Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Season 6 Final Episode

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by HonestAbe, Feb 24, 2019.

1. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

I know it’s old news but I rewatched it and I still love this episode. I love the cat-and-mouse style chase, the pent of suspense and I still love the lineup and Negan’s introduction.. as much as it sucks that it ended up being my man Abraham was on the other end of Lucille (and Glenn of course).. I really thought this episode was great and the suspense/build up was fun to watch..

I had a party at my house for Season 7, episode 1 that year.. we were so into TWD (not that I’m not now - we’re riding it out until the end) but I just wanted to show that episode and time frame some love.. might be unpopular opinion but I loved it.. and re-fell in love with it recently.. that is all lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

It certainly was exciting, but looking back, I think it’s also when the Walking Dead jumped the shark so to speak. My wife and daughters stopped watching after Season 7 Episode 1. It was like there was TOO much buildup for that episode, and how are you supposed to top that level of intensity? Fact is they didn’t, and Negan’s emergence just happened to coincide with the beginning of the downfall of TWD. In my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

A few of the things I liked about the season 6 finale was Rick's growing sense of guilt and desperation: Rick arrogantly brought the war on the group and Alexandria; now he's trying desperately to get an ill Maggie to the Hilltop's doctor, but the Saviors have blocked all the roads and his options are dwindling. At one point Maggie weakly tells Rick she believes in him, and he almost breaks down in tears.

I didn't care much for Abraham, but he won my respect when he silently offered to "pay the bill" for the group.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan made a great debut as Negan, but l think his introduction was over the top (AMC had been promoting Negan for months). I remember fans complaining that Negan's speech (which is a near copy of the comic) didn't contain any F-bombs, but I think most of Negan's dialogue sounds ridiculous when read aloud; Jeffrey was intimidating without the cursing.

The Lucille lineup itself is in my top 5 moments TWD had me terrified. And to watch Rick absolutely broken! Great acting by Andy Lincoln.

That said, I hated that Daryl was in the Lucille lineup. I think Gimple wanted Daryl to be Lucille's victim, but AMC wouldn't allow it.

Then, of course, there's the infamous Lucille cliffhanger. TWD has never recovered from that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

I thought Negan’s entrance with all the Saviors there was great, and like you said JDM had a great intimidating factor about him.. I thought the first big speech was good even without the cursing.. and Andrew Lincoln was heartbreakingly phenomenal..

It was a hard moment to live up to and all of the fan favorites were there (except Carol, who was and always will be one of my fav characters).. I wish more people were Lucilled though following that episode

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rapscallion

I wish Daryl went after—and rescued—Carol. That would've balanced out the Lucille cliffhanger (fans still would've been pissed, and rightfully so).

Bad as Negan is, he showed remarkable restraint towards Rick and the group. Rosita should've been Lucilled for putting that bullet in her in the S7 episode "Hearts Still Beating".

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Active Member

I never thought of the Daryl chasing Carol scenario but I agree with that as well as everything else in the post.. I think Daryl would’ve been the only person Carol would soften up for and listen to (at that time)..

And I 100% thought Rosita was a goner for the bullet.. And firing it at Negan no less.. I was just thinking we’d see more of Lucille in her glory sparingly through Season 7.. after Glenn had seen all those pictures on the wall in the Satellite building it seemed obvious that Negan wasn’t shy about swinging her to get his message across.. and at that time I know Rick was on board with obeying to preserve his people but not all of his people were falling in line.. great time for Lucille to step in (again)

7. Rapscallion

Another thing about the season 6 finale: Maggie should've had a miscarriage.

Negan Lucille's Glenn, causing an already weakened Maggie to suffer a miscarriage. Maggie recovers, and becomes obsessed with revenge.

This scenario also would've doubled Maggie's tension with Rick, who was himself obsessed with seeing Carl's dream of peace between the Alliance and the Saviors become a reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Had the episode ended with Abe getting the hit, it would have been the best episode of the series. The episode itself is amazing, easily the most intense episode of the series. The stakes being raised every moment. It was the "F-you" cliffhanger that left everybody with a bad taste in their mouths.

End it with Negan taking his first whack at Abe and cut to black the instant he first hits the ground. Start 701 off the same way it did, with Negan taunting then taking Rick on the RV ride. Only change would be when Rick starts to have his flashback, show the entire thing. Don't cut back and forth from the night before and Rick on the RV. Just have Rick looking up at the sky and go back to that initial hit and show the entire rest of that scene uncut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

The cat and mouse thing was a nice touch. It was a pretty good episode overall, but I still think the cliffhanger ending sucked all of the tension out of it, sadly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It is one of my favorite episodes!

• Like Like x 1