Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

S10 FIRST HALF - LOOKING BACK

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Season 10' started by BlackBird, Nov 26, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

No kidding. I’m going to do it with my choir!

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Oh that's awesome!!!! You have to get a video of that!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. BlackBird

It’s really quite hard to choose! And that in itself makes me really happy about the season so far.

1. Ep4 Silence the Whisperers
    2. Ep5 What It Always Is
    3. Ep1 Lines We Cross

4. BlackBird

This is easy.

Ep 2 We Are The End Of The World

I liked the present day parts of the episode, but found the flashbacks dragging and not very informative. My main curiosity was how on earth Alpha and Beta gained followers, and we never got an answer to that. Without that, I don’t think we needed a bottle episode for the whisperers.

5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

well f*ck. I was enjoying my descent down The Cure rabbit hole and now I have to queue this song.....after I listen to Just Like Heaven. Ahh well at least it will be a running theme LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I will play!!!

But some of these may require more time than others

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I went back to each episodes ratings thread and my individual episode ratings average out to an 8.875 for all of season 10.

In retrospect some of my ratings for episodes have changed over the course of this 1/2 season.

1001 - originally I rated it @ 8
    1001 - now I would rate it @ 7. It is the episode that I am least likely to watch again
    1002 - originally I rated it @ 8 and it stands. Not a popular opinion but I love Alpha so :p
    1003 - originally I rated it @ 9 and it stands.
    1004 - originally I rated it @ 9
    1004 - now I would rate it @ 8. It loses a point for the tree. Someone should have heard the commotion involved in cutting down a tree
    1005 - originally I rated it @ 10
    1005 - now I would rate it @9. Loses a point due to the Magna angst and cardboard acting
    1006 - originally I rated it @ 9.
    1006 - Now I would rate it @ 8. Not a fan of 10A Carol. Thought the radio bit with Eugene could have been condensed somewhat
    1007 - originally I rated it @ 10
    1007 - now I would rate it @ 9. Why? Carol being selfish that's why
    1008 - originally I rated it @8 and it stands

After my adjustments my rating average for season 10A now stands @ 8.250

I was concerned that Angela Kang would suffer from the proverbial sophomore slump so I think that my expectations of the season were a bit guarded. The season (thus far) was at a slower tic than season 9 but I understand why the pacing was different. In 9 we had the big reveal of whisperers, the initial frantic fear that comes from a new threat or unknown situation. The emotions are high.

In 10 the pace is slowed a bit because the initial shock is over and now they are left to try and live within the parameters set by Alpha while still trying to formulate a means to be rid of her. Alpha is not all puffy chest, ridiculous words and testosterone bravado like Negan. Alpha is calculating, a strategist and oh so patient. She has no issue with playing the long game and she has proven to be damn good at the game.
    As with any season some episodes are more watchable than others. I will no doubt watch all 8 episodes again at some point, but there are episodes that I will watch more than others.

Episodes that I will more than likely watch multiple times:
    1002; 1003; 1005; 1007; 1008

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

#1 - Open Your Eyes (1007). I loved this episode. Even with my growing dislike for Carol I still found reason to love this one. My only regret is that the death of Siddiq and the reveal of Dante' was spoiled for me. I wish that I could have experienced those events without knowing before hand

#2 - What It Always Is (1005) - Very good episode. JDM finally had an episode to shine. It had been a minute since we had the pleasure

#3 - The World Before (1008) - I may be in the minority but I thought this was a solid episode even with some missteps. The reveal of Dante's story. Rosita and Gabriel both getting scenes to shine. And those scenes were both so unexpected and bad ass!!! Judith being a little badass. Daryl again with some dialogue that actually had substance (even though I still wish we had been given a scene with him expressing some level of anger and disappointment to Carol in regard to her actions). I have complete faith that Angela is going to make good on the cave predicament we find our survivors in

Honorable Mention: Silence the Whispers (1004) if for no other reason than how amazing the performance by Cassady/Lydia was in this episode. I SO hope we see more of her in 10B

#28 Dnae, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Carol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Gabriel killing Dante'

I was gobsmacked. I did not see that coming. Not from a Russian satellite away!

#30 Dnae, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

The scene with Lydia clutching on to Negan's ankle after she is attacked

Same episode - Lydia curling into herself while she is talking to Daryl in the infirmary after being attacked

Rosita and Siddiq sitting by the water as he finally tells someone about what he was made to watch

Rosita being the one that had to put down walker Siddiq

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Kelly - greatest chance

Gabe - good chance

Possibly Connie but only because of her ties to Marvel now

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

"don't worry Michonne. We have Judith to protect us" - Luke episode 1008

"I didn't mean to offend you. I mean, hell, you keep things professional. I respect that. I think I was just thrown off by the whole kneeling thing. Not that there's anything wrong with the whole kneeling thing. I mean, that has tickled the dicks of many a fine man over the years. Me, myself, I used to have people kneeling for me all the livelong day, so I understand the benefits that sort of shit provides. I just never actually done the deed myself. And I admire your self-restraint and I'm saying this totally respectfully, but there is something about that whole bald head thing that just tightens my britches." - Negan episode 1006

"We don't mean harm. Can you talk? Go on, and try to kill us, but know two things: One, I do not die easily. Two, you must also kill my daughter because I will not leave this earth without her." - Alpha to Beta episode 1002

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Did you just trip me? What are you, 12? - Negan to Aaron

"I didn't mean to offend you. I mean, hell, you keep things professional. I respect that. I think I was just thrown off by the whole kneeling thing. Not that there's anything wrong with the whole kneeling thing. I mean, that has tickled the dicks of many a fine man over the years. Me, myself, I used to have people kneeling for me all the livelong day, so I understand the benefits that sort of shit provides. I just never actually done the deed myself. And I admire your self-restraint and I'm saying this totally respectfully, but there is something about that whole bald head thing that just tightens my britches." - Negan to Beta episode 1006

15. BlackBird

All of the above, for most heartbreaking moments.

And when Rosita held CoCo in the aftermath of all that happened.

Zeke telling Michonne "I don't even know how to talk to her [Carol] any more."
    And when he couldn't bring himself to tell Carol about the cancer.

Michonne talking to Zeke about missing Rick. When she said "that walk", I think my heart skipped a beat.

Kelly telling Connie about her fears of losing her hearing, main problem with it that she won't be able to protect Connie any more... the selflessness of it nearly killed me.

#35 BlackBird, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BlackBird

We have been so spoilt with excellent charcater arcs this first half of the season.
    My favourites in random order:

Carol

I might be in a minority but I'm finding Carol's arc fascinating. She's been kind of annoying, true, but I like how she's not perfect, and there's a dark, selfish side to her, a demon she constantly needs to fight. Right now she is giving into the demon, but I think she will come through this in flying colours, like she always has in the past. And she's not completely in the wrong here. There's been an infuriating delay of action from the communities in dealing with the enemy. I kind of understand why she went rogue. Of course she made some stupid mistakes and there will be a hell of a price to pay for it, but she was also a catalyst to get the Alexandrians' ass in gear.

Alpha

Absolutely riveting arc. The beginning of her downfall. Overconfidence. Suppressed motherly bond. Hypocrisy. And then an unexpected crush. Hell yeah. Pure awesome writing and delivered brilliantly by Samantha Morton.

Gamma

From full on devotion to the crushing of her world. Fabulous arc.

Negan

Just exhilarating to watch this guy. His redemption arc is speckled with delicious question marks and eyebrow raising moments, but on the whole, I believe he's pressing on with trying to do right by the Alexandrians, and he is seeking final acceptance from them, because he has clearly developed respect for a fair few of them. I'm loving his arc and the personal challenges this means to me, because I'm not forgetting for a moment what this man has done and what he was once capable of.

Daryl

A gentle, slowly building arc that started last season, giving Daryl his spark back. He speaks, he makes jokes, he smiles, he connects to people, he's taking on leadership roles. All very organic and a replay of the prison era, but in a more mature, wiser way, it's just wonderful to see. Add to this the sweetly awkward beginnings of Daryl falling for Connie. A fantastic arc for Daryl.

Gabe

Just when I thought this character has past his sell-by date, and there's nothing new left for us to explore about him.... whoah!!! In the second half of 10A he has suddenly started stealing scenes and then the way he dealt with Dante... controversial yet fascinating turn that will bring its own consequences, no doubt.
    Now I definitely want this charcater to stay and see more of him.

#36 BlackBird, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  17. BlackBird

"I'm a joiner!"

"Constant. Noise."

Blind fold readjusted to gag Negan. Best moment from Beta.
    And Negan's face...

Pure comedy.

Not to mention the pissing contest that followed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. BlackBird

Runners-up:

All scenes with Rosita with Siddiq. How he looked out for her, how there was still a spark between them.

Michonne remembering Rick's walk. That whole little monologue to Zeke, about how she misses Rick.

Winner:

All scenes between Daryl and Connie.
    Everything written and played to perfection.

Such a fresh, original and heartwarming budding little romance. I hope it will be allowed to grow.

19. BlackBird

I guess this thread is a pretty good place to put this video about the making of the first half:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

If you pause the video, you can see many interesting behind the scene details.
    The scenes showing the inside of the mining cave is good as they are much brighter than that shown in the TV, so you can see roughly how the cave is laid out.