Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

So what do you guys think of the news that came out today?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by lastcat3, Nov 5, 2018.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of all this news coming out today about Walking Dead movies coming out and how Rick Grimes isn't really leaving at all. He is only leaving the show in order to star in a series of movies.

To be honest the whole thing just seems extremely ridiculous. I think it is time AMC starts trying to focus more on creating original content and stop trying to squeeze out any amount of life left in the Walking Dead universe. Let TWD go out on a semi respectable note. Basically all they are doing is destroying any good will that is left in TWD.

TWD wasn't Marvel or Star Wars at the height of its popularity and it definitely isn't now.

2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I think Gimple needs a good, hard kick to the nuts.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Idk. I was annoyed by it at first to be honest. They dropped this news the very next day after we are all still accepting that as Rick's supposed last episode. smh. Was all the hype of Rick's leaving part of a marketing scheme to ensure more viewers for their TV movies? TV movies away from the rest of the cast? The timing of it seems shady. It kind of looks like all of this planned over a year ago, including Andrew's leaving the show. They just needed to work out how and when they would do it. It just looks that way.

4. lastcat3

Yep. Based on the things Lincoln said during Talking Dead I have a feeling he has been wanting to leave for awhile and they were just trying to set up the right scenario for him to leave the show. I think all this was being planned out before Carl got killed off. Infact I now think Carl was killed because of all this stuff that was going on behind the scenes in trying to plan out Rick's departure.

Not sure what they hope to gain from all this. I don't think marvelizing the TWD universe is the answer to bring back viewers. Infact I think it is just going to make people even more burned out than they were before.

@Neuropyramidal I'd like to hear what your take on this new development is. What do you think of them now trying to turn TWD into basically a cinematic universe?

5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I’m still floored Maggie gets no send off. :mad: That’s such a slap in the face.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. PepperAnn

THIS. I totally got that vibe that killing off Carl was because Lincoln was eventually going and they wanted to pave a Judith path.

They couldn’t do this at a worse time. Their momentum was SO GOOD the first episodes. And I’m really just talking about the damn copter.

7. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, these are supposed to be TV movies.

We all love Andrew Lincoln and the character of Rick Grimes, but Gimple's ego has gone out of control. He's seen the phenomenal success of Marvel's Film Universe and he believes he can do a TV version of that with TWD and its spinoffs.

Someone should've told Gimple that FTWD just had its lowest rated season, and 40% of TWD fans admitted in a recent poll that they were quitting TWD after Rick's death. Maybe someone did, because Rick was saved and placed on a helicopter at the last minute. :rolleyes:

#7 Rapscallion, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I think it's really stupid and I know for sure I'm not watching the movies. Not out of spite, just because I genuinely don't want them. Rick should be dead, and the helicopter and 'A' are some of the worst things about the show. Why would I want to watch that?

I also think it's too late to be shifting into a cinematic universe approach. We're 9 seasons in to the show, the peak popularity is long over. If they wanted to do things like movies, specials and more companion series, wouldn't the time be like... 5 years ago, when FTWD was starting up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

It sucks when actors choose to leave the show,(not mad at Andy for choosing to be with his family) but it makes it worse when they have to force a way for them to die or have an open ended story. I just wish they didn't do the hallucination stuff. The dead bodies from the comic cover was cool to see tho.

#9 Gaycandybacon, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rapscallion

It was revenge for the negative publicity over Lauren Cohan's contract dispute.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I assumed Maggie's send off is this week? I figured they'd do a flashback or something.

12. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I think it's a weird idea and that it smells too much like Gimple to really work, but I'll be watching for sure. Approaching a whole new situation featuring a character I've know for a decade is novelty enough to get me interested. I have very little hope for it to be worth anything (pretty much expect for the worse, Gimple is an ass), but I'll be watching. Maybe Gimple will be clever enough to bring in some respectable people to write and direct.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I will watch. One, I love the character of Rick. Two, I love Andy Lincoln, I admire his work and he has earned my loyalty. Three, I do not have the seething disdain for Gimple that some of you have. Sure, I question some of the decisions he has made, some of them have left me bewildered and befuddled - but I will not let that prevent me from supporting the work of someone as wonderful as Andy. Plus I really want to see what this story will be about. So yep, I am okay with it. I will watch it. And I am fairly certain that I will be entertained.

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Gimple needs a plaque on the wall that says: "The show loses itself, and I lose people."

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. PepperAnn

Nope. Her last episode was Sunday.

16. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Just seeing him trying to force-feed his concept on TTD couch makes me semi-nauseous. He really doesn't seem at ease in his own body and just looking at him trying to look calm and cool makes me highly uncomfortable. But hey, I'll watch with you anyway.

I hope it's not a common zombie movie. And I hope it doesn't verse in too much sci-fi either. I would really like a conspiracy movie, something with the tone of The Parallax View, or even better Westworld or The Clonus Horror, with Rick trying to prevent total annihilation of his people from far away, fighting against a corporative force. That would explain why he's not coming back, and would make for an easy shift in tone and story, in an environment (the IK most probably) where zombies are dealt with and where that corporative force is rebuilding.

17. PepperAnn

Watching his head bob around every time he talks make me semi-nauseous. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. lastcat3

I still think you guys need to put more blame on AMC than Gimple. For seasons 4,5, and arguably 6 Gimple was actually doing a very good job. I honestly think anybody would have had trouble turning the Savior arc into entertaining tv when the channel they were making the show for was requiring 16 episode seasons. The Savior storyline wasn't nearly deep enough to warrant that many episodes dedicated to it. I think you will find Kang struggling too when AMC requires the Whisperers to last until the end of season 10.

19. Rapscallion

@lastcat3. No doubt AMC deserves blame for TWD's dwindling quality from S6 onward:

• Mandating 16 episodes a season.
    • Not increasing the show's budget
    • Lowering the violence to placate parental groups
    • Firing Chandler Riggs because he just turned eighteen-years-old
    • Hyping Rick's death, only to reveal he's still alive
    • The contract dispute with Lauren Cohan

But Gimple has earned his share of blame:

• Stupidity driving the plot forward
    • The "Art House" moments: the camera tricks, the close ups, the black & white scenes, and the flashbacks.
    • The odd dialogue
    • The bottle episodes
    • The Hospital Arc
    • Dumpstergate
    • The Lucille cliffhanger
    • EMO Daryl and making Daryl an idiot
    • Teasing the fans with Caryl
    • His fanboy attitude towards Negan
    • Morgan flip-flopping from a ninja to a pacifist
    • Jadis and the Scavengers
    • Negan goes from a warlord in S7, to a reasonable warrior king in S8.
    • All Out War was All Out Bore
    • Rick constant promises to kill Negan
    • Bringing Morales back...and killing him five minutes later
    • Carl's sudden turn from a fighter to a pacifist
    • Jesus' sudden turn from ninja to saving the Saviors
    • Simon being the real villain of All Out War

#19 Rapscallion, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Creepy Crawlies

As long as it wraps up with Rick returning to the show and reuniting with his family then I don't mind.