Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Shane scares me

Discussion in 'Episode 207 - Pretty Much Dead Already' started by Joshua, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Joshua

Joshua Member

I seriously hope someone or a Walker will kill Shane later in the season cause he scared me in this episode. Why was he freaking out like that? Was it his guilt of killing Otis getting to him? He was usually so calm in season 1 and early season 2.

2. Lucky

Lucky Member

Yep, he's definitely becoming unhinged.

3. Julia Ds

Julia Ds Member

He was frightening to watch in the last episode. The man was in berserk mode. I kept thinking to myself "Why the hell does no one shoot him in the leg or something- get him away from the barn!"
    Crazy control freak with guns, what a horrible mix.

4. Dr. Geek

Dr. Geek Member

The man can act that's for sure. I have read people say he can't but just watch PMDA.

5. EternalWreckage

EternalWreckage Active Member

He lets his anger get to him, and he takes it out on whatever or whoever is there to take it out on. I'm sure he feels super guilty about Otis, even though he still thinks he did the right thing. I guess he was kind of frightening at the barn, but if he didn't do it who would've?

6. Ronnie Coulter

Ronnie Coulter New Member

OP you must have missed a few parts of the episode. I'll elaborate for you.

1. Shane wants the group to go to Ft Benning where he believes help is at. Rick keeps procrastinating keeping the group at the farm.

2. Several members of the group are dead ( Amy, Jim, that black lady, Sophia ). Those people would still be alive if the group had listened to Shane. He has stated this many times and he is holding some anger towards Rick for this.

3. The woman he cares for ( Lori ) is treating him like dirt. He kept her safe all that time and Rick waltzes back in and she runs back to him. Now she is preggers and doesn't even want to acknowledge the fact the baby may be his. Any man would be hurt by this.

4. They are camped right next to a barn full of walkers.

5. Ricks decision to give up the groups guns makes everyone unsafe.

6. The woman he loves ( Lori ) is vulnerable. He can't protect her as well if they get another walker attack without the guns.

Add all this up and any man would get a little "scary" :Grin:

7. Belha

Belha Member

His attitudes are scary but I do find some sense in all his craziness.

8. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Cracked...guy is cracked!

9. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

I disagree. Shane's reactions are over the top. He's an overly aggressive control freak, and his anger clouds his judgement. And humanity. This makes him dangerous to all. He outright told Lori that only she and Carl mattered to him, and he would do "whatever it took" to keep them safe. Also, making decisions for an entire group because you are big and have guns is not "what any man would do". Just an aggressive db with too much meat between his ears.

On another note, Dale knows he killed Otis. Also, Shane told Dale last week about how if he would kill his best friend, what would he do to Dale who he doesn't even like. Call me harsh, but if it had been me there with the guns, knowing what Shane was going to do, and that he threatened me, he'd be toast. Violent, murderous, screaming, out of control men with guns are not beneficial for survival.
    Not to mention his attempted rape of Lori last season.

10. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Rick does not want them to make the same mistake they did with CDC. The Barn seems save, and there is no guarantee that Ft. Benning is safe. Plus they were not going to leave without finding Sophia. Shane hates this idea even though if this was Carl or Lori, he'd be the same way. He could care less about anyone else.

How so? Shane did not want Rick going back to the city. Rick not only went back for a man but to get all the other guns which btw, proved to be useful this last episode. If it wasn't for those guns, they wouldn't have been able to ambush the barn full of Zombies.
    I don't support what she did, I think she's just as much of a jerk for this, and the catalyst for all his scariness. However, what did he expect her to do? He saw that she still wore her husbands ring, and her husband was his best friend. Lesson to be learned, don't try to bang your best friend's wife, find a single available woman of your own without a ring on their necklace. That was the first clue she at least wasn't mentally available even if she was good at playing house with him.
    this is the one thing I can't blame him for being very upset about.
    They weren't totally gone, they were in the camper, easy access. That's why Shane was mad when Dale took them. This group was more in the habit of taking zombies out without gun fire even when they had them all, in order not to attract more zombies. They had stake outs. If there was a real zombie infiltration they would have gotten their guns in time from the camper.
    He won't do a very good job protecting her by putting her at risk by letting all these zombies out of the barn either, or making sure that they are unwelcome at the only place that they know for sure is a safe haven right now.
    I think most men are smarter than this.

With that said, I wouldn't have Shane any other way. His craziness adds to the suspense and the fact that he's scaring people means the actor is doing a damn good job.

11. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Well, Shane lied to Lori about Rick being dead. When her husband shows up alive, she's a little ticked. She goes back to her husband. Then Shane tries to RAPE Lori at the CDC. Personally I give Lori credit for not immediately getting a gun and shooting his nards off. Why exactly is she supposed to be nice to him? Can't imagine being pals with a violent rapist.

12. Tom Jones

Tom Jones New Member

Oh wow... you are WAY off!
    First of all, Shane did NOT lie about Rick being dead. Did you even watch the show? Did you watch the flashback of Shane's head pressed up against Ricks chest in the hospital after all the cords got ripped out of his machine?! ..and telling how he heard NO Heartbeat?! He thought he was dead!
    Second, Shane did not "try" to "rape" Lori. If he really wanted to get that ass by force.. he could of easily. He was trying to recreate the feelings they shared in the woods together. But since Rick is now alive, Lori denied the poon.
    Ya dig?

#12 Tom Jones, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  13. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

That is not entirely correct, Shane told her what he believed. I guess you forget the flash back he had of going in to try to rescue Rick, when the national guard was killing everyone in sight, and he listened to his chest and didn't hear his heart. Shane was wrong, he made a mistake, but not an intentional one. He's not a doctor.
    When her husband shows up alive, that's her excuse to crap all over Shane for her part in their relationship, and for her own misplaced anger in dropping her drawers for him and rolling in the grass so soon. She don't want to hear about the national guard and his rescue effort, let alone the fact that if he didn't come to her, she and Carl would probably be dead.
    If Shane was really wanting to rape her, he could have had her every which way but loose that night. She's a 5 foot toothpick, he's hulking. He was drunk, sloppy and upset at her sudden nastiness to him. (which was taking place BEFORE this scene). He was desperate and he thought she still loved him. He was drunk, sad, and was falling all over her trying to kiss her. Wrong...yes! A little slap or scratch to the face knocked him to his senses. But violent rapist??? Come now. She would have been beaten to a pulp and raped if that's what he was.
    Because that's how decent humans are when they share intimate sexual moments with some one that they feel they made a mistake with that's why. Plus a bright person might realize that they are setting some one off and this is endangering the whole group. But then again, Lori showed she didn't care about that when she had Maggie and Glen fetch her magazines and abortion pills.

with all that said...I am not a fan of Shane, I hate the character. But when I see exaggerated statements about him, it puts me in a position to defend him, and start to see more why he's upset...please don't.

#13 Zambi, Dec 2, 2011
  14. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Guys, yeah I have watched the show. Again and again. First point is that Shane was not certain if Rick was dead or not. He said Rick was dead so (imo) he didn't look like a wuss for running out on him. And so he could get what he wanted...Lori
    As to the rape. Yes. He. Tried. To. Rape. Her. She had to scratch his face to get him to stop. What? We're supposed to give him props because he didn't pulverize her? Court of law...if she says no, and he attempts to force her...it's rape. Or in this case attempted rape.

As to Lori...eh. Yeah. She's selfish and needy. Treated Shane a little poorly in the beginning. I've been there. Most civilized people do not go Neanderthal though. (Still, I kind of cheered him on when he beat the bejeezus out of Ed. )

I think Dale pretty much has Shane pegged. He's violent. Untrustworthy. And a murderer. Not sure how those are good qualities. He does not think clearly in a situation. Breaking into the barn was stupid. He could have killed all the walkers without breaking open the door and endangering everyone outside. Loft. And the crossbow would have helped keep the noise down rather than broadcasting to every walker in the vicinity where they were.

In the end, I think it's pretty clear what Kirkman is doing with Shane. He started out somewhat humane. Wanted to kill Rick to get Lori, but didn't. Tried to rape Lori, but stopped when she gouged his neck. Step by step though, he is shedding those inhibitions. Eventually I believe he will be to the point where he would do either.

#14 jacobmarley, Dec 2, 2011
  15. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

He thought he was dead. He did not think there was a chance for Rick. He also pointed out to Lori he didn't think she'd save herself and Carl, and I do think he was very interested in saving them not just for romance either.....at least not at first.
    And Lori had no say in this? Of course she did. Maybe there was something about her that screamed easy to him for him to even be thinking he could get her in the sack and to be his woman.
    You suppose that little cat scratch would have stopped a real rapist? It wouldn't.
    No, we shouldn't give him props, and we shouldn't be so big on giving her props either,she brought this triangle crap all on herself. Takes two to tango and not wanting to tango so suddenly and being an asshat instead won't cause the other want to wanna quit the tango. You claimed he was a "Violent" rapist, the point was you have no evidence for the claim which includes the fact that he didn't pulverize her while raping her.
    Court of law wouldn't have even looked at this. This would be a big waste of court time. Plus her scratch occurred right around the "no" moment and he stopped and let her pass by.
    It's pretty clear to me that he is turning Shane into a formidable foe, and a very unbalanced person. We should be expecting him to get more and more deadly, He needed the love triangle as a catalyst for it. As for the rest, no it is not clear that Kirkman wants to birth a rapist or kill Rick over Lori. But I do think eventually he may just say F it and want to kill everyone. Probably Dale is mostly on his crap list at this point.

Now all this haggling over dumb Lori has really distracted from the point of the post IMO. The little paragraph you extracted that out of was my defending the reasons to believe Shane is Scary, rather than agreeing with the excuses some one made for him...please review.

At this point, it would see like beating a dead horse. Perhaps we can agree to disagree about Lori at this point? But do we agree that Shane really is getting scary and becoming more and more of a threat to the group? I have a feeling we agree on this. :)

#15 Zambi, Dec 2, 2011
  16. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Sometimes it does. Not every rapist will pulverize his victim to get them to submit. I do apologize for the "violent rapist" comment. I think I was unclear. (obviously) I didn't mean that his attempt with Lori was super violent. I just meant he attempted to rape her. And is violent. Just typing too fast.

I don't disagree about Lori. To me, she really has no redeeming qualities at this point. She's selfish and needy. Gives nothing back. As to Shane, yep. For a while there, I had a theory that they might turn him into the big bad character from the comics (no spoilers). Although Merle's character actually has certain promise there. (or they could just cast a different actor) Hard to say. My theories are not turning out very well. They killed Sophia. And obviously what Jenner whispered to Rick at the CDC was not that Lori was pregnant. I really need to stop predicting. :eek:)

17. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I shared a lot of the same theories you had. So needless to say mine aren't working out either. I thought Merle might wind up being the Governor, and that Lori being Pregnant was what was whispered to Rick. Rick even mentioned Lori's name on walkie talkies to Morgan and stopped. SO I wonder what Jenner had said.

I think for the most part your views are very valid, its just that everyone sees things from different lenses. I suppose that's part of what makes the show good. The characters are not one dimensional you can get 20 people together seeing sharp contrasts.

18. Wesker

Wesker Member

Shane is actually one of the few who are acting rationally. He sees the danger. He decides to eliminate the danger. There's a lot of talking of losing ones humanity etc. In the conditions that they are in how much humanity can they afford to hold on to. The rational decision would be to use their superior firepower and just take over Herschels farm. Their guns, their rules..Herschel can stay and get along of HE can leave....thats survival. No time for private property, no time for cuddly girlfriends...it's about survival. Is that mean...yes, very mean, but how much kindness can you afford. It's a world full of pain and heartbreak. Should they risk their lives to avoid hurting Herschels feelings? Don't get me wrong, I like Herschel and I think he's a good man, but he's facing an armed group of desperate people..he is not in position to issue ultimatums. Shane seems to be one of the few who realize that they have the upper hand here and should take advantage of it. His "craziness" is more extreme frustration at the fact that Rick and others want to make nice and act like the world as we know it still exists. Where I disagree with Shane though is on the subject of Sophia...the group needs to stick together and finding a lost little girl needed to be the top priority until it was resolved, without giving up. Shane also showed the unwillingness to make the tough decision at the barn regarding Sophia. Shane and Rick need each other, but in a balanced way, to lead this group.

19. Mandy Jayne 'n' Lucy

I don't like Shane he seems out of control, I think his actions if not checked could put the rest of the group in some serious danger. saying that its a great part and I think he plays it very well. He certainly livened up last nights episode.

20. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

IN that case, then Hershel should have boarded up his place and never bothered to help them with Carl. Survival with no humanity, and new comers are a threat. Let the boy die and leave these unknown people out in the wild. Is that what Shane wanted?

Seems Shane only wants the cruel survival only when it does not affect his loved ones.

No, his extreme Frustration is that Lori doesn't want him and is mean and nasty to him every chance she gets. Notice the last episode he was calm until she told him he can't be a father to his own baby if it's his and again gave him the nasty attitude. You think if Lori suddenly told him "I want to be your woman but you have to do everything Hershel says and I will be all yours" he would say NO to that and not follow it??? Of course he would, he'd do anything that she wanted if she promised to be his. SO it's not about being intelligent in survival, its about him going more and more insane over being constantly around some one who doesn't want him.

As far as Rational, how do you suppose it's rational to sound off all those guns and cause every zombie from miles around to make a bee line for the place? (providing that the writers are consistent with how Zombies react to gun sounds and why they normally can't even fire one gun off)

Wasn't rational at all. Perhaps if he had sat down with Rick and they talked and worked on thinks they all could have agreed on something with Hershel. Even if it was to offer to have him go get them lifted up so he could pull all their damn teeth out so they wouldn't be threatening any longer.