Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

So here's guy who is an obvious long term threat. Thankfully, he was in Alabama and was given a 1 million dollar bail so he'll STAY in jail. If he was in a left-wing place he'd be out of jail already and trying to rape someone else.

"An Alabama man accused of attempting to rape a woman in her home was being held on $1 million bond after he was taken into custody and investigators said they discovered 400 pairs of women’s panties in his possession."
    ""If we can keep him in jail,’' Owens said, "the public will definitely be better for it.""

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alabama-man-attempted-rape-womens-underwear

2. Morgotha

So some pedophile over in England molested some boy, and the boy's mother killed him and was sentenced to 3.5 years in prison for it. Their appellate court said the sentence was *too lenient* and lengthened it by **four years**! WHY would they do that? This man had TWENTY FOUR convictions for sex offenses and he was still on the streets molesting young boys! The State won't lock up the man who is committing crimes, but will punish the woman who stopped him? Keep out of England.

"
    A UK woman who was convicted of fatally stabbing her neighbor after learning he was a pedophile has reportedly revealed that her son was one of the sicko’s victims.

Single mother of five Sarah Sands, 38, killed 77-year-old Michael Pleasted in his east London apartment weeks after discovering he had abused young boys.

In 2015, she was found guilty of manslaughter by reason of loss of control and sentenced to three and a half years behind bars — but the "unduly lenient" prison term was extended to seven and a half years by an appellate court.

During her trial, it emerged that Pleasted had 24 convictions for sex offenses dating back over three decades.

"I did what any mother would do because he did this to my son Bradley, my little boy,""

https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-mom-killed-pedophile-neighbor-son

3. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

3.5 years? Damn metric system. How is that in normal time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Morgotha

Well, if they tax it by the litre it's probably about 8 years. Of course, they do drive on the wrong side of the road, so you probably have to divide it by two. So... 4 years, American?

5. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I believe the premise is that people who commit crimes are released anyways if they can raise the bail. There are those who can raise the money, even large amounts. The people who can’t afford their bail sit in jail. Now, for some offenses they don’t. They still have to go to trial however.

Violent crimes are exempt and bail can be set. I believe that includes all sexual crimes. Remember, someone out on bail can also commit more offenses.

It’s new so we have to see how it works out. Here’s an interesting analysis as it pertains to NY.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2020...t-help-you-understand-whats-a-real-issue.html

6. DeadZedHead

Sounds about right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Morgotha

Sounds pretty bad to me. If someone gets drunk gets in their car and kills someone they get released without bail. They do the same thing the day they are released and kill someone else, they get released again, and a third time, and a fourth. What's the point of NOT keeping them in jail?

Sure, bail might not deter someone who's very rich from committing more crimes, but what percentage of crimes are committed by the very rich? From a practical perspective bail can be used to keep most dangerous criminals off the street until their trials. That seems like a good thing to me.

8. Morgotha

Something sad. Simone Biles had to drop out of an olympic event after having missed a step and possibly injuring herself. I can't say I'm that surprised, though. I saw bad things ahead for her when she started sewing that "GOAT" emblem on her outfits. Being a professional means being confident in yourself, but always striving to do better. If you start believing you ARE the best, you aren't going to train as hard.

I guess that's the same for our women's soccer and men's basketball teams. They are focused on politics and causes more so than training with predictable results.

I do hope Biles can re-center herself. It would be a true shame to have such an athlete end their career in this fashion.

"Simone Biles pulled out of the entire team finals at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday after slipping during her vault attempt.

The superstar American gymnast appeared to slip and nearly landed on her knees trying to land her planned Amanar vault. She finished with a 13.766 score and was seen talking with trainers after the attempt.

The Olympics broadcast said Biles has pulled out of the rest of the team finals.

Jordan Chiles was set to perform for Biles on the uneven bars. Biles’ foot was seen "strapped heavily." The broadcast showed the superstar gymnast in her warm-up gear.

According to multiple reports, Biles was talking with trainers before deciding to pull out. It’s unclear if she was injured in the vault attempt. It’s unclear whether she will compete in the rest of the Games.

The Olympics broadcast said it was not injury related, but instead a "mental health issue.""

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/simone-biles-out-tokyo-olympics-gymnastics-team-final

9. Morgotha

Former Sen. Barbara Boxer was mugged in S.F. and had her cell phone stolen. She reported it to the police and a reward is being offered for the "criminal". I don't know why, though. She has plenty of money and whoever took the phone from her obviously needed it more than she did. Why report it to the police and try and take the man's phone from him? Crazy Democrats.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/barbara-boxer-attacked-robbed-california-twitter

#6309 Morgotha, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  10. Morgotha

Here's a good Olympics story. Lydia Jacoby is a high school student and swimmer from a small town in Alaska of less than 3000 people. She worked hard and somehow made it on to the Olympic team and now has taken the gold medal in the 100 meter breaststroke. I like her message, too. "You can do it, no matter where you're from". THAT is Olympic spirit! Good job!

[​IMG]

"A lot of big-name swimmers come from big, powerhouse clubs,'' Jacoby said, according to ESPN. "Me coming from a small club, in a state with such a small population, really shows everyone that you can do it no matter where you're from.''

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski also tweeted her congratulations following the monumental feat. "This high school student from Seward, Alaska makes the whole nation proud," she wrote.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jacoby-shocks-with-olympic-swim-gold

11. Morgotha

12. DeadZedHead

https://apple.news/A2-7wVdshTTKVZEwKYte4UQ
    Lindsey Graham claims SC crime rates are so low is because his constituents will shoot you. Predictably he was fact checked.

Michael Steele
    @MichaelSteele
    ·
    13h
    Umm Senator perhaps you should speak with your State Law Enforcement Division before jawboning about South Carolina shooting people as a deterrence to violent crime: The murder rate went up around 25% in 2020; aggravated assault went up around 9% in 2020. https://foxcarolina.com/news/sled-v...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

“Over the past five years, murders in South Carolina were up by 51 percent, the South Carolina’s State Law Enforcement Division said last month.
    Graham also attacked California in his Fox News interview, even though CDC statistics showed that South Carolina had more than double the homicide rate and nearly three times the firearm injury death rate per 100,000 people. According to FBI data compiled by US News, South Carolina even had some of the highest rates in the nation of property crime and violent crime.”

This is the same guy who said he needed a second Ar 15 so he could shoot his own constituents in an emergency.

13. Morgotha

Maybe he meant crimes affecting Republicans were low?

It is shocking, though. South Carolina had 571 murders? That's like Chicago! Overall, though, although crime in SC is up over the past year, big picture it appears to be down from where it used to be in the 90's for some things. Aggravated assault was 28-29 thousand, now it's 21 thousand, sexual battery was 25-29 hundred, now it's 21, etc. Murder, though, is definitely increased.

https://www.sled.sc.gov/forms/statistics/2019 Crime in South Carolina.pdf

14. purriwinkle

First off, vehicular homicide can be tricky and is prosecuted differently state by state. It doesn’t seem like the penalties are all that severe to begin with, as in some areas it is considered a misdemeanor.

From the cited article:
    The potential penalties for a driving-related homicide conviction vary by jurisdiction. In many states, vehicular homicide and other driving-related homicides are always felonies. In other states, the crime can be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the circumstances. Generally, negligent driving that causes death results in a misdemeanor, whereas fatalities resulting from driving recklessly or intoxicated are ordinarily felonies. Misdemeanor convictions typically carry a maximum sentence of one year in jail and felonies result in a sentence of one year or more in prison.

Other consequences of a vehicular homicide conviction can include fines, restitution (if medical expenses were incurred by the family of the deceased), probation or parole, driver's license suspension or revocation, and community service.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/vehicular-manslaughter-driving-related-homicides.html

You don’t have to be very rich to post bail. I think we discussed this once before in one of the threads. Then, if you happen to be a Cause Celebre, others may pay the money as in the 2 million dollar bail set for Kyle Rittenhouse. However, if you’re considered “poor” and can’t raise bail for non violent offenses you sit in jail which can have unintended consequences for innocent family members such as minor children. Yes, yes the perp should have thought about that but obviously they weren’t thinking to have committed the offense in the first place.

15. Morgotha

And my point would be? Getting poor criminals off the street is better than getting NO criminals off the street. As far as vehicular homicide goes, if someone kills your family member with a gun or a car what difference does it make? Are you really going to say, "well, it was just a drunk running him over, it's not like someone shot him, so that's not so bad..."? I think not.

16. Morgotha

17. purriwinkle

Of course there is no difference for the families however sometimes what you feel and what the law will prosecute are two very different things. Victim impact statements made by the family members of the deceased may have some impact on what penalty the judge will impose.

18. purriwinkle

Yeah on the tax payers dime. Remember we’re talking about non violent arrests. (Almost forgot the first part of your post, lol)

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/blog/2017/02/07/pretrial_cost/

19. Morgotha

They *will* get released without bail if THIS arrest was non-violent, regardless of their past criminal history, though. For example, say a murderer/burglar whose MO was breaking in to someone's house, strangling the occupants, then taking their stuff gets released from jail after serving his term for his second offense with the same MO.

The day after his release they catch him breaking in to someone's house where the homeowner was home sleeping. Now this man wasn't using a weapon in his burglary, and just because the last 2 times he was arrested it was after he had killed the homeowners of the houses he burgled, the courts will *let him go without bail* on his new arrest!

Nope. That's not the society I want. I want the courts to have the ability to say, "this guy is bad news, and it's only by an act of God there isn't another dead body this morning. Lock this guy up now for the good of society, give him such a high bail he won't be able to get out".

20. purriwinkle

in your example, “strangling the victims” is a violent crime for which he would be held, hopefully convicted and sentenced to a very lengthy term in state penitentiary most likely life. Your scenario would never occur…..in any state…bail reform or no.