Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Show has officially jumped the shark

Discussion in 'Episode 915 - The Calm Before' started by DavidDavidaon, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I know, I know.....it was a humorous opportunity that I could not pass up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I think you're right and that Alpha spared Daryl because he said she was wrong when she said he couldn't protect Lydia. So maybe that part is acceptable. But there's no way Daryl would have (or should have) trusted her to free him and his compadres and just go back with her, his tail between his legs.

3. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I also don't think it's appropriate to create novels out of threads. He lost me half way through his initial post.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

This is what I wrote in the Pikes Line-Up thread:

"I totally understand Alpha not killing Daryl and Co. because she came across two community leaders and the guy who beat Beta. She wants these people to protect Lydia and she also doesn't want to start a war outright, instead Alpha is essentially treating these communities like her daughter's babysitter.

It's actually win-win, she doesn't have to worry about her daughter making her look weak, they'll protect Lydia, and she made a statement with the border that she hopes will scare our crew into leaving the Whisperers alone."

It's another example of could vs should. Alpha can kill Daryl et al., but should she?

Just wanted to expand those points above a bit:

- She already made her point with the borders, so killing them would be needlessly excessive and propel Alpha into a war she seems genuinely interested in not starting for now. She already witnessed how the piked characters put up a fight, possibly resulting in her losing a few whisperers, and thus trying to take down Daryl et al. could be another scuffle she isn't interested in having.

- She wants to intimidate and scare our crew, because I believe she feels threatened by them. Her role as the Alpha is starting to become more unstable/questioned and so it's a win-win. She can cut her losses with Lydia who only serves to jepeordize her authority (her constant want to protect her daughter is making her look weak to the others, especially because she's putting her group at risk over Lydia) and by keeping around Daryl, a Queen, and the Alexandrian community leader she avoids massive conflict and spares the people whom she is deciding to let protect her daughter (i.e. some of the strongest of the community members).

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. NakedCity

Kind of an exhaustive take on what Dnae proposed. And as I said already, I can accept that (and maybe should bring my rating of the episode up to 9!). I still don't get why Daryl wouldn't fight her off the cliff though!

• Like Like x 1
  6. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

I replied to you first before going back and reading the other replies. Yeah, I talk a lot haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

Didn’t she have her sawed off shotgun handy? Though I wonder if she even has shells!

• Like Like x 1
  8. NakedCity

It certainly wasn't a reproach!

Yeah she did, but you gotta take the chance. It's either that and trying to save your friends or taking the chance to get executed with them. To me, it's seems like an obvious choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

Wow, went to bed and came back to some really good discourse.

I can get Daryl not wanting to throw Alpha off the cliff, I may have to watch this part of the episode again. I would say throwing Alpha off the cliff would depend on how much the group knows about the whisperers. It's known (to us) that challenging and beating Alpha makes you Alpha (kind of like with Riddick) however Daryl may not have known that. So that I can accept. However if Daryl returned alone, Beta may have challenged him, or bowed down to him; this we don't know and Daryl probably knew less, though he likely knew some from the eavesdropping on Henry and Lydia.

What we do know is that (amongst others) the whisperers killed a community leader and a prince and at least one member from each of the four communities IIRC. I would say this shows that Alpha is a poor tactician as this will only further solidify the treaty between each (of the four signatory) community(ies) in blood. Any tactician would know that the best tactic is to divide.and conquer, instead she has made the four communities (and one semi-rogue community, which could be turned against the big four. For example; the highways could possibly have been bought with an offer of keeping one of the first as their own base of operations) closer than they've been in years.
    [Edit]
    Alpha sneaked into the kingdom. She spoke to 'Zeke at the very least. I doubt the treaty was being kept a secret as it helped the kingdom greatly, as well as every other community. Alpha would have almost certainly heard of a new mutual protection treaty, making her actions extremely foolish and almost entirely led by emotion; a poor trait in a leader. Negan's sociopathy is what made him a great leader, he knew how to please the right people whilst brutally punishing anyone who threatened his leadership. He never made emotional decisions.
    [/edit]

Negan's plan of public executions of leaders was a better one as it shows strength, killing one leader and the loved ones from each community doesn't demoralize, instead it's kicking a hornet's nest.

@mistertrouble189
    I've been wondering if that sawn off is even loaded too. The whole whisperer thing is deception and disguise. I wouldn't be surprised if it was shown to be empty in a later episode.

As for the "you only say you're not sexist if you are" lol nope. As I said it's a fact. On average men are stronger than women. I believe to prove this a man recently identified as a woman simply to beat the women's deadlifting record and it's a topic of discussion in both mainstream and alternative media.
    As a man however I won't deny that there are probably plenty of well trained, well built women who could knock me on my ass with little effort if they wanted to.
    As for TWD, some of the best characters are/have been women. Carol, Michonne, Tara, Maggie, Jadis (garbage lady), pretty much every Oceanside member and Andrea, to name a few have all been good,.skilled and strong characters and I'm definitely missing a few from the older seasons, as I've only watched each episode once.
    That said, Negan killed the men of Oceanside to cripple them in combat (though this failed and actually made them.stronger, like what alpha is doing now) so I think it can be accepted that the average man is stronger than the average woman, sexual dimorphism is what it is.

To finish I would say that Alpha does seem to be very skilled in combat, so is Daryl. Maybe Daryl has simply changed after the death of Glenn and doesn't want to feel responsible for any more deaths. Had he known what was coming in the field to the north I don't doubt that he would have st least tried to throw Alpha off the cliff.
    It's visible that Alpha is losing control however, very much so. Maybe the producers want to get through the whisperers arc as fast as possible, you can see that she's slipping and is trying to assert dominance by killing people at random when she is upset; a poor leadership strategy; maybe her behaviour would be acceptable if she ran the whisperers like a cult, though it's more like a wolf-pack leadership.

#29 DavidDavidaon, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Ruh roh, at times I write novellas. You are missing some of my best work :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

To be fair, I'll concede that Alpha's border was foolish soley based on Henry alone.

I can excuse Tara because I can genuinely believe Alpha 1) didn't know she was the leader of Hilltop because she probably assumes Daryl is that community's leader and 2) she actually may not have heard about the protection pact.

Unfortunately, she knew full well who Henry was in relation to the Kingdom's leaders (or at least I assume she does) -- so yes, that was actually a poor emotionally based impulse move on her part.

I still think Alpha is a ruthless and effective leader. She's been living this way for years and that takes true leadership skills... It's just her skills are slipping because at the end of the day Lydia really does make her weak.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I re-watched the episode last night and noticed a beat I missed concerning Beta.

When Alpha makes the statement "my daughter isn't a concern anymore" Beta quickly looks in Alpha's direction and it is obvious that he is taken aback by her statement and appears to not be thrilled with this bit of news. Perhaps a clue that at some point even Beta will begin to question Alpha's leadership/authority?

Is Beta's drive to bring Lydia back into the fold solely based on his loyalty to Alpha or is his drive more personal in nature?

I am tempted to pick up the comic books again during season 10 filming but at the same time I am enjoying not having a clue what might happen

#32 Dnae, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Yours are interesting though and you don't do it All THE TIME!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

In regards to the original post, try to keep in mind that this threat is rather new to the characters. they haven't really had time to plan a counter attack with some of the tactics that you mentioned. It's probably only been a matter of days in the timeline. It will be interesting to see the tactics they implement in the future. as far as daryl pushing alpha off the cliff, this would likely anger the remaining whisperers. He would not only put his group of 4 at risk but also all of the communities if beta and the others decided to retaliate with their herd.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

VERY true. I look forward to your novellas.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. PepperAnn

You're so right. Lydia does make her weak. She pretends Lydia is the weak one but NOPE.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. PepperAnn

Oh I picked up on that right away. It felt like he was thinking, "all this shit I have been doing to get Lydia back is for naught????"

#38 PepperAnn, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

naught
    :p

20. PepperAnn

Oh wow. I never knew. LOL