Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rate season 4

Discussion in 'Episode 416 - … I Lose Myself' started by Sharpie61, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Rate it 1 - 10 and why

2. carolsubmissive

carolsubmissive Active Member

It's certainly been a season of two halfs!

The front half, IMO, was excellent! Full of surprises, good introduction to a new cast. Morgan felt a little out of place and forced, his inclusion a bit unnecessary but he's a strong actor and adds a bit of star power. I felt like it was gritty and dark and actually quite well written. Losing Mad C was a shame but at least no cliffhanger!

The back half, an absolute disaster, what could've been a brilliant story involving our group being split and dealing with a natural disaster (hurricane) during an apocalypse, something that's never been done in TWD universe. Instead we got a lame rip off of FTWD's version of the road to Terminus, coupled with the worst pantomime villain ever, who's motives for destruction are completely unbelievable and who is absolutely irrelevant to any of the characters story arcs. It's felt like 8 episodes of filler because they're not sure which direction to take the show

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Basset Walker

Basset Walker Member

I agree with carolsubmissive. The first half was so well done and the second half was a disaster. They could've condensed most of the last 7 episodes into about 2 to reach the point we are now (wherever that is.....) and developed a real story line instead of what they gave us.
    Hoping the season finale does SOMETHING to redeem the fiasco they've created, but not really expecting it. Getting rid of the new villianess would be a great start - she is one of the least believable and worst written characters they've had on the either show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I dunno. I don't think I can actually give it a fair rating.

It's just not Fear The Walking Dead anymore. In almost any sense. It's very much a completely different show, but all of the changes are negatives. And it's difficult to even give props on rebooting the show in a different style, because it takes away from so much of the past and every change has been completely jarring.

So it's hard to rate because I won't be rating the season on it's own merit, but by how it holds up to what came before it.

But regardless, I'd give it a 4/10.

The whole visual look of the show has gone downhill and then tumbled off a cliff, into an exploding dam and completely disappeared, just like that storyline. Characters like Madison were needlessly changed to fit the show's new narrative. Morgan was brought into the show to do nothing different than he did on TWD. Luciana was brought back from the void with her return left unexplained because they wanted a hot Latina around.

The best part about this season has been some of the newer cast. Maggie Grace as Althea and Garret Dillahunt as Dorie have been positives. I like the concept of the storm, but the execution just felt like they were following the formula. Find an excuse to split people up, pad the season with character-centric bottle episodes, wrap everything up in the last 2.

I love Fear, but they really need to up their game from this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sharpie61

I’ve been a bit disappointed with the entire season. It didn’t have the same intense quality that 3 had. Maybe it has to do with killing off almost the entire cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Sharpie61, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I can only give it a 4 out of 10 and that's mostly because the back half has been awful. The worst part about the first half was the apparent death of Madison, but I still say they've left that door open and I think this show needs her back. It was kind of stupid to have a group sitting outside the ballpark basically doing a siege while letting Madison's group still go in and out.
    Sick of the black and white scenes. And the entire season has been way too touchy feely. Stick to the action. The idiocy of Morgan not knowing what direction he's going in, John and Strand not being able to cross a 2 foot deep river, Alicia blindly driving through said river without knowing it was 2 feet deep and above all the filthy woman storyline. That actress may be very good, but the role written for her is crap.

7. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Hoping the finale is a payoff episode. If it's just a conclusion episode, this whole season will have been a gigantic F.

We'll see tonight.

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I think I have to rate the season just as they air the season....two separate ratings, one for the first 8 and one for last 8

season 4A: I liked Alicia in this half. I liked Althea in this half. I liked the guy who was attacked by the cactus walker. BUT they killed off Nick (I know, I know he wanted out - which came to be a smart move on Frank's part) and then killing Madison. Although I did not like what they had done to Madison's character in season 4. So if she was no longer going to be season 3 Madison then I am not all that butt hurt over her death. The lot lizards (i.e. mel's gang) were the dumbest most lackluster so called villains EVER. The filter/coloring is a HUGE negative.
    RATING: hmmmm 6.6/10

season 4B: I still like Alicia but if they keep moving her in the direction of Madison 4A then I will be tested. I still like Althea but get over the damn "van" thing and just put the tapes in your back pack. Still hate the filter/coloring choice...not color but not quite black and white.
    RATING: hmmmmm feeling generous and will give it a 4.0/10

9. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I agree with the Hooker that taken in FTWD as a whole, this season made no ****ing sense. I still really enjoyed the first few episodes and I had the impression that it was finally going somewhere interesting (not a big fan of the show). I don't know if these episodes should get me to up the overall score or if the disappointment of what followed should flatten everything to a 2/10. I guess I'll stay with Sebrebc and wait a few hours to make my mind.

One thing for certain, dear WD writers, if you really feel the need to have "villains" in these series, please try to come up with characters that at least try to be coherent and interesting. Both the Vultures and that grieving filthy woman were total crap.

10. NakedCity

We were writing at the same time... You know what they say about great minds.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I agree with what carolsubmissive wrote. It’s been a let down this season, especially after 4A. Even in 4A I only looked forward to the Dell Diamond storyline. As 4B progressed, i started to get frustrated with each episode but still appreciated the characters and work of the actors, especially with Alicia, June, Althea, and Martha, etc. Still, overall, it was not my favorite season and was a disappointment. Have to give it a 5/10. The ending however seemed promising so we’ll see!

12. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

The first half was my all time favorite sequence. That was a 10. The second half is so awful, but I wouldn't give any episode a zero. So I think the average must be at least 6. I hope it pulls up from this nose dive next season. The worst villain this season was the writers.

13. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Season 3 was better but this had a very odd rollercoaster thing going, I think Nick should never been killed. Madison was weird too, and Daniel just being gone? Don't like that. I did expect them to go to Alexandria to stock up on some more faces as Rick and Maggie will be gone and this group got some morale compasses, Ricks gang is losing those one by one. Morgan and John would be perfect for the Hershel and Dale role with a extra dose of bad ass but nope. I give it a 6-7. Some dips to 3-4 and some heights to 8-9 in episodes which makes it land soundly at 6-7.

EDIT: Something I think need to be stated to, it is a bit weird that we have Morgan as a leader now pretty much, it bee na spin off all the time but now it feels more as a 100% Alexandria crew spin off with Morgan here, I hope to see the two communties meet sometime at the least. But Madison death was needed I think, she would probably not follow Morgan at all. Considering how crazy she could get. And Ironically, how convenient she would end up in Als tapes by the way. But yeah, its even more spin off to the main show now than a thing of its own in the world of The Walking Dead.

#13 Marc, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

To be fair I have to divide it up into two halves. Although I had some problems with the midseason finale, the story was well done and they really kept me interested in the final payoff. Nick's death episode was excellent, and was like the old TWD where you're left shocked by a character's sudden death. So I give that half an 8.

The second half was a complete disaster. There's no excuse for it either since they proved in 4A that they're capable of writing a decent story. There were some unintentional funny moments though, like June talking to Morgan on the radio as the walkers closed in. And also the cheesy dialogue in the finale, as the characters thought they were dying. "At least I got to the beach!" LOL

So the back half gets a 2 from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

The second half was so bad that I can't even remember what the first half of S4 was like, and to list reasons why the back half was bad would probably eclipse the character limit for a BB post.
    I'll go with a 'what have you done for me lately' rating and give the season a 2/10.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I think this whole season was laughable save and except a couple of episodes in first half. Those were the only things that saved it. Nick's dying was a shocker. And it seemed like the entire show lost steam after that. Morgan's inconsistencies are really getting annoying. This "i lose myself when i lose people" has been done to death.

The back half? Ill give it a 1. And thats ONLY because i used up 8 hours of my life. I really really wish they HAD gone to Alexandria. In my opinion, its the only thing that would draw me to return and watch next season.

That season finale was something else. Spent the entire episode saying or thinking WTF?

Only good thing about finale is that there is one more week to go for TWD!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Sharpie61

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I will agree that it is as plausible as anything else the writers themselves might come up with.

Hell, at this juncture the Forbes scenario might actually be more believable than what the showrunners have in mind. And it pains me greatly to give Forbes or any of its staff any mentions of possibly bein correct about something :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

And I am on side of SOME of the cast of FTWD making it Alexandria.

Alicia - Yes
    Strand - Yes, as long as he loses some of his cocky swagger
    Morgan - Yes but for all that is good and holy get over the all life is presh I lose people then myself BS
    Althea - Of all the new characters I like her the most. The best line in last night's episode was at the end when she said "what? I have layers"
    Charlie - the character gets a lot of hate but I actually would like to see more of her. As far as child actors she is probably the best that the TWD universe has.
    Honorable Mention goes to Luciana - I would be okay if she ended up in Alexandria

20. NakedCity

I'll go with:
    Alicia - Yes
    Strand - Please no
    Morgan - GTFO you had your chance
    Althea - Well I guess she could wrap up a documentary on tomatoes, but nah, go record some more paint drying elsewhere
    Charlie - No little psychos needed in our kindergarden, nope
    Luciana - Bah, I guess she can be as useful as a lamp in any of the two shows

• Funny Funny x 1