Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick's Talk with Shane

Discussion in 'Episode 210 - 18 Miles Out' started by yuuyake, Feb 27, 2012.

1. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

Yes and he also lied to Rick when Rick said "you think I can't protect them." Shane said "I never said that." But he did infact say exactly that to Lori on more than one occasion. I believe he has made a comment of that sort to Andrea also. I think Rick is too good of a man actually. I don't know many men who would be so diplomatic about their best friend and their wife together.

2. McNaMaradona13

McNaMaradona13 New Member

Little food for thought here. Besides the whole Lori baby drama, these are the two men in a power stuggle for control of the group. they have two very different veiws on how to handle situations and what to do with the group protection wise. That being said they are not the only ones who affect the power struggle. Lori is obviously backing Rick, we already saw her pulling a Lady MacBeth (props to Maggie for the reference, i actually said that to a friend after Triggerfinger, glad someone else saw it) at the end of Triggerfinger, but Lori isnt the only one posioning anothers ear. Andrea has done it not only to Shane regarding Rick and leadership but also to Sarah regarding living or killing herself!!! That being said, the clip for next episode i believe is taken why out of context. I feel that Shane is probably repeating back to Andrea what she is "expecting" of him. Plus, Rick just straight up, no questions asked and no way around it, saved Shane's ass. Even after his speech to Shane in the car about using the knives more to conserve bullets he comes back for Shane and fires half a clip into walkers. On top of that Rick talks to Shane about getting through the winter, things Shane hasnt thought of or even how to prepare for. Shane is realizing Rick is worthy of being the leader. I think the bigger issue at this point is Andrea and how long she has before the group wants her our (Maggie and Lori already hate her, Hershel will too when he finds out she encouraged Sarah to kill herself, Glen will side with Maggie and Rick will side with Lori. Thats half the group already. Plus Hershels people.) I think Andrea is in trouble for the near future until Dale gets Shane super pissed and Shane kills Dale. Then the real battle begins. Shane and Andrea versus Rick and Lori. Everyone will have to choose a side and who knows what will happen.

3. C-Tac

C-Tac Member

Shane didn't seem like he had to much to say. He really couldn't defend his actions other than a sad sob story about the end of the world. Rick has heard that story and respects what Shane did. Thanked him for it as well! But that's over now. Shane and Lori are over now. Shane needs to accept it. It needed to be said. There are no two ways about it.

4. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

Trust me I am not disagreeing that Rick has the right to set the ground rules. It is his family. And of course Shane should abide by them. But I am still arguing that Rick didn't handle this situation right. Instead of discussing it with Shane, he is laying down the law. There is two problems with this.

1) You can't set down rules without the other understanding why they are necessary. If this is not explained then the person has no incentive to listen or obey.
    2) Shane is having trouble with Rick being the leader. The fact that Rick AGAIN was pushing Shane to accept it his way is a huge problem.

Shane doesn't like how Rick does things. Rick needs to approach Shane as Rick the Friend, not Rick the Leader because that is exactly how he talked to Shane. My way or the bullet in your head. Not two guys trying to talk past their differences.

I also think that there is a power struggle going on between the two. I got the feeling when they were fighting that it was like two alpha males trying to be leader of the pack. No one gets killed, but one shows dominance over the other.

5. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

You seriously think it needs to be explained to Shane why he can't have Lori, Carl and the baby? Shane knows why he can't have them anymore, he just doesn't like it and isn't going to accept it. At this point I view Shane as lucky to have a friend like Rick willing to give him a second chance. I am pretty sure my husband would have knocked all Shane's teeth down his throat the minute he found out, like Rick said he wanted to do.

6. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

Maybe not explained but it seems that Shane needs to feel like he is being heard

7. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

You don't understand why Rick laid down the law with Shane. So to speak. Because Lori is Rick's wife and Carl is his son and the unborn baby is his not Shane's. Shane things he still has a claim to them, Never mind he slept with Rick's wife.Rick wanted to break his jaw but probably wanted to kill him. Rick told Shane he was dangerous to Lori. And told him" He wouldn't be dangerous to him anymore. He wanted him to know how he went about doing things - bullying and not thinking things through before acting were not going to happen anymore.He gave him an option either work with me or find yourself gone and go somewhere else.

8. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

I am sorry but the way Rick was talking to Shane. If someone told me how I felt I would be pissed. No one could say how I feel. Just like Rick cannot say how Shane feels. Shane DOES need to let go, but just saying "You don't love Lori" is something that would make any person get angry and fight about. That is why Shane feels like the outcast because no one is giving him the feeling like they are hearing him out or at least considering his feelings. Except they are just dismissing it like its nothing when to him its obviously not nothing.

9. Katr

Katr Member

Agreed. Especially since Lori has been shutting him down since the 3rd episode of the first season! Perhaps if she had handled things differently (and decently) this could have all been averted.

10. Greyone

Greyone Member

Youyake, your position makes sense. In the real world. The others make sense in the land of make believe- which is television.

Many seem to be agreeing with Rick because they already know how the story is supposed to go. So they are operating from a predetermined outcome objective. But, Rick and Shane aren't supposed to be aware of the fact they are following a story arc and so instead should be acting as though this is a genuine point of contention between two very old friends. But while both actors are superb, the direction and story was implausible in all but a television sense. Everything they do is for the audience to say "0ooohhh, Rick is so badass" or "Shane is so cool".

For one, Rick is talking in the manner of a superior to a subordinate while Shane is holding a gun. Hey Rick, since you really know what really happened to Otis shouldn't you maybe change your tone a little? Before Shane goes back and tells them you too didn't make it? Police officers never use that type of incendiary tone with armed suspects. Rick gives orders, he doesn't discuss. That he would live through that conversation with Shane is only likely in this type of televison show.

Also, Rick tries to assert his authority-directing to Shane that he must accept his leadership- and then commences with the stupidity which has led Shane to have no respect for him. "Hey, now we're going to stab these zombies through the skulls with our 4inch folding knives. See, all quiet like- your turn." "Hey, I just mentioned saving ammo but right now I'm not going to take the weapons and spares off these two walkers we just dropped. I'll leave them here until we might need them." "Hey, I just saved this boy, had his leg treated, fed and housed him for a week but I'm going to drop him off right here outside this building (which may or may not be crawling with zombies- I never checked) because I don't trust the mutherfucker." "Hey, I know I was in a coma (caused by my careless inattentiveness) and I missed the onset of this thing but I can take care of my family- by the way, I need another night to think on what to do with this guy".

It's not that Rick is a bad person- He is a very, very good person. But he hasn't been, heretofore on the television show been portrayed as smart, capable, or a man anyone should cede their life to.

11. Damrod

Damrod Member

Shane understands. He just doesnt agree. He wants what he cant have and in the world they are in, it will never happen.

12. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

I can stand by that argument but the point is how best to defuse the situation between them.

13. Greyone

Greyone Member

Damrod- exactly right. And when people are that way they kill people. Happens everyday. I would have been more...pleased is not the word...accepting, perhaps? if Rick had just killed Shane or at least accepted the opportunity to be rid of Shane that the zombies afforded him. That would have been much more plausible for one in the given situation.

Rick is declaring to Shane that he can protect his family but many are missing the irony in that he can't even protect them from Shane. The risk is too great- Shane has remained sullen and now combative- and still Rick must go back for him. So, this is the villian holding the gun on the hero while walking around and around in a circle telling him "why" he's going to die. The audience already knows the hero won't and so there is no suspense, no drama. The ending is preordained. It's only a matter of how the hero will escape the snare and how cool the method of offing the villian will be.

Rick, as the man he pretends to be; does he really believe their little heart-to-heart has fixed Shane? Shouldn't he instinctively realize the danger Shane presents? Apparently he does not and so Shane could have killed him, if only to prove to Lori that Rick couldn't save her.

14. marsyao

marsyao Member

I also have problem with the knife they used, first of all, I doubt they could use fold knife to piece human skull, and even they could, using the knife with such short blade would put their hands dangerously close to the mouth of the walker, they should use the ax and machete Carl found on the road

15. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

I liked the convo, except for the ultimatum about the baby. That seems unfair to me. It could very well be Shane's and not acknowledging it could be Shane's came off as really insensitive to me.

I also think instead of laying down ultimatums, Rick needed to talk to Shane. No one likes being told what to do Lori does enough of that. Now Rick is talking but not listening.

#35 Zombie Lover, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  16. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

The Ultimatum by Rick was the right call. Lori is Rick's wife and Carl is his son and the unborn baby?Right now is Rick's.Who's to say later. Is Rick really supposed to sit back and let Shane pursue his wife and have sex with her again. It was either telling Shane how things are or killing him.It is Rick who will protect his family not Shane. Let Shane play house with Andrea.So yeah. He would have broken his jaw earlier and Shane would have been spitting out teeth.And Rick let Shane know he is a force to be reckoned with.He isn't going to let him or anyone else take what is his -meaning his family.

17. McNaMaradona13

McNaMaradona13 New Member

Another little tidbid, Shane was winning that fight for the most part, but he failed to keep his focus and was too obsessed with killing Randal. These two laspe of focus is what allow rick to get on top of shane in the end and get multiple clean shots off on his face basically ending it with rick winning. is shanes lack of focus on the goal and obsessive nature good for the group. NOT AT ALL. plus rick is thinking long term, talking about getting through winter, shane is always here and now, what to do this second and its usually emotional and implusive. Rick thinks things through, and more time then not its works out for the better

18. boutte

boutte Active Member

Rick did discuss the situation with him previously and didn't do any good. At this point there is no reason for discussion, Rick is telling this is how it's going to be, there's no compromising here. It had nothing to do with leadership or plans for the future or anything other than back the **** off. It's my family and I'll kill you or anybody else who's a threat.
    The only person Shane has expressed his feelings to regarding Lori is Lori when nobody else is around. Why is that? Why does he have to ask everyone else to leave the room when he had the conversation that convinced her that she had to go to Rick about it? Because he's wrong and even he knows that.

The only thing Rick did wrong was not killing him or leaving him to the zombies. He's more of a threat than some punk kid with a hole in his leg.

19. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

First I would like to say that people are focusing too much on the content of the talk. It was justified and necessary. I am not at all saying Rick should let him sleep with his wife. I am saying that the way he went about it is not encouraging. It does not defuse the situation they are in because the approach he decided to do with Shane is exactly what Lori has been doing to Shane. Deny his feelings, tell him what to do, and not ask him to express his feelings.

Everyone, SHANE IS GOING CRAZY. AN ULTIMATUM WONT WORK. It will just piss him off more. Instead Rick could have talked to him giving the impression that he wanted to hear how his friend is doing in this crazy world they are living in, because it is worrisome to him and everyone in the group. Yes he needs to set the ground rules on Lori but he also doesn't need to be confrontational in his speech.

But I also believe the whole baby thing is a bit unfair on the part of Rick. Yes Rick and Lori are together now, but that baby can very well be Shane's. Its not very fair to cut him out of it.

Lastly, I think you are thinking too much about the conversation he had with Lori. I do not think he thought it was a bad conversation. I think he just wanted privacy to talk about their relationship because its not everyone's business (at least not yet. Its when it becomes a problem that it is the group's business)

20. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Obviously Shane shouldn't sleep with Lori. But I disagree about the baby. While Carl and Lori are definitelly his, not acknowledging Shane might be the father of Lori's baby is not Rick's call and still strikes me as cruel. Both he and Lori have said over and over the baby is theirs... But... WOW. Pretty heartless. And Shane has been a good surrogate dad to Carl. Part of dealing with the mistakes of the past is not ignoring them, and pretending they don't exist. Both Rick and Lori need to acknowledge that they have a potentially blended family now.

I know I would feel very irked to be told MY baby and my child was another man's. While it may indeed be true, there is no way to know for certain.