Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick is becoming Shane?

Discussion in 'Episode 513 - Forget' started by Aurora, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora

Aurora Member

It the episode at the end, we see Rick looking at Jesse and her husband and Rick puts his hand to his gun when looking at them. If you guys remember when Shane was in the woods with Rick and he points his gun at Rick, wanting to kill him. Shane wanted Rick dead because Shane wanted to be with Lori and Rick was in the way of them being together. And now, Rick looks like he wants to be with Jesse but she has a husband and when he went for that gun, it was such a Shane moment.

I kept thinking that if Shane never died he would be a viable member of the group, I think that Shane was never wrong. Everyone liked to be humane but now further down the seasons with all the people they've encountered you can see how Shane was right. Rick ended up becoming a psychopath and was relentless, and he would destroy any obstacle. Just how he dealt with the Termites, he just killed them all instead of being humane and saving them. So what do you think about Rick now, do you think Rick will end up doing what Shane did?

Also Shane made his transformation into bad Shane when he shaved his head, it was like a bad boy sort of thing. He gets out the shower and then shaves his head. Coincidence that Rick also got out the shower and then shaves his beard?
    [​IMG]

Edit: Source of where this topic came from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7OI3jyN3k I agree with it. Seems like most of you just saw the picture and immediately commented without reading what I'm actually talking about which is when Rick reached for his gun when looking at Pete & Jesse which reminded me of when Shane pointed his gun at Rick, when he wanted to be with Lori and was combatting his love for Lori and his friendship with Rick.

#1 Aurora, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

I'd have to say no.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Steppin' Razor

But I thought he was becoming the Governor?!

4. Aurora

Aurora Member

Okay, give me a good reason? They literally recreated two different scenes that Shane had, and Rick is a complete psychopath even worse than Shane ever was.

5. Steppin' Razor

Soo, he's not becoming Shane then. He's worse?

6. Aurora

Aurora Member

Shane is completely different from the Governor, and I don't know where you got that load of crap from. Shane had no morals, he wanted to survive. Anyone who got in the way, or slowed him down to get what he wants, would be gone in an instance. I feel like Rick is now showing these features in himself, I think the only thing that stopped Rick from shooting Pete was that it would cause problems. But it's quite obvious that AMC is showing us that Rick is showing features of Shane.

7. Something2Fear

Because Rick shaving his beard after entering ASZ is a pivotal part in the series whereas Shane shaving his head was something added in exclusively for the show because Shane is a lot more important in the show than in the comics. Basically what I'm saying is, Rick shaving his beard was gonna happen one way or another, so there's no reason to think its connected to the Shane scene.

#7 Something2Fear, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. Steppin' Razor

It was a joke.... because there was a thread like this the other day, except it was "IS RICK BECOMING THE GOVERNOR?".....

[​IMG]

And wait, the bolded part, the Governor wasn't like that too? Cuz it seemes to me like he was... either way though, that post was just a joke lol.

9. Aurora

Aurora Member

Please get off my thread, you're not aiding this discussing in anyway and you're just being annoying. Read the rules please.

10. Steppin' Razor

Oh suck it up man, stop being so sensitive.

11. TyberiusFox

Well for one, you can't call two men shaving years apart anything of a coincidence. Rick looked like a feral beast and he shaved upon entering something resembling a society. I don't see the shocker in this.

And I don't think Rick is anything sort of a psychopath. Very cautious, yes, but not a psychopath. And I'm not convinced that Rick reaching for his gun at the end had anything to do with malice. I think what Daryl said really struck home. How many times did we see Rick smile in this last episode vs countless episodes before? Did you see the way he looked at Carl having fun with people his age? No, there is an internal debate within Rick right now of wanting to believe in Alexandria and doing what he thinks is the best for protecting his people. It's called adjustment and that scene was meant to show it.

Rick like Shane? When was the last time we saw Rick off a friendly to save his own skin? Miles apart.

12. Aurora

Aurora Member

The reason why I'm saying it is connected was because of when Rick went for his gun when looking at Pete. It was exactly what Shane did to Rick, the fact that they put the Rick shaving his beard in the same episode further proves the point.

13. Aurora

Aurora Member

The beard shaving is not the important part of what I'm talking about. I was talking about how he reached for his gun the same way Shane aimed his gun at Rick. It seriously looks like you just looked at the picture of my post and that's all and began commenting.

14. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

Semantics, but the beard shaving was the episode before the gun reaching.

15. TyberiusFox

Did you happen to read my second paragraph that specifically touches upon what you just said?

16. Steppin' Razor

I think if Rick was gonna "become" Shane it would've happened already. And Rick aint no psychopath.

17. Negan Grimes

Negan Grimes Member

I thought he was becoming Negan

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as cut and dried as Rick = Shane, but I agree that the writers have provided enough evidence for the viewer to draw some parallels.

Definitely, I think Rick's putting his hand on his gun as he watched Jessie and Peter walk away was to show him coveting her, a nod to how Shane coveted Lori.

And yes, both bathroom scenes were significant. Shane shaved his head out of guilt. When he left Otis to die, he had gone past the point of no return and become a changed person. Rick, on the other hand, becomes almost transfixed looking at himself in the mirror, witnessing the changes to his face since he last saw it (probably at the prison?) and thinking about all the terrible things he felt he's had to do. Shaving the beard off symbolizes him attempting to reenter civilized society again.

I certainly don't agree that "Shane was never wrong," but I do think that many times Shane did the wrong things for the right reasons. He thought he was protecting the ones he cared about. Rick has also done some questionable things in the name of protecting his people, but at the moment we still consider him to be a good guy and a just leader. But I think these parallels you point out suggest that it's a slippery slope to going full Shane and Rick could be nearing the edge.

19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

20. Callysta

Callysta Active Member

Psychopath? Neither Shane nor Rick would qualify.

Rick is becoming more like Shane because Shane had the Survival mentality. Rick now has that mentality, as well. For example, in seasons 1-2 Rick had to consider actions required for survival were as Shane did them naturally. This is no longer the case. Rick acts in the moment with the full understanding that the time it takes to carefully consider each action needed for survival is not available. Could Rick have carefully discussed killing Gareth before he put the machete through his skull? No time. Each instance when Rick has killed someone, he had a good reason.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.