Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Sigh

Discussion in 'Episode 908 - Evolution' started by Dnae, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My sweetheart. Jesus.

First of all I will say that I knew this was happening. I have gone through frustration, anger, acceptance, complete sadness that honestly I am still feeling.

His character was under utilized and I will never deny that. You guys all know that I am a fan of the show and rarely, RARELY go on a bitch session free for all. And I will not be doing that now. I love the character of Jesus. I adore Tom Payne. I love The Walking Dead and to varying degrees of love all the way to despise I have fan feelings for many other characters.

I will not be spending months upon months, seasons upon seasons bitching about this particular direction the story has taken. I may take this week to lick my wounds and sometimes vent but that is it. After this week I will be finished with any tantrums. I hope that most will be able/willing to do the same. There is still so much story to tell and so much other material for us to delve into, discuss, contemplate, argue about, laugh about, cheer about, speculate, dissect.

While Tom did not ask to be let go he has stated in an interview that he was happy to be leaving due to also feeling like his character was not used to its full extent. He also said that he loved being on the show and was proud to have been a part of it. If Tom can be at peace then I sure as hell can. Such a true brit gent.

• Friendly Friendly x 15
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You will be missed, Jesus ole boy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ubiq

Ubiq Active Member

I remember when he first showed up with his kung fu skills as we thought he was a enemy at the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Yeah I just listened to the very beginning of Talking Dead and it really seemed like Tom was glad to be off the show. In all honesty I can see why they would have chosen to kill the character off as though he is still alive in the comic he really hasn't done much at all since the Savior war. He has pretty much strictly been used as Maggie's advisor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

A sorely underused character by previous direction. Great potential, never realized.

Given only 3 arcs that come to mind. Gregory, Maggie and Morgan. All three now departed. I suppose Kang could have tried something different with the character, but she's spinning so many plates right now, I get why she couldn't.

For what it's worth, I don't believe we've seen the last of Jesus. He may appear in the flashbacks of the 6-year gap.

Curious. With the departure of Lincoln, Cohen and now Payne, it appears WD has something of a mini Brexit happening.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I agree his character was painfully under used. So much promise yet always a background character.

I was hoping to see more of him, but that was an amazing exit.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ubiq

Ubiq Active Member

8. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't know, and I was SHOCKED. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Seventh_son

My heart breaks for your loss @Dnae. We all know he was your favorite. He was a hero to the end, and went out kickin' ass. Small comfort, but a great way to remember him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Who will do the coup de gras?

11. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

I believe this was an unnecessary death.

Losing Jesus is essentially a result of the failures of the previous leadership of the show.

I understand Tom's frustration given the amount of work he put into an iconic character from the comic, only to be severely underutilized on the show.

It's diasapointing that more couldn't have been done to keep Tom on the show and really honor his character, but I guess season 9 was too little too late. What's done is done and it's just a shame we had to lose such a great character and actor.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

My feelings are the same as others. I thought he was underutilized , thought with other main characters gone he would be given a bigger part and shocked they decided to kill him off. I did read the spoilers and was hoping they were mistaken but since the actor was unhappy, I guess it's for the best.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Jesus did not go out in style. In a sense, a master fighter ''caught off guard''. He surely did not expect the walker whisperer to make a ducking move. Or, maybe, he (and the rest) would be a little bit more careful when Eugene warned them that these walkers are not 'normal'.

14. tink

tink Well-Known Member

This was really, really POINTLESS. Finally Jesus was in a position not to be a background character and to really shine, and they KILL HIM?

I am SO annoyed. This seems like a Gimple move to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy

Andy Member

I think it's a load of crap that Sexy Jesus was killed off. He was more than just a piece of eye candy. I had such high hopes for him when he was first introduced. It's extremely rare that we get to see a gay TV character who is a badass. VERY RARE. When I read his character description from the comics, I was so excited and I thought if we could get even half of that translated to the show, I'll be thrilled. We got nowhere near half.

I am not normally a patient person but I was patient here. I kept thinking that eventually he'll get something to do after time has passed. But episode after episode last year, I kept texting my best friend during the show always asking, "Where the hell is he???" It was such a massive disappointment. I didn't expect the screen time of Rick or Darrel or Michonne but I expected more than bread crumbs.

The writers and show runners should be ashamed of themselves. From the sound of things, Tom Payne actually asked them to kill Jesus off because he was so frustrated the last two years that he got to do nothing that the character did in the comics. When an actor is literally asking you to kill off his character, YOU HAVE FAILED.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Still sad
    [​IMG]

#16 Dnae, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Why was Jesus’ sexual orientation never confirmed one way or the other?
    I mean, it was abundantly clear he and Aaron were getting quite friendly at the time of the 18month time skip, and even more so now( which I was hoping would lead to a comic eventuality). That’s probably one of my biggest peeves. Aside from that I’m oretty ticked that not only do we FINALLY get to see the level of fighting skill he was supposed to have had since day one; but we get one fleeting glimpse at the sort of “reinvented” samurai-Jesus we got after the “not quite two year” time skip in the comics and he gets the axe.( Although, that scene, the moment when Jesus arrogantly and laxidasically struts toward the gate after thoroughly showing off only to have a walker, something he’s always known to be witless and oafish, deftly ducks his sword stroke and reverses it into a mortal impaling was pretty badass and satisfying.)

18. Seventh_son

This WAS a "Gimple move", as you put it. Payne wanted out because of his character's past neglect. Pretty sure this decision was made before the new season started. Also, Angela Kang literally didn't have time to do anything substantial with Jesus considering what she had to contend with in her first 8.

#18 Seventh_son, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

But it was confirmed in season 7 episode 14. It is the episode where he and Maggie are sitting on the steps of a trailer (while other Hilltop residents are training) and he is telling Maggie about his inabilty to form close relationships with others ".....neighbors, friends, (pause) boyfriends"

And yep, the watering down of his character in the tv series is definitely a big ol pet peeve of mine

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I am heartbroken. As much as i think the first half of Season 9 kicked ass and that last nights' mid season finale was fantastic, it was overshadowed by losing Jesus. So under-utilized and with Rick's exit i believe there was SO much they could have done with him.

My heart is breaking along side yours @Dnae. :(

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1