Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Shine a positive light - some season finale love

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - The Good Man' started by Dnae, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Here is your chance to share what you liked or loved about the season finale of FTWD.

As usual, I will choose to watch a second time before offering my thoughts. But just out of the gate...I thought it was an excellent episode and a great note to end the season on

2. Crowcreek

Crowcreek Member

This was the episode I have been waiting for, it ended the way I have discussed with friends. In the walking dead, I know it follows the comics loosely but I always said head for the coast, head for coast and bam ! we are at the coast.

The coast opens a new world, for me it makes sence. Marinas , boats, kayaks, fishing gear, rain gear, survival kits, flares, knives, scuba gear and the list goes on and on . I was losing hope in a few episodes but this ending sealed the deal and I loved it. Now hop on that mega yacht and head for south east alaska. Oh I knew it was gonna be Liza that was killed off, I think a lot of people did.

Strand is a interesting character and hopefully we get some of his backstory sooner then later. Lets hear some others chime in here

3. Thrishmal

Thrishmal New Member

I enjoyed this episode, it had more of what I expect from such a series. While I did have trouble swallowing the whole defense of the compound scenario as it was portrayed, it was still fun to watch!

4. Znuts

Znuts Member

I really enjoyed this final episode. In one episode, it moved the storyline and setting to a new place as well as moved most of the characters to a new place.

I liked the character development most this episode. I did not like Daniel in the first few episodes with him in them, but he has grown on me and surprised me with every episode since. I did not see the thousands of walkers coming when he just nonchalantly strolled up to the compound gate. That was badass and something new in his character that I liked.

Maddie went full cold blooded this episode. Nothing too new with her, but she is clearly in a new mentality and I think will thrive in this new world.

The biggest surprise to me was the breaking of Travis. Up until the compound scene, Travis is still trying to see the good in people, by letting the soldier go free. Once he realized his mistake almost got someone killed, he finally lost it and pummeled the soldier hard. He looked seething and had such intensity that I had been waiting all season to see from him. I think Maddie picked up on this and also picked up on the fact that if the military can't protect them, then she will need some strong people in her group. This leads to the next morning at the beach when Liza asks Maddie to kill her, since it would break Travis. Travis then comes down and after assessing what needs to be done, asks Maddie for the gun, which Maddie quickly offers to Travis, knowing that this will break him and Maddie needs the tough side of Travis, if they are all going to survive.

I really enjoyed this finale and can't wait for the season 2 premiere!

5. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I have been as hard as anyone on this show and to me it was wall to wall filler...so here is my season ending love....... The last 15 minutes were pretty good.

#5 mtito914, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

For my live reaction thread couch mates
    @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=41032" target="_blank">and138</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=40811" target="_blank">zombiemom62</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=26751" target="_blank">TheWalkingHorn</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=90591" target="_blank">Cavedeth</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=50951" target="_blank">Apollonia</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=85521" target="_blank">Hope the Savior</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=38372" target="_blank">Jag</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=59101" target="_blank">RickyGrimes</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=26682" target="_blank">Sharpie61</a> @<a href="http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=91741" target="_blank">Tara La Reine</a>

....Ronny's take on the finale

F*ck, I give up on the "mentions"...hope you guys get them!

[video]https://youtu.be/aolmPRfFWnc[/video]

BTW zombiemom62 and Apollonia - hoping you gals have a great time this week!!

#6 Dnae, Oct 5, 2015
  7. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I dont fly out till next Monday....and no worries. Im bringing my laptop so both z-mom and I can be on forum lol. Thanks for the above, despite the negative stuff ive been reading in other threads i personally loved this episode....in fact, I am going to say why i loved it while countering some of the negative things people have been writing about. The episode was intense. I loved Nick's honesty, Strands' mystery, Travis's growing balls, Chris' balls growing more, Maddie growing enough balls for the both of them, Daniel showing them what having balls gets them, and lastly, Alicia and Ofelia realizing that they are not helpless and can crush balls.

1. The leading the walkers to the gates was genius move on Daniels part. I honestly think that the help he got was his daughter was having a car running while snipping one link....the way those doors were being banged on from inside, it would not have taken much to have that chain give way.

2. I dont care how many shots the Army fired at the uncoming herd. Panic,, surprise and the overwhelming numbers could have played a huge factor as to why they weren't all shot in the head. C'mon, for that to happen each soldier would have to be assigned a certain amount, unless of course they were given some type of pill which made them cognitive of what each other was doing, thus not all firing at the same group of walkers at the same time. Silly? yes, so is picking this scene apart. It was just awesome.

3. This Strand guy is intriguing and funny as hell. When he took his cufflinks back and told the buffet soldier to "keep the watch" i burst out laughing. Also, i think this guy is a drug lord. For no other reason but how would a Salesman have a house like that and a yacht. Plus, recognizing that Nick was a user? Knowing he could use him for help to get out? Only another in the drug trade would recognize that. And "Abigail" is no tugboat. That boat cost serious coin. I may be wrong, but im calling it now.

4. Chris' chivalry and protectiveness over Alicia was endearing. Especially since telling Madde to stay out of family business. He is looking out for Alicia and thats cool on any level.

5. Travis needed to be the one to kill Liza. As sad as it was, he NEEDED to be broken in order to keep them together going forward. And i will compare him forever as going "full Rick" with the way he went after Andrew. Half that battle was his guilt and the other half the embracing of what he will have to be.

6. Maddie and Daniel are the two that I am really enjoying in this show. Her "never get between a Lioness and her cub" attitude and his, "its back to the Jungle, time to kill before being killed" mentality. It is going to prove awesome come next season. I saw alot of negative posts about them leaving and not warning anyone. I have to agree with the way they did it. Self preservation is the first thing you think about - anyone thinks about. Letting everyone else in on the plans would most likely cause a stampede or one of them letting the cat out of the bag. For his plan to work (the herd of walkers and the sneaking into the compound), the few people who knew, the better. Also, sacrificing others to save your own ass is something alot of us would do in any circumstance. Its just the way we are made.

Anyway, I cant wait to see where that 'boat' takes them. Seriously, they are escaping in a luxury yacht. How cool is that lol.

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

First of all.....damn, we are of the same mind set!! Second, yeah I am keeping your entire synopsis in my post because dammit it is worth repeating. Especially your growing/having/crushing balls intro.

Your #2 bullet - I do not even venture into the complaints department specifically due to your last sentence of - picking apart the episode to the Nth degree. So much so, that some people have become adept at picking apart what is not even there LOL. The one "argument" that always makes me chuckle is how this or that is just not realistic. For christ sakes, it is a freakin' show about the end of times at the hands of the undead walking the earth. I think we have some leeway here for suspension of reality!

Your #3 bullet - I agree, something is fishy about Mr. Strand and being a drug lord of sorts is not too far fetched to believe. In episode 5 when he tells Nick not sell himself short that his heroin addiction is the gold standard. IMO that clues us in on him being a bit more knowledgeable than your average joe salesperson.

With my mini rant over and done with let me just say again that I agree with everything you have posted and am already to start a countdown thread for season 2!!

Bits that spoke volumes to me....

1. When Nick and Strand are trapped on one side of the door and Maddie is desperately trying to open it from the other side. Nick just knows in that instant that he will not make it our alive and then he says to Maddie "Go" and touches the window with his hand where her hand is lingering. GAH....the feels. Whatever Nick's faults are, there is no doubt about the depth of love he has for him mom and sister.

2. That brief moment when Chris and Alicia are looking out to the sea enjoying a popsicle - just another summer evening spent hanging out with your new best friend. Thought it was a great way to illustrate the deepening friendship of these two. I love that two young adults have one another to lean on, to understand each other. I miss Carl having that. Let me just clarify - I ain't shipping them, I just think it will be moments of respite to have a true and genuine friendship develop over time

3. When Dr. Exner is about to turn the cattle gun on herself - her resignation and despair is evident and easily felt as a viewer.

4 My gosh...the end scene with Liza, Maddie and Travis - that was executed perfectly by all involved from the actors to the director to each member of the crew/team who played a hand on getting that scene from the location to my television. In a word, it was stunning. Not since the death of Lori has a scene such as that felt so personal and intimate. It was almost as though I were eavesdropping on the conversation between Maddie and Liza

#8 Dnae, Oct 5, 2015
  9. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

After a re watch I found it a lot better.. Overall a pretty good season ending.. My interest is has been resurrected.

10. worldlyman

worldlyman New Member

I found this episode the most viscerally thrilling of either show. I thought what Rick's caravan went through hiding under cars to avoid the herd on the highway was the high point of unnerving suspense. But all they had to do was basically wait it out, and then little Sophie happened. And then Andrea was caught in the crapper but, yeah, all they had to do was basically wait out that herd.

Now what happened at the hospital compound was even more claustrophobic, in spades. And in the claustrophobic darkness, automatic weapons spraying all over the place, fences going down...it was survive that maze. Terror was around every corner, down the corridors! Helicopters confused overhead. Personnel running here and there. Hither and thither. That was most awesome to me, just the absolute "madness" of it all as Strand mentioned.

Those guardsmen were just caught by surprise by the sudden sheer numbers. They shot at the head while they could until the walkers got closer than point blank. Then their presumed weekend-warrior psyche probably caused them to forget shooting at the head and just simply fire at anything unfriendly on the other side of the fence.

The soldiers could have fired in controlled bursts or held their fire as long as the gate held up, continuing evac procedures. But it was...madness, so I ain't mad at 'em.

The point of this show for me, unlike for many, is not whether I "care" for Travis, Maddie and Co. or not. It is to follow their discourse, for better or worse.

Regarding the gate, they just didn't give a rat's a** as they left their neighborhood safe zone, for what they had to accomplish and how they felt betrayed. It was every group for itself at that point.

For me, the most poignant moment at any point in The Walking Dead or Fear the Walking Dead was then the doctor turned off her monitor in the ward as the chaos was going on. It struck me as, "civilization now signing off."

I loved this episode very much.

#10 worldlyman, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  11. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling, not everyone makes it to the boat.

12. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what they find on the boat. Was Strand really prepared for the ZA or just things falling apart? big difference, without knowing how the virus worked, could there be infected on the ship? You have to wonder who would stay that loyal to Strand if things went to hell and he wasn't there, why the didn't just leave.

13. Sharpie61

The fact that he was packing clean shirts and not supplies, tells me he's not prepared

14. Elly F.

Elly F. Member

me too! I can't wait to see how it unravels. I would hate to see them take a whole season to actually get to it tho.

Anyways, all in all, I think the season far exceeded my expectations. A lot of it played out as I had imagined it too, the fall of civilization, riots, death, confusion. They jumped us an entire location and gave us tremendous character development. I cannot wait to see this boat, whose on it, and where they go.

15. Driver'sSeat

Driver'sSeat New Member

I thought it would have been cool, and some much-needed comic relief - if the camera would have panned out to the boat and Tobias would have been steering the ship. Don't know how that would have happened, but hey. If Daniel can successfully lead a hungry group of recently turned zombies, Tobias can man the ship.

I also dug Nick's quote. I can't remember exactly but it ended with people are just now catching up to the world he feels he's been living in. I like that they had Travis put his ex out of her misery. He's been so optimistic throughout but he must learn hard choices are to be made now if he wants to keep the remainder of his family alive.

16. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Strand said that he was well supplied ...meaning that provisions are already on the ship.
    Adds to the mystery that Strand may have seen/known this was all coming down ahead of time. As a 'fixer', a 'seller', he may have been privy through connections during the pre-ZA that things were going to go crazy fast.
    He knows more than he's saying, that's for sure.

17. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Blame the sharks for this one.

18. Pogo the Possum

There's only 9 in the main cast ( so far as we now know), so I think all of them eventually make it to the ship. And. we've already lost Griselda and Liza ...one each from the Manawa/Clark and Salazar clans. Three, if we include Matt.

19. Sharpie61

Unless he has a destination in mind, that boat is not stocked enough.

20. Pogo the Possum

I would say YES that Strand has a destination in mind, and that the ship is stocked well enough for that.
    Things could change, though.