Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick blows Sofia away but can't knock off Dale?

Discussion in 'Episode 211 - Judge, Jury, Executioner' started by RoadWarrior, Mar 4, 2012.

1. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Don't really understand that one.

2. Devon

Devon New Member

This whole episode is focused on killing the living. Dale said the taking of a life of someone should be more than a 5 minute conversation, not verbatim. Either way, Sophia was dead and gone, Dale was not bitten; there is some confusion there that I can understand. Overall, I think as a plot device, Rick not being able to kill Dale was a yin-yang understanding between them, that making a decision to kill someone is not a time related thing, its about what is humane. I think Rick is also having problems making all the hard decisions.

3. JDP

JDP Member

Good post.

4. Syphon

Syphon Member

Only one with a brain on these forums. ^^^

5. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Dale was going to die, and would have been infected anyway. In fact it was a much worse situation because he was torn open and alive to feel all of it. Sofia was mindless and senseless. Dale would have been a greater mercy killing, Sofia was already dead.

6. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

This may be a bit off topic. But there is really something about Rick's revolver. It's like the Mercy killer here. This is how many mercy killing he's done throughout the entire series.

*Leon Besset (Zombified, was a cop)
    * Bicycle Girl zombie
    * Zombie girl
    * Sophia (zombified)

Then there's the Dont-****-with-me kills
    *Dave
    *Tony
    *Randall almost got it

And of course numerous amounts of zombies with that thing. I hope he doesn't toss that revolver out. It's really special.

7. JDP

JDP Member

Sophia was a little girl that everyone hoped would be found alive and was focused on for weeks(?). They were shocked to find her zombified.

Dale was a tragedy but was still human.

8. JFB_JP

JFB_JP Member

As it's already been said, these are two entirely different situations...

Sofia was a zombie, already dead. She looked like a little girl, but they all knew she was gone. She was completely unaware and couldn't feel any pain, not to mention the fact that she still posed a threat to the group.

Dale was still alive and in excruciating pain (completely aware). His was a mercy killing to end his suffering. He was still human, and even though he was in too much pain to speak, they could see the agony and terror in his eyes. I think they wanted to believe there was hope for him... it wasn't until he was clearly beyond saving that Rick even stepped forward, but even then, he was still Dale.

#8 JFB_JP, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  9. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I did not see it as Rick being "unable" to kill him, but rather I saw him taking his time, he was hesitant and bothered by having to do this. Daryl took noticed and relieved him of it. I think if Daryl hadn't, he still would have shot him eventually.

10. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

I feel like Daryl took the gun and shot Dale, to say to Rick you don't have to make all the hard decisions. Shane, your supposed right hand man, isn't going to step up to shoot him so I will. It sent a message that no matter what Daryl says about being better off on his own (which he is right about) he cares about the people in the group.

11. Maggie

Maggie Member

I agree. Rick would have done it. But the fact that Darryl stepped up to support Rick and make the hard kill, maybe foreshadowing of Darryl as Luitennent? I didn't see Shane offering to out Dale out of his misery - quick to kill a stranger (Otis and Randall), but just like Sophia, couldn't put down someone he knew.

Absoluteky loved Darryl in this episode!!!

12. DAGATH

DAGATH New Member

Im just happy Dale is gone, he was getting on my nerves big time.

13. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

Shane isn't even that quick to kill Randall. he could have done it and hasn't.

I think Daryl and Rick will be working closer together next season. About time to give Daryl more time...I haven't been a fan of Shane (and I don't even think he is that great of an actor.) There, I said it.

14. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Shane probably wanted to make Dale suffer for spreading dirt about him with the group.

15. Maggie

Maggie Member

I dunno that's a bit harsh. I don't think any of them wanted Dale to go out the way he did.

16. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

He shot Otis in the leg - not the head - allowing him to be eaten alive. I could see Shane wanting Dale to die in agony as well. Otis didn't even do anything to Shane, while Dale was going behind his back with Rick, Andrea and Lori.

17. marsyao

marsyao Member

Why would Shane want to do that? Shane saw Dale as a nobody, not even woth even hating, "Dale has a big mouth, but he is harmless", that was what Shane told Andrea.

I am glad that Andrea was the only perosn sided with Dale, in the last season, Dale risked his life getting Andrea out of the CDC, it is only right that Andrea returned the favor and gave Dale a last comfort. And it is also interesting to see Shane's reaction whe he saw Andrea stood guard outside the barn, "You agree with me, but stand guard for Dale? That is cue, tell me if I decide to go in and finish the job, will you stop me?" Shane obviously undstood why Andrea did this and respected her decision. It is so bad that Shane will die soon, he and Andrea would make a great couple, will Andrea shed tears when she find out Shane's death?

18. marsyao

marsyao Member

And there is no need for Dale to bad mouth him, Rick and Daryl knew Shane's murder long time ago, as Daryl told Dale that Rick just pretended to not know that, because that is convenient that way.

19. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

I agree. Also Rick didn't shoot Sophia straight away he had to psych himself up first which I am sure would've been the case this time as well, IIRC on both occasions Shane turned/looked away. Daryl stepped in like he did with the autopsy - and I'm sure if he hadn't been holding onto Carol at the time he would've stepped in with Sophia if necessary.

20. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Exactly! It also shows him to be the one to count on as the right hand man, not Shane. You never saw Daryl running around trying to poison the well behind Rick's back, and try to screw his wife.