Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Shane cutting his hand...

Discussion in 'Episode 210 - 18 Miles Out' started by Jakobi, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Just watching Talking Dead and they made a point about the episode. Shane while on the bus cuts his hand and stabs the first lady in the head. He used the same knife that he used to stab a few walkers in the head. They made a point about the guards not being bitten, but rather scratched.

Hmmm...I wonder if Shane got infected.

2. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

hah...I just pondered this in the is Shane infected post. It was one of those things I thought about while watching but then discounted because sometimes I will see something in the series that seems like its going to be important, but then its not. It just seems like they are really taking it there. And then they brought it up on talking dead. It seems to me it could be possible.

3. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

Daryl used the same bolt to kill walkers that was in his side as far as we know. He didn't get infected. But it is a nice thought. lol

4. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Hum...everyone is infected?

5. Fresh Meat

Fresh Meat New Member

This brings me back to what Jenner told Rick before he got vaporized.. He had to have told him of a lead he may have found through all the testing he did. My theory is that he tells Rick that everyone is exposed to the cause of this apocalypse, but those people who are still living have some sort of minor immunity in their blood to fight off the initial spread, but not enough to fend off a bite.. and this is why he actually took blood samples of the group when they walked in (to confirm his theory). I don't think Shane was infected.. you'd have to assume that after all the bled shed that has gone on with walkers, someone had to have gotten a bit of blood on them, eventually wiping their face or getting some on an open wound, and so far, no one has been turned without a bite. Just my two cents, everyone has their own crazy theories after all

6. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

I've actually been wondering the same thing. I mean why else have the living not spontaneously turned into zombies and why does those people bitten turn? So ya, that could be it or something close anyhow.

7. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

Actually I had a different first thought

My thought when they mentioned that those guards didn't have bite marks was that the scratches were probably not important. I thought that there may be a case in which people turn into zombies without any trauma. It just takes them awhile. If you try to think about how the zombie virus there is a chance that it started off as just people getting sick and turning into zombies as opposed to biting. So I thought when they talked about the scratch that it wasn't important. That they probably zombified from simply getting sick instead of trauma.

I don't personally like the scratch theory because then everyone is screwed. Who hasn't been scratched in some way by a zombie? But these are just theories.

8. Kursed Crusader

Kursed Crusader New Member

You make a good point. Maybe he is infected and in the car he was zoned out, thinking of what he'll have in store for him. Then again, he could just be lost or completely upset over the whole Lori idea. You could battle for both sides.

9. marsyao

marsyao Member

If you see the sneak peek of the next episode, you would know Shane is very much alive

10. Jakeo1616

Jakeo1616 New Member

He's alive, but if you remember Jim from season 1 (i believe his name was jim) he lived a pretty long time with a bite on the arm. So a scratch on the hand, especially to someone tough like Shane, i think he could go 2 or even 3 days before he showed signs.

11. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

I was kind of "huh wtf" with this.
    It's implied that Shane stabs one of the guards in the head, but then when he does it on the bus, he seems sort of baffled that headstabbings really works.
    Despite seeing Rick do it, and supposedly doing it himself.
    Maybe I'm just misreading his facial expression though..

On the topic of bites.
    Have we any confirmed turns after being bitten ?
    Jim is left in the woods and we can only assume his fate based on what generally goes on in the zombie genre.
    Amy was bitten on the throat and bled out really quickly, similarly other kills have been fatal due to zombies ripping them all to shreds.

In the comics Dales wife supposedly got bit and turned, but on the TV show he states she died of cancer.

12. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

I wonder if Rick and Shane are going to get Tetanus?

Why on Earth would anyone cut them selves up like that is beyond me...it's not like those Zs was running away lol

13. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

I was pretty confused that they seemed to prefere going for a small bloodsmear rather than the big fleshy meatbag that is bleeding.
    Hopefully I can chalk it up to the episode being mainly about character developments rather than story drive.

If they make that little trick something significant that charcaters use all the time like some deus ex machina...I'm gonna have to quit TWD
    :zombies_mad:

14. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Yes, it's an interesting direction. By this point in the comics (which I think are not relevant anymore to the overall direction) they knew what the nature of the virus was. I don't know how to do a spoiler post, so I will leave it there. Not sure if that's where they are leading with the non-bitten zombies.... oh wait I think I've figured spoilers out. :)

Obviously though, whether it's the comic direction or a new one, the unbitten zombies are significant.

15. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Yep, it seems however that the TV show purpously avoids the issue.
    And even contradicts itself at one point.

16. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Crazydwarf, how did it contradict itself? Sometimes I miss the continuity errors.

17. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Jenner says that the brain only works on a basic instinctual level.
    That all the things that make them human is gone, and no memories of their former lives would remain.
    Yet the walkers have been shown several times that this is not really true.

And to answer my own question above TS-19 is a confirmed bite-turn.

18. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Right. But I don't think Jenner's opinion should be taken as gospel on this issue. He never left the lab to test that. And we have seen several instances where clearly there are trace memories left. The little girl in the first scene of the series opener, still holding her teddy bear. And the people in the church this season, still sitting in the pews facing forward. And if I can project a little, I think even Amy showed some recognition of Andrea when she woke.

19. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

Yes, and Morgans wife (another confirmed bite-turn, man I must have had some serious brainfart above)

Sure it could be argued that Jenner didn't know squat, and his previous employment at the CDC was as a janitor.
    But this is sort of derailing the topic, there is a thread about this Here

20. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

OK then... back to Shane. The mechanics of transmission could be the point. The blood is already infected, so mixing it doesn't matter.??? But like with an alligator or Komodo dragon bite, it's the bite that will kill you even if you escape. In the comics, the bite will kill, but the virus that is already in your system, brings you back.