Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rate the 8.

Discussion in 'Episode 908 - Evolution' started by Seventh_son, Nov 26, 2018.

?

Rate the 8.

1. 10 (Look what they've done to my show, Ma!)

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. 9

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 8

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Look what they've done to my show, Ma...)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

It's easy and fun for the whole family!

Now that 9A is wrapped up, how would you grade it as a whole from 1-10?

Shock of all shocks, I give it a big ol' 10. I'm STILL in disbelief that they turned the show around like this. It's such a rarity that a show gets a second life like this, let alone in it's 9th season. The only comparison I can really think of is (of all things) Cheers. When Long left the general consensus was "well, that was fun while it lasted". Enter Alley, and the ratings went through the roof.

Someone here (forgive me, I don't remember who) made the comment that more happened in this half-season than in the last two years, and they were absolutely right. We're moving at a clip now, and it seems each episode is over in a blink. And my tongue is hanging out like Dog for what they've set up.

Congrats, Walking Dead. You've pulled a rabbit out of your hat. More please!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I said somewhere else that I think this is the most solid 8 consecutive episodes in a long time, perhaps since the first 8 episodes of the series. I give them a 9.5. Yes its definitely rare that a show is starting a brand new story arc going in to season 9. I'm more excited about this season than I have been in at least a couple years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Great thread......allow me one suggestion though, you should add a poll

If I tally up each rating I gave for each episode I come up with an average Dnae rating of 8.875

Hind sight is certainly 20/20. Some of reasons I gave "low" ratings of 8 seem out of place now that the 8 episodes have aired and I can see the rhyme and the reason

So I am taking liberties and rounding my season 9A to a wonderfully robust round number of 9

A 10 (from me) would require all 8 episodes to be flawless and while I did love each of them they were not without their blemishes.

#3 Dnae, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Going with Dnae's method, I get to a solid 7,5 - and that was brought down by the rating I gave to the midseason's finale out of frustration (little gimmicks that were avoided until then). It really didn't deserve that low a grade.

I'll give 9A a solid 8. And I agree with Neuro, might be the best half we've had.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Seventh_son

This is a great idea, but as my new avatar makes abundantly clear I am in no way qualified to perform this feat. Oh, and my cat's breath smells like fish!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Well there is that!

Stop feeding your cat fish!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seventh_son

Got it. Thanks for the idea @Dnae!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The meal everyone was eating at the Hilltop actually came from the gardens on set. There was yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, corn and peppers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

LOL I love the 1 and 10 ratings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Seventh_son

Aw, thanks! Seemed appropriate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I do not get it

13. Seventh_son

A play on the old Melanie song "Look what they've done to my song, Ma", in which she laments how the recording industry has turned her life inside out.

14. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

I give it a 10.

Incredible introduction of a new villain, great overall story and buildup to the friction that's occurred between the communities.

The actors did an excellent job of pulling it off.

The show is stronger than ever and that is an accomplishment in itself considering this is S9 so yeah I agree with the consensus on that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

I gave it a 10 because I honestly can't remember enjoying a half-season more than this one.
    Angela Kang has set a great pace for the story and I feel like we're getting more meaningful/believable dialogue.
    I also love the dynamic of the new group.
    I hated the killing of Jesus, but I also hated the killing of Glenn and Abraham. It's just part of the type of show it is. The fact that they make me so upset by these deaths is a tribute to the writing and acting.
    I can't wait to see where they go next.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I gave it a 10. Not every episode was a 10, but the overall storytelling was a 10.

I love the backstory style of storytelling, especially after missing such a large chunk of time. Ftwd tried it and failed miserably. I have faith that Angela can do it right. The way we are getting hints of what happened during the time jump is great. Gives us so much to speculate over and it appears we have at least two, maybe more, big reveals coming. Plus the current story is interesting. New peoole, Henry trying to fit into a new community. A new enemy. All under this cloud of mystery over what happened during the last 6 years.

The whisperers introduction was perfect. Not being a comic reader but having a basic understanding of what they are. People who wear skin and hang out with walkers. I didn't think that would work on the show. It feels like an idea better displayed in a comic book.

Yet they pulled it off perfectly. The first whisperer ducking under Jesus's swing and stabbing him. Shit, that's a top 5 moment of the entire series for me. Watching them come running out of the fog. Even though I knew they were people, it was such a jarring thing to see. We could understand their confusion over the whole thing.

And Daryl...yes my boy is awesome. I think he started to understand what was going on. He knew they weren't evolving. He knew something was up. You could see him working it out. I like that he's still busted up over Rick and doesn't want to let him go. I love that he's missing a wing. It goes right along with my winged vest theory. He's not taking charge and becoming the leader of a community, he's taking charge and becoming *one of* the leaders.

I like that we are getting a mix of s3 Michonne with the softer more understanding Michonne.

Carol....Carol just can't stop setting people on fire. This is what, the second time she's burned people alive. To go along with the time she burned David and Karen....at least she killed them first. She's still a total badass.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Seventh_son

I truly admire your logic and analytical skills. Spock would blush.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Wow that's a lot of 10s. Lol.

No question the first half of this season is one of the best ever. I mean it's rivaling seasons 6 and 5 for me, two of my favorites. But I think I'll hold off on giving it a 10 as there are certainly a few things that could have been done better or made more sense. I do give it a 8.5. Sure Rick, Maggie and Jesus are all gone and some things surrounding how the exits happened are head scratching. But overall it's been a damn fine season so far. The best thing about it is how they've set the second half up to be just as good with all of the unanswered questions we all have.

#18 Weallgotit, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1