Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Told ya the others could get the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I guess it's the way it was written. The line was, "The prisons are too crowded but I think we can find room for some police attacking Jan. 6th Capitol Hill Insurrectionists."

it read to me as "The prisons are too crowded but I think we can find room for some police (who were) attacking Jan. 6th Capitol Hill Insurrectionists." Which also seems to go along with the current anti-police movement in the country that the left is promoting.

but I see what you meant was "police-attacking" as a compound adjective. IOW the Insurrections were "police-attacking" insurrectionists. Looked at a second time, that makes sense.

I wouldn't say I'm being flippant on crime at all. You have one group of people videoed attacking police, toppling statues, burning public and private property, spray painting, etc. and do nothing but then start throwing people on the other side of the political spectrum in jail for a mostly peaceful protest? That doesn't sound fair, does it?

3. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

4. Morgotha

Yeah, I believe her replacement came in 7th though, so we did lose a medal. I give Ms. Carey a LOT of credit for doing what Biles was unable or unwilling to do, though. That must have been a lot of pressure, taking the place of someone who was widely considered the greatest gymnast.

5. Morgotha

How many times in Olympic history have gymnasts backed out during the middle of an Olympic competition? It can't be very often or it wouldn't be so surprising to everyone.

Meh. I'm still upset at her. As an Olympic athlete you have to show up and perform for one day every four years. I don't think it's too much to ask them to do so.

6. purriwinkle

Mostly peaceful protest? I don’t think so. The insurrectionists been arrested for crimes ranging from assaulting officers, destruction of government property all the way to seditious conspiracy.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/capitol-riot-arrests-latest-2021-07-27/

Let’s hear another officer’s experience:

You want to cast blame on one group when this group was equally violent. Flip side of the same coin. One group is not morally superior over the other. Although I would say the Capitol Insurrectionists were perhaps WORSE because many were ex officers and military and should have known better.

7. Morgotha

I guess you don't remember the CNN reporter's statement that was widely mocked at the time.

[​IMG]

8. Morgotha

So here's a cop who is pleading guilty to violating someone's civil rights. The story is a man went to the police dept. saying he had just drowned his daughter in a pond. The officer went to the pond and found the child floating, and was able to warm her and revive her. Upon returning to the jail, the police officer threw the "suspect" to the ground and punched him. He subsequently resigned his position.

I dunno, in this time of letting criminals escape punishment for all sorts of things I think I'd let this one slide with time served and the loss of his job. I understand some people may disagree.

Oh, by the way. The dirtbag whose rights were violated? He's currently in jail for felony domestic assault and child abuse.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missouri-former-police-chief-pleads-guilty-saves-drown-baby

9. DeadZedHead

Olympics are every four years but Gymnastics competitions are every year. Also her scores affect the entire team. Going out and floundering would have drug down our score. The moves she performs are dangerous on a good day. They could be career ending on a bad day. You wouldn’t ask a weight lifter to squat 500 lb on a torn ACL. Why ask a gymnast without the ability to orientate themselves to risk breaking their neck. The speed and power they fling themselves with can do that if they land on their head while twisting. It may not be common enough for a passive fan to pay attention to but apparently those who follow gymnastics regularly knew what she was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. purriwinkle

“Mostly peaceful” is certainly a odd turn of phrase.. I’ve never said that violence during a BLM march was acceptable although I believe in their cause. In fact it detracted from their message. I would say that when one sees and then hears what went on at the Capitol on Jan. 6th they shouldn’t accept that either. It wasn’t just property damage but the attacks on officers that they claim to support that showed their true colors.

No one during a BLM march was trying to disrupt the lawful procedure of certifying a presidential election. They weren’t trying to impede our democracy, only demand fair and equal treatment.

It seems that both sides have those who would take advantage of the right to peacefully protest as an opportunity to wreak havoc.

12. DeadZedHead

They should have been mocking him wearing sleep mask on his hat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Morgotha

The thing is though she's not someone who for years has had an on-one-day, off-the-next pattern, but has been consistently strong. I think a competitor would tough the mental issues out. This isn't even her first Olympics, how stressful could it be? If anything I'd think it would be more like practice than a "real" match as the stands weren't filled with fans.

And you're right, I wouldn't ask a weightlifter to perform with a torn ACL, and I wouldn't ask her to do so either - but that's not the case here. She did NOT say she was having trouble with spatial orientation, inner ear problems or anything like that. She said it was NOT injury related but, "Biles said she will take Wednesday as "a mental rest day" and then make a decision on the rest of the Games. "We're going to see about Thursday,"

IOW, she was stressed out and decided to take the day off. And that's fine. It's just NOT fine for an Olympic athlete to do on the day she's to perform in the Olympics!

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story...mone-biles-withdrew-team-final-be-100-percent

#6353 Morgotha, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  14. Morgotha

15. Morgotha

BLM isn't some benign civil rights organization, we saw that in Cuba where they blamed the US government for the uprisings there. They want an end to our system of government, as well as other things, as seen below.

"According to Acton, the founding principles of BLM include a guaranteed minimum income for all black people, free health care, free schooling, free food, free real estate, gender reassignment surgery, and free abortion

Washington, D.C.’s local BLM chapter has even called for “no new jails” (which would likely guarantee an increase in crime, much of it perpetrated in black communities—see the District’s crime stats, see Chicago, see Los Angeles). BLM also demands reparations and wants to create a “global liberation movement” that will “overturn U.S. imperialism [and] capitalism.”

According to The New York Post, “Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors said in a newly surfaced video from 2015 that she and her fellow organizers are ‘trained Marxists.'”

16. DeadZedHead

I get it but stress related doesn’t necessarily mean she FELT stress. It means stress affected her. Just like a soldier with ptsd cant control how they are affected by it. (Im not equating the two). She kept trying to shake it but couldn’t. She may have worked through this before but we didn’t know. The spotlight on this athlete on this stage at this time illuminated a situation most of us weren’t familiar with. It isn’t new or made up.

17. Morgotha

I do understand. I'm just not that forgiving of someone in an elite position that shirks their responsibilities.

Some positions just don't allow for people to flake out. Can you imagine the public response if a police officer decides not to pursue some criminal because they feel stressed? Or a firefighter who feels too stressed to save someone from a burning building? People aren't going to say, "oh, your health was at risk, you did the right thing by not doing your job".

#6357 Morgotha, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  18. DeadZedHead

Police and firefighters do respond to stress. Sometimes they require and are entitled to stress leave. I would rather they take the time to recover rather than fail to save someone, taze them or kneel on their neck. High stress decision making is always difficult. We hear stories of police doing bonehead things all the time. Sometimes to disastrous results.

19. Morgotha

Biles isn't just some average gymnast at the YMCA, but one of the world's elite. I wouldn't compare her to the average cop or firefighter, but maybe more like someone in Delta Force. My point is one doesn't expect the best of the best to crumble when called upon in their chosen field. That's why they are the best of the best.

My point about the police and firefighters would be people expect them to show up and do their jobs, not bail in people's time of need.

I do take your point though -and it's a good one - about overstressed police showing up and doing something badly. We don't want that either.

20. Morgotha

Here's a father to be proud of. So some gang members showed up at a NYC car dealership and started shooting up the place. A man was sitting waiting on a couch inside with his three children. When the shooting started he pushed them to the floor and protected them with his body. He was shot in the thigh, but all his children were unharmed. Good job, dad! The video is available in the link below.

As far as the gang members shooting up the place? Not so much.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/07/30/bronx-car-dealership-shooting-2/