Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Reasons for a divorce

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by IncognitoForever, Jan 11, 2015.

?

common causes for divorce

1. financial

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. boredom

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. infedility

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. physical/substance abuse

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. other

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. grew apart

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. IncognitoForever

IncognitoForever Active Member

What a depressing topic and unfortunately for some people that will be the best thing that will happen to them. I'd like to think that I have been instilled with an old soul because I would like to remain married for as long as I can. My parents have been married for 37 years and still married. They started out young, but my stoic and overbearing mom at times have had talks to me about marriage lecturing me that you should always honor your husband, do not do anything to disgrace his name and you stay married and do not ever come back home, you are in it for the long haul. She is serious business! My dad says similar too, but on the other hand he has always been a kid at heart and I think that is where I get my humor from. Also, I am not like most girls of my heritage LOL. By 25 you would have already popped out 4 kids by now and here I am going on 35 with no husband or kids under my belt yet. I might be a late bloomer? I can't predict my future but whoever I end up marrying to become Mr. Jubi I hope to stay marry till I croak. I was raised with values you can say, yet I have always been one to be rebellious and even temperamental. I just don't think or behave like a normal girly girl would.

Rambling aside, what are the reasons why the divorce rates in America is so staggering? I only used America because it's rather true. Would you be one to hold on to your marriage, or if you found a flaw in your spouse and couldn't deal with it, you're going to divorce him/her for that flaw? Don't even pay attention to the celebrities and Hollywood. Some of them do not take marriage seriously at all.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The idea of holding the contract of marriage above all else is ridiculous. Flaws are one thing, but if someone becomes abusive, or cold, or distant, or if the love fades away, then sometimes we have to respect ourselves and move on. We only get one life, and that life is worth more than a contract. Life is too short to stay unhappy. What a married couple decides regarding the future of their marriage is their business, and certainly should not be influenced by either of the spouses' parents. I'm not married either, but if my parents ever told me that once I got married, I had to stay that way, I'd tell them to go f themselves. :p

#2 Neuropyramidal, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  3. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

all of the topics in the poll justify a divorce, as would sexual imcompatibility and persistant criminal activity
    we live in a world where we can easily replace something that no longer works or pleases us some peopl go into marriage with that in mind so they do not committ to behaviours conducive to keeping a monogamous marriage alive . They expecte to be free to sample the grass that looks greener on the other side even if it will destroy their marriage. This is the kind of ****er you need to divorce in a heartbeat.

#3 Toothpick, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I add 'grew apart' to your poll list.

A lot of the time people just grow apart, mature at different rates, want different things some time down the track.

My ex & I just grew apart, there was no abuse or ill feelings. We still cared (still care) about each other, but we just grew apart..

He is multinational company IT consultant who travels over to Asia a lot with work and my career took me off on a journey too. We spent too much time apart and the spark was one day gone..

Love him to bits, but he feels more like a brother to me than a significant other or ex partner...

5. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with you on many of your points Jubi lation. I, too, have that old fashion sense of honour and commitment for a spouse, whether married or not... I'm not one to care about the piece of paper in terms of commitment and those values, they have to be there from the get go. I do think a lot of people expect a marriage certificate to somehow fix and recommit themselves to things that should have been there or even 'fixed' beforehand.

I also think that two people should bring out the best in eachother. If they are bringing out the worst in eachother, or bringing 1 down all the time, and things aren't equal in ways you decide - or you do not have eachothers back, or have eachother as being the top priority - then I also think it's almost determined to fail.

I've only had one very serious relationship which lasted not quite 4 years, and it ended because I was being used, manipulated, and taken advantage of, emotionally dumped on a lot too, always a drama a minute etc. It wasn't always like that, but more often than not it was - and especially toward the end I was the one who always gave, and had to compromise, etc. Anything I wanted, or any opinion or issue I had was deemed as unwarranted and misguided or a 'problem' I myself had, which ended up making me very self conscious and with no confidence in myself.

Took me a long time to see what others warned and tried to point out to me, because I so desperately wanted it to work. So it Broke my heart to really get into it with her and try to sort out the issue, only to realize that she had checked out a LONG time ago, and had little care factor for my feelings, and honestly didn't care if I left and ended it.
    Of course to her and her friends I became the villain and it broke me as a person so much so I moved away from the city we lived just to start again. In hindsight I was indeed being manipulated for a long time and had a lot taken from me emotionally and financially. But it's the emotional that really takes its toll.

To even imagine being in another relationship pains me to think about, and it's made me very guarded and suspicious of people which I hate.

6. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

It's evident that most of our forum members know that I am Asian and I was merely trying to give insight to the culture on how they view marriage. They regard family and revere the husband/father as the patriarch, so anything that dishonors the family name falls upon back to the patriarch. I also did imply that getting a divorce would have been the best decision one would have made. For instance if my future husband checks out of the marriage and no longer wants to be married, I won't implore him to stay. I do go by the 'don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out'.

And at 87 you're still not married? Better get to it, you need to populate your own lil island before a giant meteor from outer space kills all earthlings! I don't know why I get such a sick and twisted pleasure out of teasing you.

7. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

Right on! I also do not condone an abusive relationship, whether that be verbal, physical or both.

8. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

No problem at all that you added another option.
    It is bittersweet when I hear of stories of how two married people whom once use to be in love only for them to go their separate ways down the road. As long as it is amicable and both people remain civil and on friendly terms.

9. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

@CheesyBirdMess you are definitely not alone. That is wise bits of knowledge coming from you. I have been with guys, most of them of my heritage, and some of them have been utter disappointments. Because they feel that since the man has the right of way first, that gives them the right to disregard their woman or walk all over her? I can't stand being in a relationship where they make one feel oppressed. And being one who comes with a feminist mind, I won't tolerate it. The day hell freezes over is when I'll ever take back a lousy ex that has done me wrong. My pride is much too big and once that door is closed, that's it. He needs to redeem himself to the next girl he gets with. I have shown vulnerability in the past where it has only come back to knick me in the butt, so I won't be so foolish anymore. I still do get paranoid to a point that the next guy I get with is just going to use or take advantage of me so I have my walls ready to go back up. Or I tend to come off as snarky and bitchy at him to thwart him off. lol. It's wrong to do that, I know.

10. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Large life insurance policy.

11. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

On top of higher divorce rates and people getting married later in life, I find many people just have no desire to get married at all, for whatever reason they deem fit.

I also come from a rather traditional culture, and the fact that I'm a homo with no plans to marry, and my brother who also doesn't really consider it a priority, you can imagine my parents really going crazy lol.

I used to feel bad a couple of years ago thinking "oh well my parents want that big ceremony" or "oh they want little annoying as **** grandkids," but I've gotten over that and refuse to feel bullied or obligated into doing something I have no interest it. I don't find this selfish at all.

IF that changes, I want it to be because of me and not because of someone else. It's my decision to make, and my life to live!

12. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

OMFG! I typed out a well worded response to all this, and I was logged out. I knew I should have copied it just in case. *sigh*

Basically it said no kids or marriage for me. The End.

13. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't let a shitty ex relationship break you or get in your way of happiness.

Try this website, Baggage Reclaim, It's all about healing-letting-go & becoming empowered in relationships.

http://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/

[​IMG]

14. IncognitoForever

That is true. And dude I think you're fine the way you are! Marriage isn't for everyone and many people, a decade or more older than I am have found contentment and happiness in life without a spouse. Or some will shack up together and be lifelong partners without going through all the legal stipulations. Yet I believe that there is someone made for everyone in this universe and when you meet him/her you'll know. Sadly most of us will have to go through some bad ones before the right one comes along. That's just the way it goes. Live for yourself first, and not to please others. My culture is strict and the majority frown at girls like myself because I'm too outspoken or enjoy and do things that is not of cultural standards and norm. But I don't care. At least my folks still love me that is all that matters.

15. IncognitoForever

Lol if that's your prerogative that is fine too.

16. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Basically what I said was a Mexican chick that's 30 with no kids is an anomaly, and that's how my family views me. But whatever I'm annoyed by most of them. Thankfully my parents don't care, as long as I'm happy.

My bf and I both did not want kids before we even met. We've been together forever, longer than some of my friends have even known their husbands. We live together, pay bills together, vacation together, and we are each other's best friends. Marriage terrifies me. We're fine the way we are.

Not to say that I think anything bad about marriage. It's beautiful for the right people.

17. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Reasons for divorce... I think at the base of most issues is that people get sick of each other lol.

18. IncognitoForever

Then that shall fall into the boredom option!

19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Plus, after about 15 months of marriage, men want full fart freedom.

20. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the great thing about our modern society, we're not forced to be or do anything that isn't being true to ourselves..

Marriage is a just piece of paper.