Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick/Daryl different sides on recruitment.

Discussion in 'Episode 606 - Always Accountable' started by Ionut, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

This episode wasn't that great - much like episode 5. It was not bad, but the first 3 episodes IMO were damn amazing and got me so hyped on this season and now the excitement has fizzled down. I hope these last two before the mid season finale are amazing.

The multi-story thing is awesome but they have drawn it out too far, lots of this could have been compressed, especially Morgan's little bottle episode explaining his return from violent insanity into pacifist insanity.

Oh well, I still love it unconditionally.

The best part of this episode was the introduction of what will be the next big conflict and one of the comics most iconic characters and Daryl making a critical error involving some useless liabilities while not knowing the whereabouts of his crew and needing to return to his own community.

What is everyone's thoughts on Rick's policy of not recruiting people and cutting liabilities and Daryl's policy?

I think Daryl just got a slap in the face and a big wake up call trying to help those clowns in the manner he did. I don't fault him for simply trying to help them and certainly don't fault him for letting them live, as I would have let them live - returning the stuff except for the gun and then taking off back to my people... but trying to bring them back to Alexandria and returning the gun to a security risk like that dumbass was very stupid.
    They were being pursued, they weren't clear headed, were semi-hostile -- can't be trusted to behave or be brought into the community.

This incident and more coming is going to pull Daryl more over to Rick's line of thinking. Showing that while Rick isn't right about everything - he's mostly right on how to deal with people and people we don't know yet.

Outsiders cannot be trusted even a little until they show merit worthy qualities.

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Daryl and Rick have different ideas on how Alexandria can survive.

Rick wants to train the Alexandrians (who have spent the Turn safely behind the walls), and lead the herd away from the community (a plan which cost several lives), Daryl wants to keep looking for potential recruits for Alexandria, as more numbers equal a stronger community. Both ideas take a great deal of time, which Alexandria doesn't have.

Daryl knew he was taking a risk inviting those survivors to follow him back to Alexandria, but from what he saw, they seemed like decent people. They betrayed Daryl at the last minute, and will likely suffer the consequences.

#2 Rapscallion, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  3. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Just seemed a bit whacky of a move for an experienced survivor like Daryl to have handed the gun back to an unknown security risk like those people.

Do numbers = a strong community? Quality vs. Quantity.

You need a certain amount of people for sure. But would you rather have 25 super strong people living in the ASZ and holding down the situation or 15 super strong people and 50 additional Alexandrian style liability mouths to feed?

Or even a kinder ratio of strong/weak? Would an additional 15 weak to the 25 alpha-men and women help at all to an isolated group like ours that is loyal to each other and not like the psycho exploiter types a la Governor and Negan?

I'm not sure if I'd like the greater quantity.

#3 Ionut, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Berry

Berry Member

Resources are scarce, every body really needs to pull its weight.

However, most potential recruits HAVE been out there for 2 years, so have the best chance of being able to do just that. These three/two people didn't do anything Rick and his group haven't done (except that last bit at the end). Rick tied up and knocked out Aaron, remember?

Daryl was charged with recruiting at the Prison too.. so this is typical behavior for him.

Bet those two are riding his bike right into the mega-herd that Daryl et. al. were leading. They'll find the bike... eventually.

5. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if he believes in getting new recruits , it was not the time. He knows part of the herd split off and doesn't know what's going on back towards ASZ. He wasnt able to communicate on walkie talkie which could possibly indicate troubles back there. His first priority should have been to find Sasha and Abe and get back to see if help needed. Just like Rick drove past backpack guy. The strangers could fend for themselves.

6. Kill Judith

Kill Judith Member

I agree that this was not the time or place to recruit. He was in survival mode. Just got shot at by who knows who. Got belted and tied up by three folks. His mates Sasha and Abe are out there somewhere. I can see giving back the insulin but besides that get the hell out of there.

7. Walker Caravan

They seemed cool enough.
    Didn't kill him right off when they could've. Of course they thought he was with the group they were running from and could maybe trade him. That shows Some civility I think. Not the Wolf way I'd imagine. Or the Terminite post Terminus way either.

Bit's of the conversation as he was going under and coming out made them seem like normal people.

They cared for someone who needed meds... I can see how he felt like he could take the risk with them. And listening to the guy, he sounded like he could've been a good asset. And was worried about being able to "come back" if he ever killed someone alive. Yeah, I don't fault Daryl too much for trying.

8. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

Would Aaron have tried to recruit them? They seemed like OK people, carrying the red shirt around with them. They answered the questions correctly. For the switch it was quite surprising.

9. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

My thoughts exactly.

10. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

What about for handing the weapon back? They were an unknown risk. There's trying, then there's putting yourself at extended risk.

11. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Daryl should have taken the bullets out of the gun before handing it back. Trust but verify.

12. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I agree. They seemed more experienced than the ASZ people in that they had actually killed walkers, but were still more naive than Rick's group, and didn't seem likely to try and take over the place. Seemed like decent enough people to take in at the time.

13. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

At the time they had a known enemy right next to them. Daryl can only shoot one weapon at a time, and two people shooting are better than one.

14. Hope the Savior

Daryl reads people and situations pretty well, so I don’t fault him for returning Dwight’s gun. At the moment an enemy force was cornering them, and even though the three amigos were their targets, they may have just as easily decided to capture Daryl as well or possibly kill him if he resisted. Dwight shot at Daryl when he stole their duffel bag, but he didn’t pursue him in order to reclaim their belongings, even though Daryl was obviously at a disadvantage (without his crossbow). Based on Dwight’s recent behavior and his, Sherry, and Tina’s obvious distrust of this enemy, arming Dwight against the current, common threat made sense.

I salute Daryl for trying to bring competent survivors into the fold, but he faltered after the threat passed and relaxed his guard a bit too much. Dwight, Sherry, and Tina were already terrified of this group, and that encounter in the woods further put them on edge. Daryl really should have considered their fear before divulging the size of his scouting party, his party’s unknown whereabouts, and the location of his bike. He basically gift wrapped a way for Dwight and Sherry to further arm and distance themselves from their foe, and that pretty, little “my friends aren’t here to help me stop you” bow on top just made it all the more enticing for them to accept that gift.

Last night’s episode was a harsh, yet friendly reminder to Daryl to never let your guard down and to always be prudent.

15. Hope the Savior

Oh, I neglected to address your question about Rick and Daryl’s recruitment policies. Rick’s decision to halt recruitment is smart in the short-term, but Daryl is also right to still recruit people as recruitment is necessary for long-term viability. You need numbers to not only sustain a place like Alexandria, but also to fight against the threats from the living and the dead. Them’s the cold hard facts. The ASZ’s numbers have decreased considerably, as of late, and its people are vulnerable. A larger population of capable survivors could have mitigated or nullified that vulnerability.

On the flipside recruitment could yield potential threats and liabilities, and Alexandria is currently at too tumultuous a point to efficiently tackle any new obstacles. Alexandria is not a united community, and a significant percentage of its population is (understandably) distrustful of Rick and his crew…some to the point of mutiny. The last thing our group needs is the distrustful Alexandrians bending the ears of a new group of equally or more competent and seasoned survivors, as it could lead to our group’s expulsion or worse.

Right now, all Alexandria is, is a seemingly safe haven where a bunch of families reside and have found shelter. Few are loyal to anyone outside of their defined families, and yes, that does include Rick et al (to an extent). They care about the ASZ because of the protection its walls provide, but if a perceivably insurmountable threat terminated that protection, many would either quit or abandon this place and search for alternate options. Alexandria would then simply fade into another deserted, burnt-out sanctuary like Terminus, the prison, Woodbury, etc.

Our group needs to train the Alexandrians and harden them. And just as equally, Rick and company need to foster meaningful relationships with them and vice versa. Because once those feelings of belonging, community, and hope begin to finally sprout, the ASZ will blossom into a united community of strong survivors who willingly risk life and limb for all of their fellow Alexandrians. Upon witnessing such camaraderie, welcomed recruits would be inspired to join, further bolstering Alexandria’s numbers against walkers and human enemies alike.

16. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Dwight/Sherry are not 'bad' people, in the TWD world. I mean, they are not fundamentally evil people. Even though they did take Daryl's bike and crossbow, they also left him with his knife.
    (BTW, Sherry threw 2 white packets to Daryl before they left. What were those?) They did not kill Daryl.

When they were at the greenhouse, they expressed that they knew the 2 dead people for a long time. So, Dwight and Daryl were not just digging one grave for Tina but also graves for the 2 dead person.

And, when Dwight was asked why he had not killed a person, he said if he did, he would not be able to go back to the days which were.

So, on the one hand, he is in sync with Morgan's 'all life is precious' and 'you don't like it when you kill' mentality.

But interestingly, on the other hand, he also identifies with Rick's ''take no chances with people'' because he and Sherry decide to reject Daryl's offer and took off on their own. I cannot blame them. They once trusted that group (presumably the Saviours) which turns out to be bad people. So, in a certain way, this parallels Rick's trusting the Terminus. Now, they did not want to take any chance with going with Daryl.

#16 Blueman, Nov 16, 2015
  17. plotholes

plotholes Member

^ I think the white packets are bandages, she said something along the line of "patch yourself up".

18. Hope the Savior

I believe Sherry threw Daryl some gauze, so he could bandage/tend to his wound. And the gentleman with Sherry was named Dwight. Wade was the leader of the group Dwight, Sherry, and Tina were evading.

19. mfinley

mfinley Member

Darryl just needs to use his words, open the mouth make words come out, speak in full sentences. Those three were saying all kinds of things that made no sense, obviously had him confused with the people who eventually showed up, instead of being led around with his hands tied he might of just spoken once or twice about "who the hell are you talking about? who do you think I'm with?" a short conversation would have helped.

20. Grizzzly540

Grizzzly540 Member

They said they would kill him if he speaks.