Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Realistic Actions are not Lazy Writing.

Discussion in 'Episode 405 - Internment' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I keep seeing thread after thread of lazy writing this, and lazy writing that. Rick didn't respond fast enough, so lazy writing, all the doors in the prison didn't get shut, so lazy writing...blah blah blah...These are average human beings we are following. Rick and Carol and Hershel don't have the luxury of sitting down to overpriced and undertasting coffee in a Hollywood penthouse with a keypad and a purse dog for 8 hours a day thinking of all the flaws in their emergent actions. The only Real lazy writing would be if the writers had the characters do everything right, every time. I've only been in 3 or 4 ZA's, and one alien invasion in my life, but I've experienced enough apocalypses to know that people make A LOT of mistakes during them. They don't act like characters who were created on a laptop computer at a bagel house. They act like people. Get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Only 4? loser!

Agreed though. Mistakes are a good thing in a realistic narrative.

3. Neuropyramidal

Well, I was also forced to watch the first Twilight movie once, and I spent a long weekend in Southern Jersey during hot dog season. Both more traumatic than a ZA.

4. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I was forced to watch it twice. My third eye still hasn't grown back.

5. Neuropyramidal

And even if one doesn't like the fact that Rick didn't respond to the gun shot, why is that 'lazy' writing? What, would they have to use a heavier pen if the scene had involved Rick accompanying Maggie?? Would they have had to type with a keyboard that had half a raisin and some outdated pudding stuck under the keys?

6. charlieez

charlieez Member

I definitely agree that the complaints about lazy writing are pretty ridiculous. Now I do think that sometimes the writing is not as good as I'd like it to be, but that's not lazy writing, that's the writers choice.

The only time I really get annoyed (besides the DAMN FENCE - for the love of God, please do something intelligent about the fence) is when a character does something that contradicts what that character has done in the past or has been building to without an explanation. But sometimes this explanation isn't immediate, so even then I have to take a breath and show some patience.

The only thing (besides the fence) that has my back up this season is Rick so easy putting Tyreese on his ass. I mean come on.

Camm ahhhhhhnnn!

7. Porfivor Nixon

I don't think it's lazy writing, but I do agree that it was a questionable move. It would be more palatable if someone, in asking Herschel to explain the details, asked him why he didn't make sure the cells were closed or perhaps they could make a point of telling him if the same situation occurs, it might be wise to make sure the cells are closed.

8. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

Had a bf once - he was a total douche but to his credit always paid for my movie ticket. When i wasn't with him anymore, I went out with a friend who wanted to see Twilight (ugh!) ....I went, paid for my own ticket in like 5 years and ...yeah. Worst decision ever. I wish my eyes hadnt had to go through that. I'd take swimming through a lake of walker drool any day. Double wammi. Crap movie AND i paid :(

9. Neuropyramidal

Damn, that guy was whipped. I like to go dutch from time to time. :p

10. Neuropyramidal

Well, sure keeping the cells closed would be wise. But as humans, our decisions are far from all wise, lol. I mean, just the other day, I wore corduroy pants.

11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

What I want to see, are the resumes of these people who complain about the show's "lazy writing".

I want them to show me what episodes of Breaking Bad they wrote scripts for. Yeah!

Hell.... It doesn't even have to be a GREAT tv show either. I'll be satisfied if one of the haters comes forward and says that they wrote the script for Buck Rogers or Full House! At least then I could have some measure of confidence that they actually TRIED writing a script and KNOW what they're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with fans criticizing a television program whether they like it or not. Say the show sucks, or it's boring, or it's not realistic or whatever. Say whatever you want about the show. But saying that the writing is "lazy" when you probably have no idea about what it takes to write for a show, and the level of commitment involved, is kind of stupid.

The cast and crew (including the writers) work like 12-16 hour days just so we can sit on our fat lazy asses on a couch and be entertained. Wow! These writers deserve a little more respect than that.

12. mfinley

mfinley Member

I don't know about lazy writing.

But what I think the writers have missed is a greater opportunity in the series.

The fence / walker problem to me was a bad choice. I understand why they went that way. But beyond the problems with trying to make the problem so dangerous and having to ignore simple, logical solutions to keep it so..

what the writers passed up, is if they had gone in a different direction, such as giving the survivors relative peace for a time at the prison with a lower threat level, this season's beginning could have been more about the progress made toward a normal existance at the prison, with lots of advancements in their comfort and relatively safety due to all the hard work they put into it.

THEN you bring in the governor and see all of it be destroyed! Now seeing them go from their emotional highs and seeing all those hopes dashed to smithereens so quickly, now that is drama. To see all their hard work all their hopes destroyed, that would really be something.

What there will be is the governor drives them out from basically a shit hole that sucks anyways, isnt safe, has been nothing but a death trap, just a good bye and good riddance. It's time to go? So what, good riddance. It's one thing to have your enemy drive you out of a refuge that was your paradise, it's another to be driven out of something that sucked anyways.

#12 mfinley, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  13. charlieez

charlieez Member

He was closing the doors. He just missed one, I think that's an acceptable mistake.

14. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to go ahead and fully agree with both of you....in the same thread....on the same subject.

;D

15. charlieez

charlieez Member

What you've just described here, is episode 1 and 2 except instead of the Guvnah destroying "new eden" it was the plague.

- council
    - barbecue
    - farm
    - bacon
    - horse and stable
    - bacon
    - treehouse love nest
    - water barrels
    - organized runs
    - storytime

It's been 3-6 months (if I remember correctly) and they been focusing on building a community. Everyone's seems pretty happy until the plague hits.

16. Neuropyramidal

I enjoy bacon.

17. Neuropyramidal

What, you mean you've disagreed with us about something in the past?? This can't be.

18. charlieez

charlieez Member

I too enjoy teh bacon!!

19. Neuropyramidal

Bacon wrapped scallops.

20. Retard_O_Doom98

The issue with that is then you end up with people complaining about not enough happening. The writers are trying that with the, yay we beat the plague! O jesus why is a pirate setting us on fire with scotch? That way theres no dull filler episode but instead a double punch. No true despair without hope?