Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

So, Is Eugene breaking bad?

Discussion in 'Episode 711 - Hostiles and Calamities' started by Neuropyramidal, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Or is it all an act to stay alive and try to help Team Rick in the end?

2. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Eugene is a good liar and will do whatever it takes to survive. My guess is that he would jump back on team ASZ in a heartbeat

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

It's all an act.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

No way is Eugene switching sides that easy. It snapped in his head that he needs to pretend to join them in order to survive. He went from pissing his pants to bossing around Saviors. I knew his intellect would come into play so he could get some sort of advantage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. OaklandBorn

OaklandBorn Member

I think it's both at first he was just trying to stay alive and prove his worth but now he's gonna play them and try and give rick and the group a advantage somehow by maybe sabotaging the saviors weapons or making dummy rounds for them

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Aw man wouldn't that be something if he could sabotage their weapons or ammo? That would most certainly help Rick's group in those inevitable gun fights.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

I think Eugene knew he could use his lying to help him survive. He's smart, and he knows what he needs to do in order to get through life at The Sanctuary. Plus, seeing that doctor getting brutally killed probably sealed the deal. I don't believe he'd turn on Rick's group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Like the others, I think he's playing along to survive just like he did with Abraham and how long did he keep that up? His quick mind and ability to submerge himself into these fanciful narratives he concocts is how he stays alive. And the genius of it is is that he comes across as being completely believable because he really does know a lot about science and technology....more so than most, so he can be spouting shit but no one knows the difference.

I also think he won't turn on Rick but he's going to have to be cautious and calculating. He knows what Negan is capable of. In the meantime he's enjoying the benefits of his new position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, Eugene has consistently lied to keep himself safe and healthy. Nothing new here. This is consistent with his character. Just because he was beginning to be more honest while he was in a safe place, well that doesn't mean that he has to remain honest while he is in a hostile environment.
    More power to a man who can lie sucesfully during a time of duress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I also think he's genuinely enjoying his newfound status of respect and power. He gained a level of respect at ASZ but now he actually has power to go along with it. He's a man of some status here.

At the same time, I think his long game will end up being to betray Negan and help Rick win the war. Although along the way, he may lose himself for a bit.

To be honest, I actually feel like Eugene is horrible at lying lol. Its just that when he tells his lies, all the characters around him turn into gullible idiots. He started out by proving his intelligence by saying he 'reads a lot', and as soon as he saw the doubt in Negan's eyes, he hastily changed his story to having 2 Ph.Ds. Negan should have seen through that obvious lie.

But Negan is showing us that he is pretty dimwitted when it comes to picking up what's going on around him. He's a man who believes what he wants to believe, not what is most logical based on evidence. He didn't put together that Dwight framed Emmitt to protect Sherry [which he should have been highly suspicious of] because he simply needed Dwight by his side, and wanted to believe he was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

It is clearly just Euge playing to his strengths. I noticed his confidence skyrocketed the moment he swung back to the lies he had become intimate with. He knows this story like the back of his hand, and these folks are new to this game. I've always said that Eugene may have lied about his credentials, but he is probably the smartest man left alive. Negan made the error here, by thrusting power and authority upon him, as he handed him the keys to his own freedom...

Funny, he just killed his own doctor for that very thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I agree he's getting into it some. Look how he handled the pharmaceutical distributor, lol.

As for the lying, I think what makes Eugene so great is that basically he has very little facial affect. He talks the same way...quickly with little emotion no matter the circumstances. Even when he's afraid, he tends to answer right away, directly and literally. He never comes off as being a smart alec but rather as a "nerd". No tells that usually give liars away but he knows when he's losing the crowd and adjusts accordingly.

Yeah, Negan believes what Eugene says because he thinks the guy is too terrified to lie to him, and Eugene delivers the goods.

With the Sherry, Dwight, Daryl sitch, again, Negan believes what he wants to, but what helps feed the illusion is Dwight refuses to show any emotion in front of him no matter what. He thinks he has Dwight broken so he wouldn't dare lie.

You'd think he'd be more logical but apparently he's in his own bubble.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I thought from the topic heading that Eugene would soon be cooking some crystal meth with all that stuff he strongarmed from the woman.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

I just love how these non fighter characters, Gabriel and Eugene, are becoming key members to the group.

I really enjoyed Eugene making the best of a bad situation. a good contrast to Daryls time there. and he played it smart and went with the long game. not giving the wives the poison was smart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with all the comments above. Eugene is doing what he needs to do to survive.

16. calliope

calliope Active Member

I also think that he was deeply effected by Abe's death. In spite of their ups and downs, they were very close. I think Eugene will see playing Negan in this long game will honor Abe's memory and his death, in much the same way as Daryl felt his stand was what he needed to do to honor Glenn.

I think that the fact that he pulled out the old resume reinforces that to me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

He's lying, no doubt. I believe any doubt was removed when he resurrected his "human genome project" story - the same story he used on Abe early on, and perpetuated to the group. He's very comfortable with that 'alternative reality' and combined with his great intellect can play it up with Negan to his advantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Its comic Eugene storyline with a twist. The tv version will adjust whilst the other did not

19. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I like this idea of honoring abe a lot. it flows naturally from the conversations abe and eugene had been having about whether eugene had at last adapted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steppin' Razor

How is this even a question? Seems pretty obvious he's just trying to survive at this point... I mean, he was introduced to us as a damn LIAR and that's how he's survived, sooooo......

• Like Like x 1