Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

No, I used to smoke but I quit years ago. Because I wanted to though, not because of all that other stuff. I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

2. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

A heart attack is a great incentive to quit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

No it isn't. If it was, you would only need to tell people that once, and they would stop. Something that might possibly happen in the distant future is no incentive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

My father smoked since he was 12. Sometimes up to 3 packs a day.
    He died at the age of 83, of alzhimers. We were told his heart was quite strong for someone his age. And his lungs were good, considering he smoked.

Now, my brother, who does not smoke, had 4 by-pass', due to a bad heart.
    I am not advocating for smokers, it's just the propaganda that the non smokers puts out is mostly BS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

damn. I wish I could do that.

6. PepperAnn

Yeah I agree with this too. I think nothing can happen to me. I have been smoking since I was 13 and I am now 44. Thinking what MIGHT happen....you're right. But I swear it's going to take something like that actually happening to actually make me quit. :eek:

7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I understand that mindset because i've seen it happen to my loved ones, but man it frustrates me so badly lol. My grandmother lived with my parents for her last few years of life while she suffered from emphysema and COPD...she couldn't breath on her own for several years before that and had to use an oxygen machine. My Dad witnessed all of this, and yet...puff puff puff. Also, my Uncle who is only a couple of years older than my Dad had a heart attack last year and immediately quit smoking and started a healthy diet. I guess now my Dad is just waiting for it to happen to him before he makes any changes.

Sorry i try not to let my disdain for smoking show too much, i don't want to offend smokers and i hear all the time how "i don't understand because you're not a smoker" but i just hate what it does to people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. PepperAnn

Oh I agree. It's ridiculous how we all know exactly what we are facing, yet still long for that next cigarette. One of my worst fears is suffocation. Go figure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

mini cigars aren't inhaled into the lungs, with most nicotine absorption through the lining of the cheeks, tongue, etc., which would hopefully decrease your chance of lung cancer, yet still give that oh-so-satisfying smoke.

Now and again they come on sale for $7-8 for a tin of 20, and are sealed so they store well until opened. Not that I'd know myself, mind you, but hypothetically. The red ones are "flavored" with something -according to the description.

https://www.cigar.com/p/romeo-y-julieta-miniatures-cigars/1411951/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1667943/?page=1

10. Morgotha

I agree, people can rationalize anything. I mean anything.

11. PepperAnn

Blegh. <--- said the cigarette smoker. :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Morgotha

If you ever do try one, your next cigarette will taste like someone already smoked it and gave you a paper tube full of ashes. Tasteless and terrible.

DOUBLE blech!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I used e-cigs to quit. Started with the full nicotine, then gradually lessened that until it was just vapor (no nicotine), then I could just give them up. Plus with e-cigs, you could just smoke as little or much as you wanted, where with cigs once you light them you feel like you have to smoke the whole thing. I was able to quit cigs then e-cigs within 2 months. Never looked back.

For me I think it was more the rituals of smoking than the actual smoking that was the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Morgotha

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Please provide evidence of a link between being a sanctuary state and a rise in crime. I don't see anything in the article to indicate that is the case, so you obviously have insider knowledge. In fact, the article says that not even all cities that fit the population requirements were counted, only those that reported data for all six years that were reviewed, so it could very well be that the reason California places so highly is better reporting?

And how do you explain the rise in crime in those places that are not sanctuary cities or states? Utah, Alaska, New Mexico, Washington, Texas and Colorado are all in the top 10 along with California. Washington state has 2 cities in the top 10.

16. Morgotha

It's my hypothesis of the moment. One hears on the news that California wants to become a "sanctuary State", and the next moment the crime report comes out with California becoming progressively more dangerous to live in. Could be unrelated, might not be.

They looked at the top 35 cities in the U.S. that had increasing crime rates over a 5 year period and about 50% of them are in California. California only has about 10% of the country's population, so I'd expect them to be much less represented on the FBI's criminality stats than they are. That's not saying I'm able to explain what the FBI isn't, but it is noteworthy, don't you think?

BTW, every single illegal alien is a criminal by definition. Assuming the "crime rate" overall stays the same, if you add in their *unreported* crime of being in the country illegally to these lists, the "crime rate" of states with high populations of illegal aliens would be much, much higher. For example, California says there are ~3 million illegal aliens in the State. Add "3 million" on to their crime statistic and see where that places them on any list.

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=818[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

17. tink

tink Well-Known Member

So in other words you made it up, and it has no basis in reality or fact.

18. Morgotha

No, the study is taken straight from FBI crime statistics. Almost half of the top 35 cities increasing in crime are in California. That's a fact.

19. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I think what @tink means is that you don't have proof that the high crime rate is due to the state having sanctuary cities. Which is what you alluded to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

California is not, at present, a "Sanctuary State".

Apparently, that may change: In a Trump-defying move, California's Senate passes sanctuary state bill
    Personally, I would prefer the exceptions expanded to include anyone convicted of anything, felony or misdemeanor.