don't like her character very much.

Looking forward to the attack on Pope and his band of fools next week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stealth

I don't see Leah surviving, particularly since the show is ending. Maybe if we were a few seasons ago they might've had her join the group, but it doesn't make sense now.

I didn't even think of that point, Daryl needing to figure out Negan's plan. But I feel when he sees such a huge herd he's going to wonder, and then when they eventually get in he's going to know walkers alone couldn't have done that.

. Also, he wouldn't want to fight that herd, even if it was just walkers, when they could do the work of annihilating this group for him. After fighting the Whisperers too he's probably going to be able to identify those wearing masks.

Can't wait to see Pope to go down this way. It's going to be enjoyable to watch.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Stealth

I think you're onto something about the priest. The guy seems a bit older than Gabriel, so maybe he was a mentor for him at some point in his life. I agree though that he didn't see Gabriel. He was just talking to God and it made it seem like he was directing it at Gabe.

Once they breach that compound I think we'll have a one on one between Gabriel and that guy. It'll be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BlackBird

Yes, a few things don’t add up here. Surely fake Stephanie would have given herself away a few times by now. No matter how much info she’s gotten out of the real Stephanie. But the Secretary Stephanie wears the same glasses and she was desperate to get info from Yumiko about the others… Eugene! It’s all rather convoluted. But that fake Stephanie has very different personality and no charisma, no chemistry with Eugene. And the way she led him to the radio room in broad daylight on day 1 after they got processed? And of course they were busted two minutes later, - that was all so contrived and an obvious setup. She must be fake and the Secretary is the real one.

A very good question, and I think you might be right. There was also something discussed between Maggie and Elijah about saving a certain kill for the other as promised - I’ll need to rewatch. Did they talk about Negan? Or someone amongst the Reapers?

Hm. Two women trying to claim
    Daryl… now that might even be fun, considering just how awkward that would make Daryl feel. Probably run off with dog to the woods on a extended hunting expedition. But seriously, I don’t think neither of these women would be interested in a contest to vie for Daryl’s attention. Leah too proud, Connie too selfless. It would be best to get Leah out of the way completely, me thinks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

It was a good episode. I really like the interaction between Negan and Maggie. She did make a good whisperer.

Since I have read the comics, I appreciate that Sebastian was a whiny rich kid on the show. He played that perfect.

I am however over the whole Leah and the reapers story. I’d say the episode was an 8/10

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  10. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Just saw the episode and I enjoyed it. A solid 8.

The more I see of the Commonwealth, the more I give it a thumbs down. It’s wonderful that they have such a good life but they also brought forward a lot of what made their old world inequitable. Tomi being hauled off because why? TPTB have discovered that he’s really a doctor? Looking like they may have planted a fake Stephanie? Ms. Milton acting like a dictator and raising a spoiled, rotten son that everyone has to ass kiss? Could no one discern what had actually happened? Loved Ezekiel and the lollipops. Cute moment in a bummer experience for our group so far.

I really enjoyed the Negan and Maggie interactions. Brutal but necessary if they’re going to work together. Using the Whisperer’s tactics was brilliant and Negan giving Walker lessons and doing mask alterations was fun.

It was comforting to me, and Daryl as well I’m sure, to see that Leah couldn’t kill the father and son…not even the bitten mom.
    I think being around Daryl has restored some of her humanity however that runs contrary to Pope’s take no prisoners policy. I don’t think it’s gonna end well. There’s gonna be tears…..probably mine, lol.

I’m not sure what to expect with crazy priests, and ménage a trois involving Daryl so I’ll wait and see what happens.o_O;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Blueman

I think an appropriate end for this Pope character is that he was burned to death by fire instead of, say, eaten by walkers. Then, Daryl will say, ''Pope, you are unchosen by God now''. Somehow I suspect Pope is really not religious but is just using religion and God to make him standing on a high moral ground to do his evil and selfish work.

12. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Same here. Then again people are dropping like flies off this forum.

And just a theory but Neuro seemed to like the idea of this show going on and on and on. Now that it has been announced that it is officially ending may have made him lose interest a bit.

I specifically remember him saying that he liked the idea of this show being in it's fourteenth or fifteenth season.

#12 lastcat3, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  13. BlackBird

Well that’s very true to all fanatic leaders who try to justify their actions with their religion, to the world and to themselves. Of course love and forgiveness are at the heart of all religions so yes… massacring another community to take over their place and resources is certainly pushing the boundaries of Christianity just a tad.

14. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

The Commonwealth seems like Alexandria on steroids. Yes, they're larger and better organized, for now, but with that snotty little shit of a kid on the date you can see the cracks in the walls already.

15. Stealth

The Commonwealth is really falling flat. It feels even more artificial on the show than it did in the comics. When you have the rest of the TWD world circling the drain as resources diminish, and the struggle between groups becomes more fierce, it just doesn't make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stealth

Yeah, I don't know. The TWD world is still going on with the Carol/Daryl spinoff. I'm guessing a few of the regulars will join Melissa McBride and Norman Reedus in it. I know he was disgusted with Fear, but I thought he still had interest in the original series.

17. ChrisAnn

ChrisAnn Member

I suspected the secretary being the real Stephanie as soon as I saw her.

Negan....I still don't trust the guy. And did anyone else wonder if the actor was wearing a hair piece?

I'm also finding it difficult to believe that all of this is leading up to the final episode. Nothing seems connected, I can't find the right word to use. And where the h-ll are Rick and Michone, are we expected to see them again?

18. ChrisAnn

ChrisAnn Member

There's a Carol/Daryl spinoff???

19. Blueman

For those who have read the comics, please comment on the protective gear that the Commonwealth soldiers wear.
    The 'armour' looks like hard plastic to me. It certainly is not meant to be bullet proof. Does a full gear provide full protection against walkers? I mean, when a person has a full set on, it seems a walker does not have a good place to bite.

20. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

For right now there is. Who knows for certain though if it really is going to happen with how much this franchise has gone off the rails in the past few years.

A lot of these numerous decisions about movies and spinoffs were made when the ratings were still pretty good. Now that it's main show is only getting a bit above a million viewers an episode who knows how many of these plans will actually come to fruition.