Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Sexual Predators

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Lindigo, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

This is going to be a permanent thing in the news, so we might as well have a separate thread for it.

Kevin Spacey. He attempted to rape or molest a boy in 1986 but didn't succeed. He claims he was drunk and has no memory of the assault. Commentators say it was legally carefully crafted to keep him from being sued.

If that was his only attempt in 30 years, has he rehabilitated himself? Is there more that Hollywood knows and we don't? If that was it, I don't see why he is being shunned, cut off from future work, having his Oscar win cancelled, etc., after three decades.

Why is he getting this treatment and Woody Allen is still working, for example? When he was separating or divorcing from Mia Farrow, the court determined he had molested his son and gave Mia full custody while berating her for not protecting her son. I quit going to his movies, but Hollywood doesn't seem to give a damn.

I don't understand the discrepancies in responses to Spacey and others who, IMO, are far worse by being serial predators.

Yes, I know he is getting a lot of flak for coming out in his statement, but that didn't seem weird to me, either. The context was useful to me, and I don't see how it slighted the boy or diminished Spacey's sort-of-acknowledgement of abuse. "I don't remember," is what diminishes it.

Thoughts?

2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I honestly think things might actually change. That Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, etc. might just not get a free pass anymore. Kevin Spacey's show has already been cancelled (they're running the last season, then that's it). Andy Dick just got fired from a movie. People are sick of it.

And part of the reason there is so much backlash against Spacey is that he tried to use his coming out as a reason for doing what he did.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

This clip is from ~10 years ago, so there may be more to Spacey's behavior that us outsiders know about, but the Hollywood people DO know about:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Morgotha

After hearing a bit about Dick's general behavior, he should probably have been fired on general principles.

5. Lindigo

Thanks, that helps. I didn't take it that he was using being gay as a defense. I thought he was blaming being drunk. Maybe I didn't see a gay defense because I already discount the stereotype of gays being pedophiles. But I see the point of this article that his statement could put energy into that stereotype by discussing both at once.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/10/31/16570846/spaceys-coming-out-sex-assault-pedophilia

6. Lindigo

Andy Dick. What a jerk. I softened up my dislike of him when he was on Celebrity Rehab, because he was sober then and not a jerk. Too bad it didn't take.

I believe him that he doesn't even know what behavior is appropriate to indicate interest. It seems a lot of guys genuinely don't know.

7. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Spacey coming out wasn't meant to defend or justify what he did, it was meant to distract people from what he did. He was trying to change the narrative from "Kevin Spacey is a child predator" to "wow Kevin Spacey finally came out as gay!"

Fortunately, that slimy move backfired big time and only made things worse for him. **** Kevin Spacey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

My skin crawls at the mention of Andy Dick. He single handedly turned me off to Andy's Candies, and also might be part of why I'm not partial to dick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Morgotha

I agree. And if the show was intended to continue, they could always have Spacey die in a plane crash or a terrorist attack or something and continue on without him.

10. tink

tink Well-Known Member

It looks like production has been put on hold indefinitely for the series, so there might not even be a season 6.

11. Lindigo

Oh, no. Now that I have Googled Andy's Candies, I am doomed. It's far enough away in Sacramento, but they have an outpost in Tracy, 30 miles away, where there is also a Texas Roadhouse. I feel a field trip coming on....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

It's disappointing to hear that so many familiar names & faces are turning out to be creeps. People like Kevin Spacey who you almost feel like you know because he's been around so long, and he's been in so many films. I'm happy people are feeling brave enough to come out with the information though - i hope this means times are changing.

I've been fortunate in that i've never been a victim of sexual assault, rape, etc. but there have been many instances in which people have crossed the line with comments or being too handsy. It really is something you feel like you're supposed to be cool with, at risk of seeming uptight or prude. So i 100% understand why victims would keep the information secret, especially when it comes to big names.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Just set your computer so that every time you pull up the Andy's Candies website, its accompanied by a sound bite of Andy Dick sexually harassing a teen. Its amazing what it does for your willpower :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Lindigo

15. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if they were re-writing the season to write him out and continue shooting without him.
    I've heard that it was due to end with the upcoming season anyway (which wouldn't really be a surprise, the series has been struggling with critics for several seasons), but the accusations against Spacey encouraged Netflix to announce it ahead of time to distance themselves from him.

I don't like that people would lose their jobs either, but I mean, that's the unfortunate reality of television shows. If something happens to their star - death, criminal conviction, major scandal, they can't always continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the show whether they can work around losing one of the cast. Like that show Bill Paxton was on when he died, he was too central to the show, and likely most of the people watching were there because of him.

I think Spacey is nearly the same here, could Robin Wright bring in the same size audience? I'm not sure.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

The quality of House of Cards has plummeted too. It's tough for a show to move on after something this huge happens with one of their two lead actors. They could continue on with Robin Wright but it's hard to promote the show after this. Everyone involved will be continually asked about Spacey. Maybe if this had happened a few years ago they would have tried to save it, but it's too late in its run.

18. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Why did Andy Dick get fired?

19. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Nevermind I just googled it. *shudder*

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Morgotha

Kevin Spacey's brother talks about Kevin and their "father". One more evil man spreading pain to another generation:

"
    Randy Fowler, Kevin's older brother, said the Oscar-winning actor's childhood was plagued with abuse, but he still calls Kevin a "monster."

"Kevin turned to acting as a little kid. He ditched the name Fowler and created the character of Kevin Spacey to mask a monster. It helped him hide from his demons," Randy told The Sun. "He struggled with his sexuality, always denying he was gay. On stage he pretended to be somebody else. It gave him power, transformed him."
    Abuse, Randy says, was all too common in their home.

"We grew up with abuse and neglect in a house of horrors. Our violent dad whipped me with a riding crop... I've never had children in case that evil personality could be passed on," he said. "Now it sadly seems one of us may carry those twisted genes and that person might be Kevin. His fans love the sinister characters he plays, but he's not acting, that's really him. He hid behind his acting career to maintain a secret sordid life and in reality he was a monster.

"Our father was a Nazi-loving monster who raped and beat me from the age of 14. Back then I tried to hide what was happening to me from Kevin," Randy said. "I prayed that if I let The Creature hurt me, he'd stay away from Kevin. Now I think I was naive. I once tried to talk to Kevin about it. He said he had no idea dad was like that and wouldn't discuss it. When I heard about these allegations, I prayed history wasn't repeating itself."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...-was-a-dark-side-to-him/ar-AAutHZ8?li=BBnb7Kz

• Informative Informative x 1