Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"Shane done more to keep group alive than Rick"

Discussion in 'Episode 209 - Triggerfinger' started by Syphon, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Syphon

Syphon Member

Andreas says this to Dale, who retorts with "You can't possibly beleive that."

Discuss. Yes or no and why?

2. Canadian36

Canadian36 Member

Some think shane is a wild card. But think about it. He had feelings for Lori. It's not easy to just turn those off. He could of flown off the handle. But he didn't. He respectfully stepped back when Rick came back.

Then the incident with shooting Otis? Well what would you do? Unfortunately for me I probably wouldn't do that so if I was me then both me, otis and the boy would all die. Instead he sacrificed Otis and saved 2 out of the 3 that would have died? That takes some guts and is controversial as to if it was the right move. But still, 2 out of the 3 faces lived as a result.

Now compared to Rick, Shane has done way way way more for the group. The only thing shane did was help with getting the group out of the city. I honestly can't think of much more that he's done for the group.

Where Shane's done tons:
    He saved Rick originally by blocking the door
    He comforted the boy and lori when they were distressed
    He beat up that wife beater
    He defended the camp several times
    He taught Andrea to shoot and have more confidence
    He saved the boy by getting the resperator
    He saved the guns from that moron who was gonna get rid of there only protection measure
    He cleared out the barn hazzard
    He got lori back to the house when she was tramatized

He's done nothing but kick ass and take names time and time again and he gets no respect, whats' wrong with you people!!!

3. Daryl Dixon

Daryl Dixon Member

I completely agree!!!!

4. boutte

boutte Active Member

Shane is good for short term immediate solutions. Often those solutions can be detrimental in the long run. Take the attack at the quarry for example, once the attack had begun he was very effective. But he didn't have the foresight to see that they were completely letting their guard down. If he had been a little more diligent maybe those that were killed would have been more prepared to survive.

In that same incident some people (Shane for one) blame Rick because he wasn't there. But those people forget that Rick realized that those guns he went to recover were going to come in real handy. The big mistake he made was counting on Shane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Syphon

Syphon Member

Canadian: we're talking about what has been done for the group collectively.

- "saved rick by blocking the door" wasn't with the intention that it was for the group, whether directly or indirectly.
    - comforting lori and the boy wasn't for the good of the group, because comforting them wouldn't have made the group happy or sad or any stronger.
    - beating up that wife beater is debatable whether or not it was even good for the group. it could be argued to be worse for the group since he could have done more to defend against zombies than that weak woman. Again, it didn't have to do for the good of the group.
    - defending the camp several times is nothing just he did. Rick does it too so let's leave this out to simplify the argument.
    - taught andrea how to shoot: THIS IS SOMETHING HE DID FOR THE GROUP.
    - saved carl: he did this for the group.
    - he cleared out the barn hazzard: he did this for the group
    - he got lori back to the house: he did this for the group

Now let's see the bad things he did for the group:

- beating up the wife beater such that he died from a zombie: weakening the group.
    - not thinking up of a good plan to get the respirator from the school, like Rick always does, causing him to have to shoot Otis in order to survive. His bad planning weakened the group.
    - cleared out the barn hazzard by causing a panic, losing at least 89 rounds in the process. These rounds were counted in another thread by another member. 89 ROUNDS!!! Good for the group? That practically cancels out all the good he did by getting rid of the zombies, wasting all that ammo.
    - Causing maggie's sister to go into a coma because of her shock because of that panic that HE CAUSED.
    - Causing hershel to leave the farm which then causes rick to go after him because HE CAUSED IT.
    - causing Lori to leave to find Rick because of the original cause of the problems, Shane.

Now what Rick has does:

- got the bag of guns they used to survive at least two zombie showdowns. Back at the first camp and right outside the CDC.
    - Found the farm because his son got shot. He still found it.
    - Protected Hershel and Glenn from those two raiders.
    - Blind-folded Randal so he doesn't find out where the farm is.
    - NOT killing Shane for screwing his wife because he knows it's better for the group to another trained gunsman around.
    - Handcuffing Merle because he was close to killing everyone.
    - thinking of the plan of wearing zombie flesh while wearing the raincoat during the second episode.
    - i'm too tired to think of anymore.

6. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

Bro-hug!!!1

7. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

98% of that entire post is 'questionable.' But -

Seriously, holmes?

Bro, you're too tired to think.

8. boutte

boutte Active Member

Seriously, that whole respirator mission was a huge cluster****!

9. Syphon

Syphon Member

What you basically said:

"I think you're dumb because I think you're dumb."

You didn't graduate high school, did you?

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

"Shane's done more to keep the group alive than Rick"

The difference is that Shane keeps them alive and like rabid dogs, while Rick keeps them alive and civilized.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

No need to insult some one just because your laundry list looks different than theirs.

12. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

He also came up with the plan to get under the cars when the horde moved in.
    He got them out of the CDC mess by reasoning with the Scientist.
    He was the voice of reason to talk Hershel into letting them stay within the security of the Farm.

13. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

You can also include..
    Being a reckless idiot, throwing the doors of the barn open while people he claims he wants to protect where within 50 feet of it not knowing just how many were in the barn or if they would succeed.
    Insistence on chasing after some military base, bringing everyone with them, without any sense of thought as to how safe it is.

Tried beating up the scientist which definitely would have helped the entire group well on their way to vaporization.

Not being smart enough to have 4 point stake outs at the quarry even though they had spotted a zombie in their area. People died on his watch as a result.

While knowing that noise and flames attract zombies, decided to ignore what he knew and join into on the very loud howdy
    doody time rukus at the Fish fry.

Never once went to scout or scavenger, just sits around moping at the barn, stomping around and bitching about everything that he thinks is wrong. Any kind of physical help you see him doing, tends to be along side others in the group rather than him going above and beyond to protect anyone.

Now with all this said, I do not claim him to be wrong ALL the time, there are plenty of times he is right. However, it is unrealistic the way some people around here try painting him like some damn messiah for the group when in reality, he is only human, prone to mistakes and mishaps, including flaws, and screw ups. He's no better than Rick, and claims of him doing soooo much more appear hyper inflated to me.

14. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Yes sir, and no one is conspiring to kill him either.

15. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

Well said and exactly right.

16. marsyao

marsyao Member

Yes, if you like someone, then whatever he did is a whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, if you do not like a person, then whatever he did is an action of idiocy, so what is the point to waste the time to further discussion ?

17. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

Rick is honorable and and has humanity.And is respectful of others' ideas and thoughts.

18. marsyao

marsyao Member

In the comic, Rick is half TV Rick and half TV Shane, according to the multiple spoilers we know, part of TV Rick will "step into" dark side, and part of him will became Shane after the death of Shane, that makes perfect sense to me.

19. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

As a viewer, and quite possibly if I was on the ground seeing what they see, I would hang with Rick.

And honestly, while these two always seem to be in the middle of discussions like this, let us not for get the man that is bringing high energy food to the camp... Daryl.

20. Crazydwarf

Crazydwarf Member

I very much agree, I get a little frustrated that people either paint him up with either horns or a halo.
    He's done some bad things, and some good things, and some good things in really bad ways.
    Overall I think he's trying to do whats good for the group, but he just fails to do it right.