Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It's scary too how quickly things fell apart. Sure there were always deep rooted problems, and divisions, but once we hit 2016 it was like an alternate universe opened up. McConnell denied Obama hearings on his SCOTUS pick and then we had the maniac (who thinks Italian satellites changed the votes from him to Biden) win the election.

Dems on the far left need to stop complaining about Manchin and Sinema too. If Manchin is gone it's a sure loss of a seat, and tearing down Sinema isn't going to help when she's up for re-election in a swing state. People have to accept that senators in swing or red states are going to be moderate.

Look at Missouri, we mentioned Greitens but Hawley is horrendous too. In 2008 Obama almost won that state from McCain. McCaskill was senator there, and a Dem was governor. Now it's gone so far to the radical extreme. These are the sort of places we need to make inroads again particularly now that the Republicans in these places are becoming more extreme.

And the system needs changes. You brought up one with the Supreme Court, and I agree that they're on the bench way too long. The problem is we need better elected officials before we can even begin to change the system.

I just don't see how we're going to get from point A to point B though with how messed up things are. The response to the pandemic was eye opening to me. I never had any illusions about people, but the degree of selfishness, stupidity and detachment from reality that we saw surprised me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, the problems facing the country today are the fault of the evil Republicans, and how can the electorate be so stupid not to see that? Why are those rubes more interested in inflation and gas prices than the findings of the Jan. 6th committee or the plight of the transgendered? That seems to be your and the Dems angsty conundrum.

I can give you one answer, whether or not you think it's reasonable or not is up to you. The answer is for most people out there, they remember that while Trump may personally have been a jerk, gas was $2 a gallon, and all the shelves in the market were full of cheap food. He was putting an effort in to protecting our national borders, and didn't approve of crime. Those people *also* remember that on his first day in office Biden cancelled the Keystone pipeline, and said the goal of his administration was to go green and stop big oil, and that The People would just have to pay higher prices to pay for that. They know that regardless of cause inflation and shortages are an issue NOW under Biden, and that they weren't under Trump. They see the border as being wide open, and illegal aliens are flooding the country, with violent criminals and repeat offender criminals in their midst. They see the party that pushed "defund the police" after George Floyd in charge of the country, and crime rates have skyrocketed.

And yes, I'm sure that those same people also know in their minds there are a myriad of reasons for all these things happening, which may not be the fault of the Dems, BUT, at the end of the day in their hearts people remember cheap prices, surplus, personal safety, and an effort to maintain our border and compare that to the worst inflation in 40 years, more than doubling of gas prices, food shortages, baby formula shortages, an effectively open border and a President who is more interested in sending billions to Ukraine than solving his own people's problems and they aren't happy.

That they couldn't care less about Jan. 6th in comparison to not being able to feed their families, feel their children are safe, or pay their rent is IMO very understandable. IMO one would have to be quite privileged NOT to understand that.

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah and what do we have here? Typical Republican subterfuge, mistruths, and just plain crap. First off, let me award you the trophy for understatement of the year. Trump was a jerk? A jerk? How ‘bout a criminal, egotistical, underhanded traitor who sought to undermine a free and fair election, as determined by many credible sources including his own AG, because he couldn’t handle that he lost? Douche bag is more like it.

Then are you trying to tell me that the American people and Conservatives in particular are incapable of digesting information presented by both the Jan. 6th committee and understand the complexities of our current economic situation? Will their little minds explode or something? Quite frankly, IMO every American citizen should be watching to see the information presented so they can then make an informed decision about what happened and then why or if it matters to them. If they want to educate themselves I have full confidence in their ability to do so. Otherwise instead of banning books and a non existent CRT curriculum which as been explained time and again is not even taught in grades K-12 they might want to insist on civics classes to teach both students and their parents about being good citizens.
    “According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, civics is a social science dealing with the rights and duties of citizens. If you recall, participating in civics or social studies classes where civic-related matters were taught, attention was given to the rights and duties of citizens and how government works.”

Then you try to claim people remember the “good old days”. So do I. Back in the ‘80’s my CDs were making 15% interest. I’d LOVE to see that come back, lol. I was making good money on my savings. I also remember gasoline sold for under 2 dollars a gallon in 2016 long before Trump was elected. Things were good under Obama’s stewardship.
    “Washington – January 4, 2016) Gas prices rang in the New Year by reaching the lowest average price ($1.997) for the holiday since 2009.Jan 4, 2016”

You claim Trump was protecting our borders. I say he was sowing seeds of hatred against the citizens of our country to the South.
    You say there are shortages and inflation under Biden. I say if Trump hadn’t bungled our pandemic response and encouraged people to get the vaccine he strove to have made and worked more with world leaders we might be in a better place with supply chain issues. Only chowderheads would say anyone approved of crime, but no one likes murderous cops who violate people’s civil rights either. Oh, maybe they do until it happens to them or a member of their family. Also to say Trump doesn’t approve of crime will win you the oxymoron award.

To keep repeating the myth that cancelling the second portion of the Keystone pipeline is responsible for higher gas prices makes you part of the problem.
    https://www.wral.com/fact-check-ernst-ties-gas-prices-to-biden-keystone-pipeline-permit/20215314/
    You can explain this ad nauseam but it sounds better as a duplicitous soundbite, I guess.

As for Ukraine, there were many Republican congressmen and women who were supportive of sending aid to Ukraine as well as the majority of the American people. The war wasn’t over within a month and apparently we have short political attention spans. Old news ..*yawn*

Can’t feed their family? Really? But look and I’ll bet you find they have myriad subscriptions they pay for, vacations they take, put gas in the biggest truck or SUV they could buy, have a gym membership, etc. etc. I’m not saying it might not be difficult especially in some parts of the country but with a little ingenuity and getting real about your budget and finances they can manage like everyone else does.
    The baby formula shortage was a cluster f**k. The perfect storm.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/baby-formula-shortage-abbott-recall/629828/

One thing I and many, many others will remember is who is responsible for the loss of our daughters and granddaughters bodily autonomy due to the Christian “Taliban” (yeah, I said that) interfering into medical decisions that are private and are always the woman’s choice to make. Thankfully, individual states will take up the mantle to protect women’s rights now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Morgotha

Yep, you don't understand why the average American isn't worked up about Jan. 6th right now. After mentioning Jan. 6th, the next things you think are important to Repubs right now are "banning books and crt"? Nope, it's the *economy*. Values issues are secondary when people's livelihoods are threatened.

Nope, I'm NOT saying people are remembering the "good old days" of yore, I'm saying they remember what it was like *last year*! There's a big difference between the two.

No country in the world has open borders. No one should feel they have the RIGHT to come here whenever they want. And what exactly do you mean by your phrase "citizens of OUR country to the South"? We don't HAVE a country to the South, and the people who live in those countries are NOT our citizens! Talk about needing a civics class.

People blame the sitting president. Therefore these are Biden's problems, just like any previous problems were Trump's, Obama's, etc. during their terms. Biden doesn't get a free pass on that because you hate Trump.

And what b.s. about murderous cops. Look at the FBI's crime statistics to see who is really committing crimes and who the victims really are - cops aren't the problem. And btw, police officers are killed by *unarmed* suspects at about the same rate as police kill unarmed suspects, so even that isn't a one-sided situation.

And as I've said ad nauseum, the Keystone pipeline *itself* wasn't the problem, but it's a dang good indicator of what the administration's goals were, and are. Most people can see that. What was the POINT of cancelling the pipeline, anyway? Other than throwing people out of work, what good did it do for the country?

How many Americans or Repubs wanted to send 30 Billion to Ukraine like Biden did? I can't think of any. "Sending support" and funding their war are two different things. Maybe you should have a cup of coffee before posting.

Oh, I agree. People should live more modestly. OTOH, telling people that it's a good thing that gas prices are higher, they should be riding bikes instead of their cars to save the planet, and if they can't afford food it's probably for the best as they are too fat anyway isn't a winning political strategy or a good way to get people to change their behaviors.

What a bigot. Hindus, Muslims, and Jews, for example, are all opposed to abortion, and members of these faiths are Americans and participate in anti-abortion efforts, yet you don't mention them at all. The anti-abortion movement spans all faiths and both genders, blaming Christians is YOUR bigotry, nothing more. Oh, and as a bonus, there are even atheists who oppose abortion. You can't see that though, you only have hate for Christians.

https://www.americamagazine.org/pol...-against-abortion-respect-human-rights-227462

One final thing. I see you are falling in line with the left's messaging. When it concerned access to government services things weren't "women's" issues, they were issues of "menstruating persons" or "birthing persons". Now that abortion is in the forefront suddenly this is a "women's" issue? People see that, too, and know who's behind it.

[​IMG]

#7464 Morgotha, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  5. purriwinkle

I believe at least 20 million people tuned in to watch the first committee meeting that was televised in the evening. MANY average people are interested in understanding what led up to the Jan. 6th insurrection. They are able to get a rare glimpse into what went on behind the scenes in Trumps administration and the difficulties people had in just doing their jobs when it came to the last election. If there are people who want to put their heads in the sand when it comes to history, that’s their problem which brings us around to Banning books and CRT.

As for giving a nod to those subjects, I figured what the hell as you were airing your laundry list, but everyone has been dealing with the economic issues of increased demand out pacing supply due to the pandemic, but while all that was going on, conservatives somehow found the time to insert themselves in educational curriculums seeing that accurate historical information not be taught and/or current social issues not be discussed. Looks like a pattern of willful ignorance to me, not an inability to handle two things at once.

You might as well be. Going back two years ago people should remember they were in lock down. The world as we knew it came to a screeching halt as a pandemic roared around the globe. People who were lucky could work from home, essential workers could not, and many sat at home in limbo and collected unemployment. Maybe they’re remembering 2019.

LOL, I meant to say, citizens of our neighboring country to the south, LOL That’s a horse of a different color so to speak, but the class should maybe be geography not civics, lol.
    Besides, why don’t people have the right to try to come here? We’re a nation of immigrants. Not everyone can gain entrance but they can try.

Yes, unfortunately they do. Congress, as partisan as it, is doesn’t help either. Everyone worries about the economy, even me, but I’m not stupid enough to want to see the same man return to the WH who would throw our constitution under the bus because he was a whiney bitch when he lost his bid for a second presidential term. IMO, only the brain dead and fascists would seek that goal. Are there no other Republicans willing to throw their hat in the ring? Maybe they like kissing Trump’s ass.

Yeah right, there’s no murderous cops. That’s why Derek Chauvin is sitting in jail right now convicted of murder, for one. There would be more I think if it weren’t for qualified immunity but a good cop is worth his or her weight in gold.

Yet you continue to bring it up, but yep, a good indication that he wanted to protect sensitive environmental areas which is a worthy goal. From what I understand oil companies have numerous other leases they have yet to utilize Do you get this worked up when big companies send their manufacturing jobs over seas?

Uh yeah, money and weapons were exactly what was meant by support. Oh, don’t tell me you thought support meant thoughts and prayers, lol. That’s a riot! Oh, coffee late at night would only serve to spoil my sweet disposition, lol.

Who said anything about calling people fat? That was you. I only suggested that people look for ways to stretch their dollars and live within their means which is common sense during hard times. Hey, I like the bike idea, although I wasn’t thinking specifically about that. If it’s reasonable and safe why not? It would be a healthy choice and free up money spent on gas but saving money is going to look different for each family. Riding a bike wouldn’t be practical for everyone but there’s numerous other ways.

Bigot, me? This from the person who doesn’t miss a chance to blame all of societies woes on people of color when she’s not haranguing trans people, lol. I’m a live and let live kind of person. I don’t hate Christians…. used to be one but I do hate it when they try to cram their beliefs down other peoples throats so it’s more akin to hate the sin not the sinner. One reason I hate the Taliban for forcing their extreme ways on the whole Afghanistan nation but don’t hate Muslims.

Don’t be ridiculous. A menstruating person and a person who gives birth are both women who have the internal equipment. I would hope those women who do not for any reason or are beyond their child bearing years would stand in solidarity for a “woman’s issue.”

I don’t know how on point I am with the “left’s” messaging but I’ve seen that you’re quite adept at regurgitating ultra conservative talking points.

#7465 purriwinkle, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  6. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Both sides can ****in die. The United States has fallen and will never be the same. It's time we split peacefully before it truly becomes a civil war. There's no reconciliation between the two parties...and no place for politically eclectic individuals like myself.

7. purriwinkle

Tell us how you really feel, lol. No way to reasonably split geographically so we’ll have to muddle through. Maybe the ex pat life is for you. Canada? Europe? Or maybe even Australia. I hear it’s nice.

8. rabscuttle1

Nope. Half my ancestors are from here. I'll fight and die here when the fighting starts...and it will start. Too many conflicting ideologies for a cohesive existence.

9. purriwinkle

That’s a bit macabre for my tastes. I don’t think our country has ever had a cohesive existence with the possible exception during the Second World War. Let’s hope the fighting will be in the courts, and through elections.

10. rabscuttle1

Country has always had issues...but it was definitely way more cohesive just 20yrs ago. History shows that when a country becomes as unstable as we have..or when ideologies can no longer compromise.. violence follows. You will see many more cities burn, mass killings, more and more civilians turning to violence, and military action against the populace in the decade to come. I have a bad feeling that 2024 will be violent and kick it off.

11. Stealth

That's not true. The view on abortion among different Muslim sects vary. As far as Judaism is concerned, they see it as a necessary medical procedure and there are suits that will be pending calling it religious persecution against Jews.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...s-use-religious-freedom-suit-access-rcna34178

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stealth

I wish that we could do this, split up the country. But unlike the 1860s we don't have a clear Mason-Dixon line to divide us. The current situation is like a relationship where there are irreconcilable differences.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stealth

Cohesive existence is a complex point. I think the difference now is that people are willing to tear down the system to get power. That's what the January 6th hearings have shown. The only other time we really had that was the 1860s. Otherwise you've largely had groups work within the framework of our system to expand rights and pass policy.

Women worked peacefully to gain the right to vote. MLK did the same for civil rights. And both of these things are pretty amazing when you think of it. It's caused revolutions in other places, including our own country in the 1770s.

You can't really win in the courts anymore because the radicals have 5 solid votes on the Supreme Court. They're expected to rule on West Virginia vs. the EPA today, and that could send a spiral effect that will remove all ability for us to regulate business in the country. We'll be back to 1890s level stuff which the Republicans desire so that business can do whatever the hell they want.

So, it's unfortunately only going to get worse.

The only answer is to expand majorities in Congress enough so that you can add seats to the Supreme Court. and undo this mess. I don't see that happening though anytime soon. The House is likely lost in November. The Senate can be held. The presidential race in 2024 is an impending nightmare with the return of Dear Leader on the Republican side. Meanwhile these bad decisions will take root and further erode our society.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Morgotha

One woman is dead and another in the hospital in Atlanta, today. Why? They worked at Subway and apparently put too much mayo on some psycho's sandwich, for which he shot them both.

"
    Atlanta police are investigating a shooting that has left one woman dead and another in surgery.

The reason for the shooting? Too much mayonnaise on a sandwich, police said.

APD responded to a Circle K gas station at 74 Northside Drive Southwest to a person shot call just after 6:30 p.m. When they arrived, they learned two women had been shot after a dispute about the amount of mayonnaise on a customers Subway sandwich.

Willie Glenn, the co-owner of that Subway location on Northside Drive in downtown Atlanta, said it breaks his heart.

“It just breaks my heart, to know that someone has the audacity to point a weapon, and shoot someone for as little as too much mayonnaise on a sandwich,” said Glenn."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...AAYTFAg?cvid=4dd4aa2e3d4943c8ad074638c7c72bf8

15. Morgotha

Actually, it was the left wing who was trying to insert CRT in to the educational curriculum during the troubling times of the pandemic. Why do you find fault with the people saying "stop doing this" and not with the people who were changing the curriculum during the pandemic in the first place?

People have a right to try and come here LEGALLY, they do NOT have the right to come here ILLegally. LOL, people in this country have the right to pursue happiness as well. If they think they'd be happy to have a new t.v., do they have the right to break in to your house and take yours? Or would you expect them to work for and buy their own? Same thing applies to immigration.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if Trump ran again. He has fulfilled his role and done good things. Time to move on. At this point I hope either Nikki Haley or De Santis picks up the torch.

There aren't many, and the "crimes" committed by the police on citizens are trivial in number compared to the number of crimes committed by the citizens themselves, and that's not a supposition, that's a *fact*.

Yes, I do. I believe in practicing "buy American" as much as possible. The unions' saying of "buy American, the job you save might be your own" is as true now as it was when they said it.

And you think American citizens overall wanted to send 30 Billion dollars to help the Ukraine war effort? Not a chance. Sure, everyone wants to help, but I think you'll find people becoming a bit more parsimonious now that our own country is going to pot right before their eyes.

Yes, you. I've seen you post a lot, and the ONLY religion I've ever seen you criticize is Christians. Heck, even in the case of the atrocities committed by Muslim fanatics you go to great pains to say how they aren't representative of all Muslims, but somehow you have hate in your heart for Christians. I don't understand it, but I see it.

On me? I point out the actions of criminals that for some reason particularly annoy or offend me. If they are of color, then they are of color. If people aren't committing crimes, I've got no problem with them. On "transgenders" Yeah, that's a crock. It was invented as a thing by Dr. John Money of Hopkins, a creepy "sexologist" whose legacy continues on today. Yesterday's women fought hard for our title IX rights and our girls' inclusion in sports, and it turns my stomach to see those gains taken away and the rewards of that struggle being given back to men. It *especially* bothers me to see left-wing women helping them turn back the clock.

The point is the left has been saying women's issues are NOT women's issues - until this reversal of Roe came along. As I've posted previously, a (well, by appearances) female physician from Morehouse while testifying before the Senate refused to even define what a "woman" was. These people are not on the side of women, regardless of how much they preach solidarity and talk about "women" on Roe.

#7475 Morgotha, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  16. Morgotha

If you know that much you know that the beliefs among Christian sects vary just as much. Yes somehow she, and apparently you, see those differences in Muslims and Jews, but not in Christians who to you are a monolith. If that isn't bigotry, what is it?

Here's a quote from the article you posted. The author DOES recognize the similarity among faiths:

"Jewish thinking around abortion is complicated and can vary among individual teachers and congregations (much as with Christian teachings around abortion)"

I'm curious, IS there a major religion that views abortion as a positive thing to be encouraged?

17. Morgotha

Civil rights weren't just won by MLK, but by the deaths of over a million people in a bloody civil war and by the assassination of a sitting US President. Hardly a peaceful process, yet the country continues.

And don't be such a pessimist. The country didn't collapse when Roe was passed, it won't collapse now that it's repealed, just like it didn't collapse after Dredd Scott or Plessy vs. Fergusson - and it didn't collapse after their effective repeals, either.

On your last bit, adding seats to the Supreme Court to undo a mess, that's *exactly what just happened*! The country is working like it's supposed to.

#7477 Morgotha, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  18. rabscuttle1

And that's why a war is inevitable within the next decade...and 2024 is a very likely starting point. Only this time the country will be even more fractured than last time. We'll end up looking a lot like the middle east. The Great Western Empire has fallen.

19. purriwinkle

Nonsense. CRT is being tossed around like a foot ball and most people don’t have a good understanding of what it’s about. The following article from Forbes shows that while something is afoot, it’s not new and it’s not necessarily CRT. I think the article is balanced with both sides getting “spanked”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterg...bout-critical-race-theory-in-schools-is-over/

Here’s another viewpoint from educators:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-t-happening-classrooms-teachers-say-n1272945

You tell me. You’re the one who said values issues come secondary to a threatened livelihood. I’m sure every thief would say they take your goods because they have a financial need. I’m sure they were taught somewhere along the line that stealing is wrong but they certainly make that a secondary consideration when breaking into your house.

If you’re desperate enough you’ll do most anything to protect your family. Do you think these people trek thousands of miles through dangerous situations because they just got it into their heads one day to head to the USA? Most are trying to escape violence and crushing poverty in their home countries. Should they not try to swim across the Rio Grande? Absolutely but neither should their petitions for asylum be hanging in the ether indefinitely.

What does that even mean? The ratio of citizens to officers is much greater so yeah, they would be committing more crimes, but let me ask you, WHY are police officers committing crimes against the people they swore to defend and protect to begin with? I get it people will be shot if they engage in a gun battle with officers but unarmed citizens? the mentally ill? How ‘bout those killed “inadvertently” during a no knock warrant…sometimes the cops aren’t even at the right address. Sometimes they’re just vicious for the hell of it like the cop who dislocated that older woman with Alzheimer’s arm. Thank goodness he’s in jail and maybe his partner next for failing to stop him. Remember that?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...o-woman-dementia-arrest-sentenced-5-rcna27529

Well, the aid package passed in Congress, and they are our elected representatives supposedly representing their constituents interests, so as ole Mitch said…

“Anyone concerned about the cost of supporting a Ukrainian victory should consider the much larger cost should Ukraine lose,” McConnell said.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/202...id-for-bidens-signature-but-some-in-gop-balk/

I’ve already told you that I don’t care for the way “Christians” try to force their tenets on to everyone through legislation. I really don’t care what they believe and practice in their own homes and churches but don’t try to strong arm me into it. Having been born into the Christian religion and baptized, I’ve read the Bible throughly….personally, in Sunday school, with elders, heard the sermons, etc. etc. I tried to believe but came to the conclusion I was living a lie and did NOT believe after all. Do I hate those who do? Not personally. If someone needs a crutch to get them through the day, I try to be compassionate as I would with anyone who has any sort of addiction. If it makes them a better person fine and good, but I’ve not seen evidence of that in the majority of those who profess the faith. Just the way I feel about it.

I don’t know a lot about the other major religions. Maybe I have a little more knowledge of Judaism for someone who isn’t a Jew but that’s it. If Muslims ever get a law passed through Congress that says we have to pray facing Mecca five times a day, believe me, I’ll be just as harsh but for the most part they mind their own business. At least the ones living here and I do know some people who practice Islam.

Where we see the problem is with radicalization of the various religions and a radicalized Christian is just as dangerous as a radical Muslim, IMO.

Hate on who you want but we see those posts too. You aren’t fooling anyone.

Apparently you seem to know more about the radical left than I do but I can understand the Morehouse doctor’s refusal to define what a woman was. She knew she was being backed up into a corner and wouldn’t give a short and simple answer. The way I see it, there are sub-groups (just like in religions) beyond those who are assigned “female” at birth based on genitalia. I can be magnanimous if a person identifies as female even if they weren’t born that way. It doesn’t take away from my being a cis woman. On the contrary to your assertions, if they want to add their voices in support of women’s causes because they see themselves as women, more power to them.

I do understand your antipathy to trans athletes because you see them as having a physical advantage. I’m on the fence with that because I’m not involved with school sports. Maybe those young “boys” in this situation need to start hormonal therapy earlier (with parental consent and under the supervision of a board certified physician) before the testosterone kicks in to even the playing field. I don’t know. At the very least I try to be kind rather than judgmental.

#7479 purriwinkle, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  20. purriwinkle

I’ve read that the average empire only lasts about 250 years. Scary stuff since it seems like we may be coming to the end of the line, according to Glubb and his stages of empire. Is it inevitable or can it be avoided or mitigated? Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1