Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rip Currents??Shmipp Currents!

Discussion in 'Episode 211 - Pablo & Jessica' started by EZD, Sep 12, 2016.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

OH! I thought you were talking about doing a few lemming cliff dives. lol

2. Poppy

Poppy Member

LOL.. it is funny how they follow the leader :)

3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

It really is. Which is one of the reasons I love that scene so much. Almost as good as the falling balcony infected. lol

I see the flaws in both of y'all's arguments, but I see the benefits too.....and in my opinion, even though I still don't like leaving where these infected wash back to shore up to such massive chance like it does......I still think it's more efficient to do what they did.

Gets em all in one swoop. You don't have to deal with what I would assume would be some REALLY messy drops the further up in floors you are dropping them. They would STILL have to drag them all to one big pile to burn them. AND...we wouldnt get the great TV of the suicide fall off the pier otherwise. :p

4. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I thought they might be planning a big BBQ for a minute there,herd them to the pier and light them up!

5. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

smh I just want to see sharks feasting on walkers plz.

6. Poppy

Poppy Member

PepperAnn,
    If you follow my plan, of marching them in manageable size groups to the pier, then funnel them down to single file, you can kill them and push them into the ocean. No messy drops, no dragging them anywhere... they walk into your knife, and you push them over the side. The rip tide takes them away. If they wash up on shore... they are no threat, because they are brain dead. Dead.

7. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I think it was a solid plan. The currents would wash a lot of them farther down the beach and at least disperse them. It would get them out of the direct area. It's not like they're just going to wash right back up on shore in front of the hotel.

8. Poppy

Poppy Member

That's a reasonable assumption. Of course they wouldn't know because they didn't test it.

Also, according to [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
    Government Agency
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is an American scientific agency within the United States Department of Commerce focused on the conditions of the oceans and the atmosphere. Wikipedia

Rip currents may be 10-20 feet wide or up to 200 feet wide. They get weaker past the surf, and SOMETIMES (but not necessarily) can extend hundreds of feet beyond the surf.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where our jumpers jumped, they may already have been out beyond the rip current.
    And while it is unlikely that they would wash up directly in front of the hotel, they may only travel a few hundred feet away, and essentially still be on hotel property.
    LOL... not that it matters who owns the land, the point is, they may not travel all that far away.

9. BlackLightning

By which time, they should have already fortified the hotel.

Emphasis on should.

Lol

Neither of those plans worked. Remember?

10. Poppy

Poppy Member

:zombies_lol:
    I'm smiling... but yeah, at least they had a plan!

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Much increased chance of a bite. Remember, safer is better.

A plan that is better than both their plan and your plan would have been to lead them a few miles away from the hotel, Quarry Walker style, and then just loop back around home.

12. Poppy

Poppy Member

When they were brand new at this, the group of them took out a random mob of church goers despite the fact that the mob could swarm around them. Now it seems that Alycia can take out the dead with aplomb. Maddie and Strand also know what they are doing, even staggering drunk on tequila they took out a bunch of them. The other group has been roaming the halls for a week or so, so I would venture to say that in a controlled environment (like the walkers walking through a trough, like cattle being led to slaughter) that there would be little chance of being bit.

Quarry walker style didn't work out too well for them either.

13. Neuropyramidal

Quarry walker style didn't work because of a totally random, rare, and unexpected wrench: the wolves. A wild card like that can foil any plan, no matter how good the plan. If not for them, it would have worked perfectly.

The idea of killing them all, one by one, in close combat, greatly increases the likelihood of a bite.

14. Poppy

Poppy Member

Killing biters as they are marched through a trough, like cattle led to slaughter, in a controlled environment, will mean that there are ? 300 ? fewer biters out there looking to take a bite out of you when you have to leave the hotel to scavenge for food.

Rick and all, took weeks? to park cars head to tail on both sides of the streets, and built a wall to direct them where they wanted them to go. A couple of miles wasn't enough. IIRC, they wanted at least 20 miles. Maybe it was forty.

Overall, I thought that it was clever of Alycia, and there was good entertainment value to herding them off of the pier.

15. Neuropyramidal

They are in Rosarito, and just a few miles south of Tijuana, so there are likely hundreds of thousands to millions of walkers in the greater area. Adding 300 would be an acceptable risk compared to the risk of close combat with all 300 of them. Even if they had the environment as controlled as possible in that situation, that's still 300 chances for just one mistake to lead to a bite. Every single swing to the skull is a chance for a misdirected blow and a quick chomp. And if other walkers joined the herd as it walked north or south, it could even help collect some of the random walkers in the area and take them away.

They lined cars up in a some areas in TWD, but it was mostly because they were unlucky enough to have a steep hill that would have lead the walkers back to the safe zone if they didn't direct them just right near the beginning. The vast majority of the trip had no cars. And that was thousands of walkers, not a couple hundred or so. If they just led them down the road, 2 or 3 miles from the hotel, and then zipped away quickly, they'd be gone.

But yes, for sure the entertainment value was better with the pier idea, plus the showrunner i'm sure didn't want to copy the TWD plan too closely. But of the three plans we've discussed so far, I think its the best. No plan is without risk in that world, for that sort of thing. But its the best of the three.

#55 Neuropyramidal, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  16. Al Davis is back

I thought the plan was going to be to take out a section of the floor boards near the end of the pier and have Madison run across a few makeshift wood planks that could be easily pushed into the water once across. The mobs momentum at the back of the line keeps pushing the walkers closest to Madison off the pier (where the sections were removed). There would be a few left over at the end of the line who may not walk the plank but they could be easily disposed of by the remaining hotel survivors.

I'm not advocating the plan. Just what I thought they were going to do.

17. Neuropyramidal

Yes, i pictured the same thing. It would have avoided the need for Madison to take the jump. But of course, it would have been less dramatic. ;)

18. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

And when they were shown gathering thatch for a fire I thought they would light the pier to roast them instead of herding them off.
    I still don't recall ever seeing fire lit at all?

19. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

I like that. Would've been cool. But you ever see what the planks on a big pier like that are secured with ? Huge spikes ... and the planks are 4-6" thick at minimum .
    I did wonder why Team Maddie did not remove the flimsy barrier fence and drag the herd further down the pier. Probably filming and safety concerns, but it worked good 'nuff for me .

20. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Salt water will wear those already rotten bodies down over time. I imagine a walker body would rot in salt water past the point of being able to walk after a few weeks.