Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Shane/Otis Poll

Discussion in 'Episode 203 - Save the Last One' started by fatbrett2, Nov 1, 2011.

?

Would you push the fat guy?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2011.
  1. Yes - push the fatty.

41.7%
  2. No - it is wrong to kill someone, even to save others.

58.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

The Shane/Otis thing reminds me of this famous moral-dilemma-type question based on a hypothetical situation.

You are standing on a bridge over a set of trolley tracks, at the bottom of a hill. You see an empty, out-of-control trolley rolling down the hill. The trolley will pass under your position, and roll into 10 track workers who can't see or hear the trolley coming because their equipment is too noisy, and they can't see or hear you. The trolley will kill them all if it isn't stopped. Next to you on the bridge is a gigantic fat man. Do you push the fat guy onto the track, killing him but saving 10 other people?

2. navyvinny

navyvinny New Member

Save everyone. No sacrifice is needed unless the man wants to do it.
    EDIT: Re-read it, I am kind of confused do you mean the trolly is coming down a hill to the people and you need to push the man to stop it?

3. AVC

AVC Member

If fatboy is some innocent bystander, then no.
    If ten people get mowed down, that's not my fault.
    If I kill fat man, that is.
    How do I know the fat guy will even stop the trolley, or these isn't some braking system that hasn't kicked in?
    Imagine if you turfed him over and the trolley stopped? Uh Oh!

Maybe if the fat guy was some scumbag I had just arrested, or he just tried to sell my kids drugs, then I'd send him flying, hopefully not to land on the workers and kill them.

4. evicfinite

evicfinite New Member

i think the analogy would have been better said like this.

a car is about to hit a little 5 year old girl who stepped out in the street to get her ball, cause you know how often that is, a car is coming at 45 miles per hour, head on about to hit her, likely kill her. you have the chance to push the girl out of the way, but will likely get hit by the car instead, most likely ending your life. there is no way around you are her dying. WHICH would you PICK?

5. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Evicfinite, that is a TOTALLY different situation, and I didn't come up with this, it has been in use for decades. And AVC, the idea is obviously that there is no emergency brake and the fat man is big enough to stop the trolley. A common variation is "An out of control trolley is coming to a fork in the track. If you do nothing, it will kill 10 people. If you pull a switch it will kill one person. Do you pull the switch?" But the point was the fat man dying to save other lives is like Otis.

6. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Member

I agree with AVC. Not my Fault. But if you have time to push the fat guy, and he roles down the hill. Couldnt you just Run down the hill and tell the workers to get the hell out of the way?

Just a thought.

7. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

This is a hypothetical, 2 choice moral dilemma. The idea isn't to try to find a way around the dilemma, the point is to choose A or B because there are no other options. And the fat guy isn't rolling anywhere. He is falling on the tracks and derailing the empty trolley (or just standing there breathing heavily, if you don't push him). Lets just say that if you try to run down to alert the workers, you will die with them -there is only enough time to push or not push.

8. evicfinite

evicfinite New Member

mine made perfect sense,

but if you wanted a better scenerio: it would be

you and your friend are being chased by a horde of bears, human hungry bears, they're traveling about 8 mph and are about half a mile away, your traveling at 4 mph cause you and your friend have a broken foot each from jumping off a ledge. you and your friend are both carrying about 10 pounds of medicine each that you need to get to a bunch of sick people or they will die. you two both have 1 bullet left. you think fast, those people at home need to live and you need to live, but if you and your friend keep at this pace, you two will end up getting caught up by the bears and eaten to death. so you have two options, try your best to get away at a 10% chance of making it out alive. or guarantee a 100% chance that you will live and others will live by shooting your friend in the leg so that he can get eaten up and you have the chance to escape.

DAMN GOOD scenerio if i might say!

9. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

If it was a good friend of mine, I couldn't do it. However, if it was someone that i just met and it meant me or him. I think I would do it.

10. Chreees

Chreees Member

If it was someone I cared about, I would definitely not have been able to do what Shane did to Otis. However, if it was a stranger or acquaintance, I'd be a little more inclined to the idea if it was me or them. But, ultimately, I would try my hardest to save both our asses. It seems like in the episode they spent so much time struggling on the ground, that they both could have possibly made it out of there had Shane not done it in the first place.

11. SuzieO

SuzieO New Member

this reminds me of another popular one.. if you could go back in time would you kill baby Hitler? As for your scenario, it is hard to choose A or B and because it is such a hard choice the brain searches for other options like seen above. The thing is that we can only speculate what we would do. I don't think I could think fast enough to come up with a plan much less think of pushing a fat guy onto the track. My natural instinct would be to start screaming... I know, I'd be so worthless, lol

12. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

In suzie's scenario, I'd rather go back a bit further and prevent the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. That way, we not only avoid the holocaust and WWII, we also avoid the First World War entirely.

13. mx_599

mx_599 New Member

laugh out loud, no!

14. Jangles

Jangles New Member

I wouldn't. I'm glad my people killed that tyrant. WW1 was a tragedy but my people did not wish to live under foreign rule.

15. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I think the rest of the world has an issue with the price tag of your freedom - 2 world wars (with no WWI and no humiliating peace deal, Germany would not have gone collectively insane, re-started the war, and tried to kill all the Slavs, Poles, Jews, etc) and 90 million dead, plus the advent of the nuclear arms race. Not to mention the fact that technically, he wasn't a tyrant yet, his dead father's cousin was. He was the heir apparent (or the heir presumptive, I forget which), not the reigning monarch.

#15 fatbrett2, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  16. Gu3rr1lla

Gu3rr1lla New Member

I don't think you can compare the two situations to be honest. I didn't see how Otis and Shane weren't able to keep running. They could have kept running. If Otis had of ran out of breath and slowed down for the zombies to catch up that wouldn't be Shanes fault and if Shane kept running and left Otis behind that wouldn't be his responsibility either. He purposefully shot the man.

I disagree that this hypothetical situation is a moral dilemma because in a state of compulsion there is no such thing as morality, so either choice is not more or less moral than the other. Morality is about preventing this situation from occurring in the first place.

I wish academic philosophers would stop wasting their time on such questions like this and concentrate on the morality of the initiation of violence, in the form of taxation, laws, and regulations. Ya'know, stuff that actually impacts peoples lifes but of course if they did this they would have no job.

17. WalkingDead4Ever

I would jump and save the 10 people and the fat man:)

18. Jangles

Jangles New Member

Who would have guessed all of that would happen though? Think about it. What would you do if someone came into your home and started pushing you around telling you what the rules were and how you had to behave? You probably wouldn't like it and would attempt to do something about it.

I would blame the cause of WW1 (and the subsequent chain of events) on Austria as they pulled the first trigger, so to speak.

Plus other factors, such as the peace treaty offered to and accepted by Germany, that you brought up, contributed greatly to WW2.

19. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I know - WWII was mostly France's fault for the Versailles treaty. And I know Gavrilo Princip had no way of knowing what the assassination would lead to, but he also never expressed any regret for the millions of uninvolved, non-oppressive people who died. And the fact remains, with no WWI, there would be no WWII, because Germany would have no reason to feel bitter and vengeful. Serbians deserve freedom, but most of the 80 million people who were killed in both wars also deserved to live.

The basic math is the main problem - Serbia's population in 1914 was less than 5 million people. How is the freedom of 5 million people worth the LIVES of 80 million people, almost none of whom ever opressed Serbia? Even if we ignore WWII, I don't think 5 million people's freedom is worth tens of millions of lives.

Once the assassination happened, EVERYONE behaved like a brainless monster - Austro-Hungary, Germany, Russia, Serbia, France, England, EVERYONE. But it was a very mindless war started over something that didn't affect most of the combatants.

#19 fatbrett2, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  20. Jangles

Jangles New Member

I'm not sure about your point about Gavrilo as we know that the winners write history so I will take that point with a large grain of salt. Gavrilo also died before the war ended (if I remember correctly, it was around that time) and he was imprisoned for 4 years prior to his death barely surviving, in what I would assume to be very poor conditions. If the assassination did not take place, Serbia may have ceased to exist, I may not be living today, my people may not be living today. Gavrilo did what he thought was best for his people. At that point in history I am sure that Gavrilo was busy focusing on his dying people and how to break free from oppression, leaving little time to worry about foreign affairs.

I do understand the math, and the numbers are truly catastrophic, but just because you're the little guy, it doesn't mean you should be forced to suffer, bite your tongue, and not have a say in what happens in your own country. At that point, you're looking after your own survival and doing what you can to ensure that there is a future for your people.

I'm sure you're correct on your first point in your last paragraph and I agree that it was a mindless war, but the war turned into something so much more then Serbia/Austria VERY quickly.. Do you think The Allies went to war to protect Serbia from Austria/Germany? Of course not. They went to war because Germany found a good excuse to declare war and wanted to attempt to expand themselves. Had Germany simply declared war on Serbia, it would have been a war of Russia against Germany.