Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick says Shane did it to himself

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Better Angels' started by John2find, Mar 12, 2012.

1. John2find

John2find Member

After stabbing Shane, Rick told that its Shane who made himself killed and not Rick. He cried like a child after killing his friend.
    Any one disagrees with Ricks point that Shane killed himself.

2. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

nope, he had it coming

3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Rick's right.

Rick forgave Shane for screwing his wife (not that he wasn't angry) and gave Shane three chances (at least) to forget the past and move forward. Instead Shane still wanted Lori, and probably wanted to be the group's leader again.

Enough was enough. Shane had to die.

4. Pinkman87

Pinkman87 Member

I don't know about y'all, but if someone tried to kill me, and there is no court of law to take him to for a trial, you can bet he's a dead man.

5. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Well, considering that had Shane done none of what he did, or try to set the murder plot up, he'd still be alive, then it's definitely his fault. He destroyed his friendship and life all because he was obsessed with Lori.

6. marsyao

marsyao Member

It is nothing wrong that Shane wants to be the leader of the group, Rick is not the king, it is all about Lori and Carl, and that leads to the inevitable conclustion: one of them must die.

7. zombiemurphy

zombiemurphy Member

Rick - isn't he supposed to be the good guy - Doesn't it now seem that all the moral touch stones are gone, he had no choice - there's always a choice and a live person who can hold a gun - isn't that worth keeping around ? Has Rick let the rag tag remnants of a/the group down ?

8. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Shane was crazy and a threat to Rick's life. A live person that is a threat to some one's life that directly threatened them with a gun and sloppy planning who has gone crazy as a loon, is just as dangerous as a zombie. Had Shane taking his head out from underneath Lori's skirt a long time ago, and learned how to move on, it wouldn't have gotten to the point that it did. You don't get to threaten some one with a gun and plan, and then blame the person who defends themselves against you. He brought it all on himself. Good guy doesn't equal, being a dumbass that ignores direct threats to their life.

9. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

lmao!!!!!!!

10. zombiemurphy

zombiemurphy Member

interesting - jaysus though lads - i'd prefer a living breathing crack shot type person for when the inevitable herdy type horde approaches, (lots of cows in episode 11 and 12) then a infected (everyone is a carrier who comes into contact - hence the people in the cars were snuffed out an not moving cause they fled the city before they breathed the same air as a diseased mover an shaker lol)

(yeah I know I can't spell blame it on the irish secondary school system)

11. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

Shane was clearly losing his mind the last couple episodes. I think he was even exhibiting some walker behavior. My thought is this-maybe there was a possibility he was losing it and the virus was trying to take over his body??? Just a thought that makes sense considering his strange behavior.

I feel Rick was justified by doing what he had done. He was merely trying to protect what was his because it was pretty damn clear that Shane wanted it and was ready to do anything to get it.

#11 HockeyMomChris, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  12. Pinkman87

Pinkman87 Member

Rick has had to make some pretty tough calls. And that's why I love this show (really need to read the comics) It's so easy to judge a TV show and the way they're written, but anything like TWD, that raises moral questions, really makes you stop and think. Just like the whole Randall thing. Part of me wanted him dead. He was a threat, he knew where the farm was and admitted that his group had done some pretty horrible stuff. The risk outweighed any potential benefit from keeping him alive. On the other hand, the vast majority of the world is dead and shuffling around killing what few remain. Isn't there enough death and mayhem out there? Aren't they all just biding their time anyway, so why kill him? I like the initial plan. Drive him some miles out, give him some food, and a knife, and tell him "good luck." There's no shortage of cars out there and weapons (I'm sure a lot of the cars have guns- this is America, and a lot of folks are packin') So, he'd have as good a shot as any. Just like this whole Shane thing. He knows Shane, and he knows his buddy doesn't let things go. Shane clearly tried to kill him at that station, and Rick knows it. How many chances did Shane need to redeem himself, or just leave. Nope, he wasn't going anywhere, and he certainly wasn't going to stop trying to kill Rick.

13. DedHed082

DedHed082 Member

Yes Shane basically committed suicide. Even the people who liked Shane in this group- they had no idea what kind if person Shane had become, how his soul was just starting to ROT; apparently only Dale picked up on the stench.

Rick did what he did and HAD to do to survive. He was CONSUMED with griefafter he killed Shane. They were like brothers. And he was enraged that he was more or less forced to kill his friend. "You did this to us!!" Suuuuuuccchhh a good scene and perfect execution. Never been more impressed by the acting on TWD!

14. PandaPuffs

PandaPuffs Member

Yeah I think Shane was basically asking Rick to kill him, Rick didn't want to do it but he had to. And as much as I would like to put the blame off on Lori I can't even do that this time. :zombies_nosmile:

It's like Rick knew it was something wrong with Shane but I think he was somewhat in denial because he loved Shane like a brother, he was his brother actually.
    But everything about this episode was spectacular well acted and well written!

#14 PandaPuffs, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. Maria

Maria New Member

Some of Shane's emotions were understandable. He loved Rick and thought he was dead. He felt it was his responsibility to protect Laurie and Carl. He did a fine job at that and allowed himself to really love them. Then Rick suddenly comes back and Shane's not as excited to see him as he should be. I'm sure Shane initially felt guilty for letting Laurie come between his friendship but by then he wasn't the same guy anymore. I can see how that could happen. I can also see how someone can go crazy during an apocalyspe. I'm actually surprised that Shane was the only one going through this transformation.

However, Rick the was steadfast leader. He was compassionate, brave and generally smart. He wasn't bogged down by unreasonable emotions. His humanity wasn't rotting away like it was with Shane. Amazingly, the other group members were equally calm and cooperative. It made Shane stick out like a sore thumb. I might understand how Shane came to feel how he does but taking it out on Rick like that is pathetic. Rick is not the enemy. Rick might have been Shane's only real protector actually. Shane betrayed him when he threw that wrench at him. Yet Rick still saved Shane from the bus. Rick gave Shane so many opportunities to stabilize himself. Rick's compassion was lost on Shane. He pulls a gun on Rick and threatens to steal his family. All bets are off. Shane deserved to be killed.

Shane killed himself. Even if Shane had no plans to actually kill Rick, his threats sounded pretty real to me. He would have continued to cause problems for everyone. People were scared of him and nobody needs a ticking time bomb the group. Rick had no reason to believe that Shane wouldn't pull the trigger. They were in an empty field. Shane was more crazed than he had ever been. He was saying incredibly hateful things to Rick. He was just asking for it. I'm still quite convinced that Shane wanted to be killed by the end. He was losing his grip but I don't think he could have lived with killing Rick. Rick probably won't be able to easily live with killing Shane but it was necessary. Shane would have been miserable going forward anyway. Laurie was not interested in a relationship with him. Carl was not his actual son. This baby would be raised as Rick's. He would have been so unhappy. I think Shane was ready to go. I really do. We may never know for sure though.

Let's face it, they are all going to probably die. Shane died more humanely than the rest of these people will.

#15 Maria, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  16. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Rick had a choice? Is it really a choice to either defend yourself or let someone shoot you in the head? It's not immoral to defend yourself. Rick gave Shane multiple chances to come back. But Shane wanted Lori (god knows why) and he wanted Rick out of the way. Rick loses NO moral points for any of his actions.

And seriously? You count an unbalanced, homicidal sociopath with a gun as a good element to have in your group? Sorry. I'll pass. The group is better off.

17. Damrod

Damrod Member

Shane was just too far over the edge and wanted to be the one and only leader.

18. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

I still am on the side of "Rick needed to protect what was his and the greater good of the group as a whole" I personally was growing increasingly weary that Shane was going to do something bad and his actions the last episode were proving it all the more.

19. Horrorphile

Horrorphile New Member

Shane and Rick were best buddies back in the day, and I think Shane was so conflicted between his desire to have all that belonged to Rick and his genuine affection for him. I think the zombie virus was affecting him and his reptilian brain was taking over. Shane was becoming more and more aggressive, and was a danger to them all.

20. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

So Andrea ran with Shane for a while and she learned some survival skills too...she's no dummy and saw shane for what he is "a guy with good intentions (till episode 12), and has crappy presentation skills"

She is no D-bag and she holds her own as a woman. She started out not even knowing how to use the safety on a gun, give her some credit!