Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Siddiq/Dante

Discussion in 'Episode 1007 - Open Your Eyes' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You dirty dungheap! I had a feeling something was up, but I didn't see the Siddiq murder coming. And apparently he also was messing with the water and lying about Siddiq packing the bag. What do you think? Believable that a former professional would choose whisperer life over the rediscovered civilization?

Will miss ya Siddiq. We all remember that time someone threw a microwave at ya. Did he have a proper death?

2. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think the Dante being a whisperer is pretty weak to be honest.

He is obviously in contact with Alpha on some level, so why use Gamma? Dante also knows Lydia is alive. I suppose he might not know Alpha told the group she killed Lydia or maybe he's so devoted he doesn't care she lied. But still, it's a weak "shock" that felt out of place. Especially with the "double agent has a tell" trope with the mouth clicking.

I didn't see Siddiq's death coming though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I think it was a very believable death. I am part of the camp that does not believe all deaths have to be this huge heroic end. It was a horribly personal and an utterly sad death.

Former professional? I thought he was a medic in the military not actually a doctor from the before world

#3 Dnae, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

But is he? I mean I do wonder if he is STILL in contact with Alpha. And I question that because of what he was saying to Siddiq about it taking a village. Did he possibly begin to believe in the viability of living in a community? Was he living a fantasy, a way of life he was programmed to believe was no longer an option? And then when he realizes that Siddiq remembers what happened, that he knows Dante' was in that barn - his switch flips again and he is back in that whisperer mode.

And I in no way am saying "lets give the guy a chance". Oh hell no, he needs to die a slow and painful death

#4 Dnae, Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Neuropyramidal

I agree with you that the Dante whisperer angle is a hard sell in some ways. It also means that Lydia does not recognize Dante. How would Alpha have been confident of that? Its possible they will explain that in the future. However, I think the shock worked for me, not because it was a shock that he was a spy [yes, that's an extremely weak shock], but rather a shock that he instantly killed Siddiq after being found out.

And I can kind of see why Alpha might want two spies, because she probably hasn't really heard from Dante yet. Or rarely. I kind of doubt he was the one who told her about the boundary crossings, because he wouldn't have had any way to know about some of them, like when Michonne and Aaron crossed over for a couple minutes when they were alone. I think Alpha knew about the border crossings because of spies in the woods.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Neuropyramidal

It also appears that Dante doesn't cover up with crime well, at least as hinted by Daryl smackin him down next episode.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

It would be interesting if Dante is actually trying to live that life like Lydia is, and only killed the captured whisperer and Siddiq because he knows they will out him and he really does want to be one of them. But I think his sabotaging the water shows he is still a whisperer.

8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Great point, Lydia recognized the captured whisperer when she couldn't see his eyes. But she doesn't recognize Dante? Someone with enough pull within the whisperers to be trusted by Alpha to go in and live inside Alexandria.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I'm confused about Dante, and I think to a large extent we are meant to be, and I hope that our questions will be answered in the next episode.

It really seemed like he was genuinely trying to strike up some friendship with Siddiq. Killing him was impulsive, but straitforward: he didn't want his identity blown.
    Killing the prisoner could also be qualified as preemptive.

The unanswered questions are:

1. Did he possibly desert the Whisperers after the barn incident because he was badly triggered himself?

2. If he was sent to Alexandria by Alpha, did he manage to send any intel back? How on earth?

3. Did he mess with the water? Do we know that for sure now it was him? Did I miss something? Could that not have been an accident? How could Dante know about Gamma damming up the creek? Was that planned that far ahead?

4. Most pressing (and at this stage a rather annoying) question: How come Lydia didn't recognise Dante? Surely they will need to give us an answer to that.

I really hope that Dante wasn't just a straightforward spy and there are a lot more interesting layers to it. Otherwise Chr1s is right, and it is lame. If we get some good answers to our questions, this could turn out to be quite brilliant. I hope for the latter.

10. I am Legend

I am Legend Member

I've seen the first minutes of 10x08 on YouTube and all the questions will be answered.

Inviato dal mio Pixel 2 XL utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  11. BlackBird

Great, thanks. If anyone else wants answers quick and doesn't mind watching the opening minutes of the next episode, here it is:

(It might improve your enjoyment of 10x07 if you had misgivings)

It ties everything in a neat ribbon. Except for why on earth anyone would rather choose to live with the Whisperers than the Alexandrians? I need an answer to that too!

#11 BlackBird, Nov 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. I am Legend

I am Legend Member

Yeah, that's nonsense. But if you think about it, Alpha established a cult, that's how you should look at that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlackBird

I guess so. But if he was new, and only spent a few months with them, would he get so indoctrinated that even after living with normal people for a while, accepted and respected in that community, living as normal a life as you can best hope to in the circumstances, you'd rather go back to leave amongst the dead like savages? Hm.... I can't process that. Other than Dante is so mentally unstable that he is actually clinically insane. That's the only one possible explanation.

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It's still problematic for me. It's not just the whole choosing to remain a Whisperer over a member of the new community, but also the ability to fit in after living that lifestyle. You can see how Gamma struggles to connect with others. Dante just steps in as a doctor. It would've been better if he had just held a role as a worker, and sabotaged the water etc. His whole role just doesn't fit for me.

15. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Originally I thought maybe one of Dante's family member is being held hostage by Alpha and he was forced to be a spy. Another possible explanation is that he thought the Whisperers is a much stronger group and will eventually win and he does not want to be on the wrong side at the end. But, of all possibilities, I think the cult explanation might be the best. Once Dante was brainwashed enough by Alpha, he would do anything, especially if he was promised to have a special place within the Whisperers.

16. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I am really tired of The Whisperers, why are they so ****ing "super human"? It is lame. Bunch of idiots walking around in masks, ordered around by a disorganized psycho. Worst twist of the season too. Dante seemed just like one of those between seasons characters but he is literally A WHISPERER SPY. COME THE **** ON!

Also, is he that in the comics?

Also did we see Saddiq dying? Beside that, no more doctors...guess this community is doomed then!

• Like Like x 2
  17. BlackBird

That would have been great and a lot easier to accept. I wish they'd done that.

THIS ARROGANCE annoys me most about the Whisperers. Alpha keeps telling them that these groups who try to live a life resembling the old days are deluded, and their place will fall, "like they always do". But why would Alexandria or Hilltop fail now? After ten plus years? Only because she undermines them and does her hardest to destroy them. Because she's trying to prove the point by doing it all herself. It's just so hideous. She doesn't even appear to want their base, or their stuff particularly, she just wants to destroy them so her world view would stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I am on the fence about this "explanation" given in the opening minutes.

It does play as a bit too convenient. One option would have been to lay a character foundation for Dante' episodes ago. But in doing that then you remove the shock value of revealing him as a whisperer in this episode. The proverbial rock and hard place.

Now here we are the week leading up to the MSF and this is how it will play out whether we get on board with this arc or not. So I find that I am internally talking myself through this.....

Alpha makes it clear that Dante' is new to her cult. Though just how new is unclear. I am going to assume that he had only been with them for a few weeks at most. If this is the case I would think that any person would still harbor a longing for what was once seen as normal. Perhaps Dante' joined Alpha for lack of anything better at the time - he saw her group as his only option. Perhaps he has not reached the point where he truly lives by their mantra, believes in her manifesto yet he is just twisted enough to sign up after his one week free trial membership expires.

The barn massacre was possibly her take on initiation. Trial by fire. That twisted piece of Dante' passes with flying colors.

Dante' is arrogant enough, smart enough to pull off Alpha's plan of infiltration. Lydia will not recognize him. Does not matter if Alpha completely trusts him or not. What does she care? If he is found out and executed, so be it. Just rids her of the trouble of doing it herself. Also, he was not with her long enough to have any real information to offer Alexandria. So planting a newb such as Dante' is a win win for Alpha.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I am Legend

I am Legend Member

The only thing he has in common with the comics it's the name. It's a TOTALLY different character.

20. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the trailer. It cleared up some things for me as to how he came to be "accepted" at Alexandria. Although the premise seems a bit weak, I'm ok with it. There was definitely something odd between Dante and Siddiq, but I thought Dante was gay and trying to make a play for him. I did not see the murder coming, but at least it did show us that Siddiq wasn't the coward he thought he was at the barn.