Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Shane's lack of forethought at the FEMA trailer.

Discussion in 'Episode 203 - Save the Last One' started by Walker Bait, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Going back and rewatching the first seven episodes of season 2 to get ready for the second half of the season.

It occurs to me that the dilemma Shane and Otis faced at the FEMA trailer was almost identical to the situation Rick and Glenn faced in trying to get the delivery truck to the loading dock of the department store to rescue the others trapped inside in season one.

Rick's solution: You lead the walkers away in a car (fast enough to ensure you outrun them) which opens up a clear path for me in the truck.

Shane's solution: Distract them with shiny stuff while you and I both sneak into the trailer, at which point we will be COMPLETELY FRICKIN BLIND to what's going on outside when it's time to make our escape.

Debate all you want about whether or not Shane was justified in shooting Otis to save Carl. That's a valid debate to have. But my point is the two of them would have never been in the position for Shane to have to make that choice if he had come up with a better plan prior to entering the trailer. Instead of grabbing flares out of the trunk of that cop car, Shane should have said, "Okay, Otis, I'm going to get in this cruiser, fire up the sirens and get these walkers' attention. I'll lead 'em away while you lay low. When they're gone, get into the trailer, grab what we need, and get back to the truck. We'll meet back at the farmhouse. Good luck, brother."

After giving Otis a reasonable amount of time to get in and out Shane could kill the lights and floor it, leaving the walkers in the dust. Back on the farm they could crack open a cold one, cripple a few chickens, and tell war stories. And then Otis could say, "Oh, God, I'm so sorry, that little girl you're looking for must have gotten attacked. I found her this morning and put her in the barn. But don't worry, Hershel thinks they're working on a cure."

2. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

It is all about planing in the long run. Shane is off the cuff with, like you said, no real forethought. I agree 100% that had Rick or Glen gone with Otis, things would have been different.

3. Syphon

Syphon Member

Genius OP. I didn't think of this, but you're absolutely correct.

4. boutte

boutte Active Member

That's not as good for the plot though. If you back through the series there are lots examples of this kind of thing. The CDC for example. All they needed was some diesel. How hard would that be to find?

5. Syphon

Syphon Member

^ They were kinda sealed off, though, and they were out of fuel. We are to assume that all the fuel had already been used up.

6. Greyone

Greyone Member

Also, Rick led them to the door of the CDC and kept them there until it was too late to escape. Unless those doors open they all die. Rick didn't leave Carl with T-Dog in the RV and tell them "If we don't get in, and things get hot- you come up there and drag our asses out!"

7. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Within the context of the show, their lack of a plan for exiting the medical trailer is the catalyst that sets the events in motion that will lead to Otis' death. It's about as simple as that, really...

8. Greyone

Greyone Member

Absolutely correct, Bassman. But as I read once: in a good show, the characters NEVER know they're acting for an audience. In a bad one, they NEVER forget that they are.

Its up to the writers to pen events that makes sense FOR THE STORY and not just throw in inplausible situations and characters for the sheer hell of it- that tactic has crippled and killed many promising series: Heroes, Jericho, and very soon True Blood. TWD has (had?) the opportunity to be MUCH better than these if it resists the urge to turn itself into a caricature.

9. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I find it's best to enjoy it rather than pick everything apart. Suspension of disbelief is needed for everything. Of course it's fun to discuss certain inaccuracies and ANY piece of entertainment has them, but there comes a point where some fans take it too far and are clearly trying their best to NOT enjoy the show.

Not to mention TWD is and has always been about normal people living in an extraordinary world where they're constantly making mistakes and learning from them. If something like the medical trailer is a big deal, you're going to REALLY hate some things that happen later in the story.

#9 Bassman, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. Greyone

Greyone Member

Bassman, have you seen The Wire? The Corner? Or any number of Korean action/suspense movies? NO mistakes. There's even a lot of cartoons that are had to pick apart, accepting their premise. TWD just makes it easy. But Season 1 Episode 1 was damn near flawless. I think it might have set the bar too high...

Writers have to remember, very often less is more.

11. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, Days Gone By set a very high bar, but there are poor decisions made in that episode as well.

Anyway, like I said before - TWD will continue to have the characters make poor decisions. It's part of the series. Not a survivalist's wet dream.

12. Damrod

Damrod Member

No plan no matter how well thought out, survives the intail contact intact. Something else would have gone wrong. For right now it works and we have to let the characters deal with it. Safe and sound we can think of many ways to do things. It real life, it all changes quickly.

13. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think this is bad writing or out of character at all. I think it's very much like Shane to think, "Okay, there's the medical supply trailer. The stuff we need is in there. Let me find the quickest way possible to distract the walkers. Oh, hey, a flare! Perfect. There they go. Okay, c'mon, Otis, let's both get in there!"

That's been the way Shane has rolled since the start of the series. Pure action, no forethought.

My criticism was direct at Shane as a character, no the writers or the use of the plot device. And I think if he'd gone about it any other way it would have been out of character for him.

14. silmarien

silmarien Member

Well, I think it's possible they both just thought "Hey the zombies will probably stay distracted by the shiny things for awhile". Isn't that possible?

The problem with a lot of their actions in this series is that they don't understand zombie behavior - why some hang out in "herds" and roam around, what motivates the zombies, whether zombies just walk around randomly, or if there's some sort of a pattern, the level of zombie intelligence, zombie ability to climb certain things (stairs are doable but not ladders?), what will cause a couple zombies to break off from the main herd to go after food opposed to something that will cause MOST of the herd to turn around and run after aforementioned food, etc.

Someone should really hang around the zombies and study their behavior! That information could be incredibly useful. Just sayin!!!

15. Damrod

Damrod Member

Zombies are just like people. When you finally figure them out, they do something different. Their minds are now hardwired differently, so you can never tell for sure.

16. RicksRightHand

The OP has a solid point, but as discussed I think it surmised exactly Shanes mentality when he's faced with a situation. He's a "do now, think later" type of guy for sure. Look at the barn incident for example. How did he know what they were up against, how many, would they manage the situation without risk? He just blew the door open and forced everyones hand.

The writing for this show in excellent. Like Bassman said, this show isn't a how-to-guide on surviving a zombie apocalypse... often its acted as a how-not-to guide. Again, some people aren't happy to just let their imagination take control... if you really want to start debating on the actions of a character and how they were wrong to do something, you'd might as well just have a debate on whether we should have the show at all.

17. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

When Shane crept up and opened the cop car door, I was sure he was going to do the lead-them-away strategy. Hell, if you led them away you could hook up a truck to the FEMA trailer and haul it all back to the farm - lots of useful stuff and no chance you'd miss that vital piece that Hershel needs to treat Carl.

But Shane is a shoot-from-the-hip sort, and Otis was too guilted out to say anything. Dumb waste of ammo and manpower.

I agree that it was about developing Shane's character. What there is of it.