Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

So let me get this straight....

Discussion in 'Episode 207 - Shiva' started by Zombiekaaner, May 23, 2016.

1. Zombiekaaner

Zombiekaaner Member

Travis is a teacher in the Los Angeles public school system, and he was married to - and divorced from - a Latina (Liza Ortiz). He therefore has a half Latino son, and presumably a large set of Latin inlaws. He lives in Los Angeles.

YET - He doesn't speak ANY Spanish???? Not even aqua / water or son / hijo. Not even to say "No hablo espanol?"

I couldn't imagine. My Spanish sucks, but I don't think I could live in Houston without knowing at least some....

2. JFAN

JFAN Member

I thought that was very strange too and very unbelievable. Bad job by the writers.

3. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Considering some of the lowest points of this show, this little blip is obvious, but not on the radar compared to others.

They are all over the place with the writing and missing loads of captain obvious points in numerous scenes.

4. DeadRun

DeadRun Member

He's a kiwi. you're lucky he speaks English lol

5. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

That's a good one.

He did make a nice tackle, wrapping his arms and all.

#5 Lummsy200, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  6. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

The man ran through the apocalypse without any zapatos. The whole story line is lame he should have known a few Spanish words. I think the writers are grasping for any drama they can find.

7. Lupey

Lupey Member

Those must have been some magical sneakers that guy gave him. Could barely walk to full sprint after Chris.

8. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I found this kind of hard to believe too. I think they just wrote the plot line and didn't really consider the over arching implications of it. I find it really hard to believe that he wouldn't know at least a few basic Spanish words like water, child/son, and so on.

I also really don't get why he was running around without shoes in the first place.

9. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

I'm sure Donald Trump doesn't speak Slovenian just because his wife is from there. Lots of people with foreign spouses don't speak their spouse's native language. If Liz was off the boat (but I doubt it because she didn't seem to have an accdent), then I reckon it would be more important for Travis to teach her English than the other way around. They were living in LA after all.
    That being said, Spanish is extremely common now and most people know the basic phrases like "como estas" and "agua" and "nino" and so on. So yeah, that was a tad unbelievable but totally understandable that he doesn't speak fluent spanish as well.
    What's REALLY unbelievable though is Daniel going crazy out of the blue....Nick wanting to roam around huge farm with a burnt down house and walkers everywhere....The bratty kid Chris becoming full on serial killer with no real reasons to justify it....Madison just letting her kid go like that. I think in real life the parent would probably bop the kid on the head and put his unconscious ass in the car instead of letting him roam around like an idiot. Many things don't make sense about this show but to me its still better than no walking dead at all.

10. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I thought the same thing about Travis not knowing any Spanish, but was that to indicate that he was almost instantly aware that his son was there or that something was wrong? And continuing to speak English was his way of stalling?

11. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

No, he hadn't yet seen the shadow of movement behind the door.

Also, even if he didn't know a few words of Spanish, which he must, he could have pointed to the photo of the man's son and then waved his hands and tapped his chest indicating the same relationship as he spoke English.

I've carried on fairly involved conversations with me entirely in English and someone else entirely in Spanish with both of us using gestures. Works fine if you both understand a bit of the other language, even if neither of you are at all fluent in the other. There is enough of the Romance Languages left in English to make it work. So, I can see his sticking with English, even though gestures would have made communication more realistic.

12. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

No, I don't think Travis was aware that Chris was there from the start. It was the guy's response of "no ingles" while a book in english was in plain sight that made Travis suspect the guy was lying, or at least hiding something. Then Travis saw shadow movement under the door and the guy revealed he was in there threatening his own son.

13. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

You could also add that the neighborhood he lived in was 80% Latino.

14. mikepf

mikepf New Member

This is one of the few things about Travis that I can relate to. I live in northern Ca, and wife of 26 years is from the Philippines. I can't speak much of her language. I do understand more than I can speak. I've tried to learn, but my wife can't help cracking up with laughter when I try to pronounce things. It's hard to learn when the person "trying" to teach you is rolling on the floor in hysterical laughing fits every time I opened my mouth.