Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Shane touching Rick while dying

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Better Angels' started by Nachtbringer, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

I never noticed that until watching it recently.

[​IMG]

Thats so sad :(
    If Shane would hate Rick would he do that?

2. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

I've always maintained that Shane changed his mind about killing Rick and allowed Rick to make the choice as to whether or not to kill him and Rick decided to do so. Shane had the upper hand the entire time and could have killed Rick at any time he wanted to.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Esse

Esse Member

.. this scene T_T

IMO Shane never really hated Rick but in his twisted state of mind it was just a matter of time before the part of him that saw Rick as the source of all his problems, as the thing that was keeping him from having a purpose and being happy, would win over the one that until then stopped him from killing his best friend.

Anyway I think Shane's grip gradually becoming a caress was his way to say to Rick that he was sorry. A moment of clarity at the end.

#3 Esse, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  4. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

@ Shane357. This is the thread.

5. a.t.a.k.i.t.h

a.t.a.k.i.t.h Member

Wow, great thread, this got my feels.

6. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Don't put a space between @ and the name if you want a "mention" notification to pop up for them. Let me help send up the [MENTION=95251]Shane357[/MENTION] bat signal for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Just need to draw some barbed wire on it and we could have our very own Negan Signal!

9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I always thought Shane changed his mind right at the end by the look on his face - he didn't hate Rick. He was a messed up, love sick, hot-headed fool whose mind was being played with by a female devil.

...but, even so, Rick couldn't' take chances on a guy who was actually planning to kill him even for a moment. I mean his family and everyone else's lives were on the line with Shane's rapid downward spiral.

10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I rewatched the scene, and it's so heartbreaking after Rick stabs him and he starts saying "YOU DID THIS TO US!" Ahhh tear my heart out why don't you. I'm a little more undecided on whether or not Shane changed his mind, but his face did start to soften up. Still - he was way too much of a wildcard, especially with the things he said about Rick's family.

[video=youtube;jnx4f5aRCbI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnx4f5aRCbI[/video]

#10 Jen7, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  11. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

"This was you. Not May!"

this is May, for those who are wondering. I'm not sure why Rick would think that Shane would think he was involved:
    [​IMG]

12. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

I say this in Rick-voice on a pretty regular basis. It works for so many things.

13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

In the still image of that video it looks like Rick is doing some type of tap dance.

14. ShaneFan

Dang it, I wrote this yummy reply and then my Internet connection kissed Lucille. Grrr....

@DragonRacer, thank you so much! I was wondering why it wasn't highlighting my tag for Shane357, when it had done so before. ;-)

@HondaS2kXD, loving that cartoon and "Not May" pics! When I first saw the bat, I was thinking "where's the barbwire??" Poor Batman, he can't win. :)

@Shane357, I'm so glad you got to see this thread. It's the reason why I put in my fic about Rick noticing Shane reaching out to him before he died.

@Jen7 - It really is a heartbreaking scene. To think that Shane and Rick were once best friends, brothers, police partners and the ZA just distorted all that. The stuff with Lori added to it. There are many parts about this scene that stood out to me. Two of them come to mind:

1. Shane yelling at Rick "you have no idea what I live with!" When Shane yells that part, it hurts my heart, because Rick really had no clue as to what Shane had lived with already, (such as shooting Otis so that Carl would live) although in time eventually Rick and especially Carol would be haunted by the emotional and traumatic effects of killing others to live.

2. Rick is sitting near Shane's body, just like Shane was over Rick's body when Rick got shot. I think this was purposely done to show the reversal, make their friendship come full circle.

Shane357 and I have written fanfic on this scene (as have other fans) and discussed it in-depth. We were thinking along the lines of Shane intended to kill Rick, but couldn't bring himself to do it, and wanted Rick to kill him. Suicide by cop. Jon Bernthal had mentioned in an interview that the scene does have a subtle suicide flavor to it. I can see that especially since Shane could've shot Rick at any point. He was walking behind Rick when they went out into the field. That's one way he could've easily killed Rick. When they're out in the field, he's talking so much trash, but he doesn't pull the trigger.

Also...after everything that Shane had been through and done...with Lori, Otis, Randall, ...with how much he had changed, what happened with him and Rick...Shane was truly lonely. He knew he couldn't live in this world anymore. I think Shane wanted Rick to kill him...almost like putting him out of his misery...but also to make Rick stronger, into the man he had to be for the ZA. Rick can't keep hesitating and overthinking...even if it means killing his best friend. Shane had told him that the right choice is the one that keeps you alive and Shane wanted Rick to make that difficult heart-wrenching choice.

Also...as for what Shane was saying about Rick's family...he was trying to infuriate Rick, get Rick to get angry and kill him. Shane loved Carl, he wanted Carl to get those supplies whether it meant sacrificing himself--although it was Otis and his own sanity he sacrificed. He wanted Carl to learn to protect himself--by giving Carl the gun. He taught Carl valuable skills--such as the clove hitch knot that Carl ties in Season 4 to keep walkers out. With Lori...well, Lori is Lori,--a barrel of snakes (not even a can of worms), that I don't want to get into here, but I really think everything he said was done to hurt and anger Rick to the point of making Rick shoot him. Who Shane Walsh was in that last scene is a far cry from who we saw in S1E1.

#14 ShaneFan, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  15. Shane357

Shane357 Active Member

Have you ever noticed the mirroring of Rick and Shane?

These scenes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#15 Shane357, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  16. ShaneFan

Yes, those images definitely match each other. It's interesting how much Shane and Rick mirror each other.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Would have been great to have some sort of Shane flashback last season around the time Rick was pushing to attack the Savior's outpost.

18. ShaneFan

That would've been great, Stealth. Which flashback of Shane would you have used?

19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Just something that demonstrated that Rick's approach at Alexandria was similar to where Shane's mind was early in the Apocalypse. They did throw in some references to the Governor though. At the meeting Rick said they needed to kill them all, and then they jumped over to Tara's reaction.

20. ShaneFan

That would be interesting since Rick became very much like Shane. What was Tara's reaction since there was reference to the Governor? I wonder if Shane would've supported Rick's actions in Season 6.