Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

A cautionary note on a used electric car purchase. A family bought a 2014 (that's not long ago) car for $11,000. It needs a new battery, which would cost $14,000 to replace IF there were any available, which there aren't. The result? The car's dead and will need to be replaced. Not very "eco".

BTW, this is where the government could do some good. Mandate that EV car makers supply parts for them (such as batteries) for 20 years, as a start. Make sure that as people are forced to convert to electric vehicles that they can actually use them.

"Avery Siwinski is a 17-year-old who's parents spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought, according to KVUE.

The teenager had the car for six months before it began giving her issues and the dashboard was flashing symbols.

"It was fine at first," Siwinski said. "I loved it so much. It was small and quiet and cute. And all the sudden it stopped working."

She told the news outlet that the car stopped running after taking it to a repair shop, and the family eventually found out that the car's battery would need to be replaced.

The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000,

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technol...roblem-replacement-battery-costs-more-vehicle

2. Morgotha

You rarely hear about "fun" things businesses are doing, but a couple of restaurants started having competing signs which would be fun to see. Apparently, before the pictures below, McDs asked DQ if they wanted to have a sign fight, and DQ said they were "too busy making ice cream".

LOL, personally, I like the bank's input the best. (oh, and btw, it really IS "Arvest" bank. When you look at it you figure it's "Harvest Bank" with the "H" missing, but, "nope". It's Arvast Bank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...AAZExNV?cvid=c10ac31fad5e4610a06c45534f75cdcf

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

It’s not over ‘till it’s over. Merrick Garland has the unpleasant task of recasting the DOJ’s image as non partisan, which it is supposed to be, after the foibles exhibited by the DOJ heads appointed by Trump, most notably Barr with his abridgment of the Mueller report, for example. He only reversed course and spoke out against Trump’s exploits only after lines had been crossed that he didn’t wish to get caught up with.

If a case can be brought for criminal action it might be on a federal level. We also have to look at the State level where he is still being investigated for fraud. That hasn’t gone away although there has been a brief hiatus due to Ivana falling(?) down a flight of stairs, if I understood the cause of death correctly.

I would say that the Trump accusers giving depositions at the Jan. 6th hearings are members of the Republican Party. Both Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger are Republicans and sit on the committee. The fact that there are only two Republicans who in this case are above reproach, is on the Republican Party themselves who didn’t want to cooperate. Well and good cause if I had had to listen to the likes of Jim Jordon or Rand Paul I’d have punctured my own eardrums, lol. The point being that this is bi-Partisan with testimony coming from the mouths of those that are in the same party as Trump.

Anyone who would try to compare overturning an election, and creating false and misleading scenarios to sow doubt in the minds of American citizens about the safety and veracity of the election process here in the US, and fomenting a violent insurrection to some misdirection about Hunter Biden’s laptop which has been gone over with a fine tooth comb is being deliberately obtuse. It’s been compared to the Steele dossier for reliability however if Republicans can find hours of testimony from Democrats who can show that it had any effect what so ever on anything, I’d be happy to watch.

The right has been orchestrating the fall of our democracy for some time as evidenced by their willingness to pack the courts on all levels, especially the underhanded shenanigans witnessed with the supreme court justices, to take civil liberties away from law abiding citizens unless of course, they are packing a semi-automatic rifle, legally of course, under their trench coat. Who knows what hard earned rights are in their sights next, although I’m sure they won’t revisit Loving vs Virginia.

#7563 purriwinkle, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yes, you can't compare what Trump did to any other president. Even Nixon's acts are mild in comparison. That was primarily a cover-up crime. He was never looking to overthrow an election, and lead a mob to kill the VP and other elected officials. And in the end Nixon did resign.

And I'm not absolving Nixon for his acts. I don't even believe he should've been pardoned but he was a person, despite his many issues, who did want what was best for the country. Trump only cares about himself.

Our problems in the courts now are as serious as any one we face. They threaten to destroy the fabric of our system too. Now you have doctors afraid to treat women with miscarriages. And then we had the recent story of the raped 10-year-old girl who needed an abortion.

This is not 1850. We can't live in such a dystopian society where you have more rights to own a semi-automatic weapon than a woman has to her own body. It's sick.

I think their next target will be Obergefell, to overturn gay marriage. That rodent Ted Cruz was talking about it lately too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Morgotha

Anyone who claims political actions have anything to do with the seriousness of the underlying event is being deliberately obtuse.

6. Morgotha

The problems with the courts started in 1973 when they allowed a legal decision to take the place of a law created by elected representatives. All the problems the country face now are the fruit of that poisonous tree.

Any doctor who says they are afraid to treat a woman who has had a miscarriage is either a complete idiot or an activist trying to mislead you -- anyone saying such a thing on t.v. is far more likely to be the latter. "Performing an abortion" means taking an infant's life with the INTENT of taking an infant's life. It does not, for example, apply to situations like an ectopic pregnancy (surgical removal of the same to save the woman results in the death of the fetus) or for Heaven's sake a d&c after a miscarriage.

On the 10 year old girl's story, do you really think the inconvenience of having to cross state lines to go to a doctor is the family's concern at this point? That man raped and traumatized that little girl and robbed her of her childhood. She will probably never fully recover, not really. That is what is going to be consuming the family, not the addition of 1/2 hour of driving time to get to a doctor's office. She was given an abortion. She had to cross state lines to do so because The People of her state don't believe in later term abortions regardless of the reason (apparently). That's what they want there. If they don't want it, they can vote for something else. That's the way the system works. BTW, one thing I haven't seen discussed much is that the perpetrator was 31 years old but listed as a minor in the doctor's report to the state. Why did the doctor make such a change? What gain was there for her or for the suspect in her doing so? If the doctor's "mistake" was deliberate, have they been punished for the same? Why not?

If you think our current "lack of rights" are sick, get off your duff and start writing letters to your members of Congress. Organize local action groups, protest. DO something about it! That's the way the system is supposed to work, aggrieved people making changes to our laws. It's NOT supposed to be the case that 9 UNelected people make the rules that govern our society.

#7566 Morgotha, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  7. purriwinkle

Well, I’m sure you’ve seen this. In case you haven’t, it’s Margaret Atwood….

[​IMG]

And yeah, I agree Obergefell will probably be on the chopping block next. The current Supreme Court is determined to erase the separation of church and state and theocracies can’t handle same sex couples much less same sex marriage. The 1850’s? We’ll be lucky if we don’t revert to the Middle Ages.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

The people of her state can pound sand. These are basic rights to ones own body, not the tax rate or the amount of money being spent to maintain parks.

It's not whether it's the concern of her family, they have more on their plate than anyone could handle, but it should be the concern of all of us that citizens don't have basic rights. These are civil rights and human rights.

And it's very telling too that these people are worried about embryos and fetuses, but here when you have an actual living, breathing child they don't give a damn what happens to her and take a forced birth approach. Revolting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morgotha

In America, "The People" are the ones who determine what "rights" we have to our own bodies, as opposed to a King or other such unelected body telling us what rights we have. That's the whole point of our country! If you do NOT think it's the right of the people to determine these rights, who DO you think should determine what's legal in the US? Biden? The Supreme Court? The UN?

Or are you a Libertarian to the point you believe one should have the right to do literally anything to yourself? For example, to buy and use heroin, meth, etc. legally as it's "your body" to do with what you will and society be damned? How about seat belts and motorcycle helmets? Does the state have a right to FORCE you to protect yourself?

All citizens DO have basic rights. Those that are enumerated in the Constitution are managed by the Federal government. Rights NOT managed by the Feds are managed by the States, and something is no less a right for being managed by a state.

On your last part, I understand your POV completely. I also understand that some people believe that the developing child is an innocent person and has a right to life as well, even if it burdens the young mother. I'm NOT saying that's my view, but I recognize it exists, just like I recognize that some people feel we should euthanize patients with Alzheimers, the demented elderly, etc. while others believe they have a right to life and care. There's more than one POV out there for every tough ethical decision, and *someone* has to decide what's legal for each state or the country. Personally, I'm glad we have the option of letting the states decide instead of being forced to wait for Congress to do something nationally, as Congress currently is proving itself unable to accomplish much. Or to put it another way, allowing the states to decide isn't "revolting", it's the best thing we have at this point in time.

And just so the point doesn't get lost, it was NOT the right idea to have the Supreme Court effectively pass a law because they were tired of waiting for Congress to do so. You might not appreciate it now, but this court has done a real service for the country in overturning Roe. Once the court has its foot in the door as a writer of laws, who knows what law they might wish to write next? Actually, as Purri pointed out they already *did* write another law, the "Defense of Marriage" act. You'll recall it was passed by Congress and signed by the President to say marriage was between one man and one woman, and the SC came out and said that what that really meant was that gay marriage was legal across the country. The SC decided the law meant the exact opposite of Congress' intent. LOL, that might seem great from an "end justifies the means" pov, but I bet you won't feel the same way the next time a Dredd Scott or Plessy court is in power, and now has the right and ability to craft laws of their choosing.

Nope, if someone didn't put the brakes on the Supreme Court's overreach, in another generation for practical purposes we could effectively disband Congress and accept our country had become an oligarchy.

#7569 Morgotha, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  10. purriwinkle

Let’s get it straight on what the supreme court’s actual role in our democracy is. First off, it DOES NOT pass new laws.

“The complex role of the Supreme Court in this system derives from its authority to invalidate legislation or executive actions which, in the Court’s considered judgment, conflict with the Constitution. This power of "judicial review" has given the Court a crucial responsibility in assuring individual rights, as well as in maintaining a "living Constitution" whose broad provisions are continually applied to complicated new situations.”

Therefore, it’s incorrect to say the Supreme Court passed a new law in 1973 but only interpreted a case brought before it which decided that abortion would be allowed as a broad provision applied to a complicated new situation. This idea that the current crop of justices have cited of constitutional originality is a steaming pile of crap.

“Originalism, in Barrett’s words, is the belief that “constitutional text means what it did at the time it was ratified and that this original public meaning is authoritative.” Judges, originalists maintain, should be bound by the words of the Constitution, and the meaning of those words should be determined solely based on how they were understood when they were added to the Constitution.”

“The Constitution limits the Court to dealing with "Cases" and "Controversies." John Jay, the first Chief Justice, clarified this restraint early in the Court’s history by declining to advise President George Washington on the constitutional implications of a proposed foreign policy decision. The Court does not give advisory opinions; rather, its function is limited only to deciding specific cases.

When the Supreme Court rules on a constitutional issue, that judgment is virtually final; its decisions can be altered only by the rarely used procedure of constitutional amendment or by a new ruling of the Court. However, when the Court interprets a statute, new legislative action can be taken.“

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/constitutional.aspx

The problem as I see it, is when the court does not represent the will of the American people and the liberties it is supposed to be defending.

The Framers of the U.S. Constitution were less concerned that the Court would impede democracy. In the Federalist Papers, Alexander Hamilton predicted that the federal courts would be the "least dangerous branch" of the federal government, because they had neither soldiers nor money to enforce their decrees. Hamilton also rejected the idea that the Supreme Court was inherently anti-democratic: when it struck down federal and state laws in the name of the fundamental constitutional principles, he explained, the Court would serve democracy rather than thwart it, because the Constitution represented the will of the people, while federal and state laws merely represented the will of the people's temporary and fallible representatives. The Court's power of judicial review would also protect limited government and individual liberty.

https://www.thirteen.org/wnet/supremecourt/democracy/history.html

Polls have shown that the majority of Americans support abortion in some context. The will of the people. So now that Roe has been struck down, we’ve actually put another wedge between what is already a growing partisan divide between “red” and “blue” states. There has already been a patchwork of states now strengthening their commitment to reproductive rights for women and states who will take away those rights from women least able to get around these new restrictions.

I’ve said it before, women with money will always be able to obtain an abortion, no matter where they live because their economic status allows them the freedom to travel. For those who can’t afford it, it will be difficult, especially when some states are trying to hold doctors and people who aid those women in need, legally responsible. How many clinics offering these services have been closed and people lost their jobs? Maybe Ob-gyns will simply up and move their practices to more accommodating states leaving even less choices for women’s health care in certain areas of the country.

Smart people will devise ways in which women can get around this, and have. More power to creativity until the court once again changes it’s rulings or changes are made to the court itself.

#7570 purriwinkle, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Morgotha

:eek: You really believe that all the SC did was to "interpret the case before it" in Roe? Texas said the state had a right to protect the lives of the unborn, and only allowed abortion to save the health of the mother and allowed NO abortions otherwise, and that's what they wanted to continue with. Roe wanted the right to an abortion to be absolute - the right to abortion at any time for any reason. So what did the supreme court do? First, they *invented* a "right to privacy" that they said existed (without, you know, actually being written down) in the Constitution, and then They *invented* the trimester system saying what regulations states could impose on abortion during each trimester of pregnancy! Before the SC came up with this idea, neither side in the case said anything remotely like wanting a trimester system. There's just *no way* you can (honestly) say the SC was just interpreting a case when they made up their own framework to use as law going forward in perpetuity. That is WRITING law, not interpreting it.

I give much more weight to the "originalists" claims than those of the "living Constitution, reinterpret things for the complexities of today" crowd. I was just now washing my coffee pot and thought of an example of why. Mom dies, and wrote a will years ago to distribute her assets. Now her heirs aren't happy with the way Mom wanted things, and basically say that what Mom *really* wanted was for them to have the authority to say where the money went, as Mom wrote the will a long time ago and didn't understand the complexities, responsibilities and demands of her will in today's world. Both sides could argue their cases, but for me? If Mom said she wanted all over her money to go to the animal shelter instead of her kids, that's what should happen. The kids shouldn't be able to come up with some slick talk to take her money themselves after she's dead and can't speak for herself. Similarly, the Courts should do what they were MEANT to do. Interpret laws as Constitutional, or not, not re-write them to suit their own pleasure.

Boy, was he wrong!

Right. *Striking down* an unConstitutional law is fine. Re-writing a law to make it say what the court wants it to is NOT fine.

Isn't that how it should be? People deciding for themselves how they want to live? So far everyone who has wanted an abortion has gotten one, regardless. How do I know that? Because as sure as I am the sun will come up tomorrow I'm sure there are a whole batch of left wing journalists and activists waiting to find a woman being forced to carry a pregnancy to term so they can hoist her up and parade her around in support of their cause. Since that hasn't happened yet, it hasn't happened yet.

Even before Roe was overturned rural access and access of the poor to abortion was difficult. *Everything* is difficult for the poor, that's part of being poor. It's rather ironic that you are using OB/GYNs leaving because of this, saying it will hurt the poor. The truth is GYNs have been leaving these same areas for YEARS *because* of the poor. The malpractice rates for GYNs is 4 times that of anyone else, because they are a favorite target in lawsuits from the poor who aren't happy with one thing or another. If the .gov had immunized these docs from lawsuits, many of them wouldn't have left. That was brought up, but the trial lawyers put a stop to it. My rambling point? The poor are responsible for the lack of OBs treating the poor, not Roe.

I agree with you here, but what you wrote depresses me. Why? Because implicit in your statement (much like the right to privacy in the Constitution ;)) is the acknowledgement that Congress isn't going to live up to its responsibilities and pass a law regarding abortion and fix the situation once and for all. That's sad.:(

Hey, one final thought on your Hamilton quote. He thought the Constitution represented the long-term will of the people, and laws their passing fancies, as it were, right? Thinking about it, abortion restrictions were present in the country since it's inception, and it wasn't until Roe that abortion on demand became the law of the land. Why would there be such a profound and sudden change? Well, what was going on in the country at the time? The 70's! Freedom without responsibility and hedonism. I think you could make a good case that in passing their "law" the SC was acting not as a stable Constitutional agent, but as an flighty agent of the day, following the zeitgeist of their time. Perhaps now more serious heads are saying the party's over and it's time to go back to work and pay the bills that the good-timers have racked up.

12. purriwinkle

According to the article that I cited:

The Constitution limits the Court to dealing with "Cases" and "Controversies." John Jay, the first Chief Justice, clarified this restraint early in the Court’s history by declining to advise President George Washington on the constitutional implications of a proposed foreign policy decision. The Court does not give advisory opinions; rather, its function is limited only to deciding specific cases.

The Justices must exercise considerable discretion in deciding which cases to hear, since approximately 7,000-8,000 civil and criminal cases are filed in the Supreme Court each year from the various state and federal courts. The Supreme Court also has "original jurisdiction" in a very small number of cases arising out of disputes between States or between a State and the Federal Government.

So yes, they weighed in on a controversy they decided to hear both in 1973 and in 2022. This was not a matter of “original jurisdiction”. In ‘73 they decided based on what they felt was constitutional for both parties. With Roe, they recognized that abortion was a matter of privacy but they also recognized the states right to govern so they set guidelines which was the trimester outline that you previously referred to.

https://supreme.findlaw.com/supreme...wade-case-summary--what-you-need-to-know.html
    • During a pregnant person's first trimester, the Court held, a state cannot regulate abortion beyond requiring that the procedure be performed by a licensed doctor in medically safe conditions.
    • During the second trimester, the Court held that a state may regulate abortion if the regulations are reasonably related to the health of the pregnant person.
    • During the third trimester of pregnancy, the state's interest in protecting the potential human life outweighs the right to privacy. As a result, the state may prohibit abortions unless an abortion is necessary to save the life or health of the pregnant person.

Now if you want to say that the SC acted outside it’s constitutionally mandated function in ‘73 that’s your opinion but I would say the same in the interpretation they just handed down. Roe has been the precedent of the land for the last 5 decades giving a woman control over her own reproductive choices within reason and now has been flushed down the toilet for women who reside in states that were waiting in the wings with trigger laws that in some states do not even allow abortion in cases of rape, incest or to protect the life of the mother!

I believe the states with such restrictive laws are once again poking their noses in where they don’t belong….in a women’s private life, her body and any decisions she makes with her family and medical doctor concerning family planning.
    More interesting reading on how the SC in ‘73 came to it’s conclusion concerning “privacy” and the reasoning of the SC in subsequent rulings:
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-5/right-to-an-abortion
    A much more progressive SC than the one than we’re burdened with currently.

We’re not talking about who gets grannies silver tea set here, although I know you’re trying to make a point re original intent. The constitution and a will are not comparable documents. I believe the founding fathers left much of the language a little vague as to make room for further interpretation to fit the times. It is not the 1700’s!

Hey, that’s the way it works. Most of the justices when striking down a law will write pages on why they came to their decision. They give their opinions not unlike other judges. I don’t know where you get this idea of yours that the SC writes laws or rewrites them, although they may set guidelines. They decide the outcome of a controversial issue period….right or wrong. If you disagree you can always cite me an article or two to prove your point.

Wait for it. The ruling is new. I’m sure there will be numerous stories highlighting the hardship this will impose on a number of women.
    The sad story of the 10 yr. Old rape victim from Ohio was used by BOTH sides to further their POV. The young victim was just over Ohio’s “6 wk ban” and had to go to another state for her abortion. The right made numerous claims that the incident never even happened until a man was arrested for her rape. Now Indiana’s AG is trying to blame the Dr. who helped the girl and her family rather than praise her. The Dr. is now suing him for defamation of character since it appears she did everything correctly. A blatant attempt to divert attention away from the fact that he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/19/abortion-doctor-lawsuit-bernard-rokita-indiana/
    [​IMG]
    We won’t hear the stories though of the majority of ordinary women who feel trapped by the new rulings.

Are we really blaming the poor now? Most medical students have a huge debt financially when they get through with their education and training. Would it be so hard to understand why they want to practice in areas where the renumeration is greater? We don’t live in times when your patient can pay you for your “doctoring” with a chicken, and the kindly doc will make do because he loves his patients so. That’s where clinics like Planned Parenthood provided a much needed service.
    Fifty-six percent (56%) of Planned Parenthood health centers are in health professional shortage areas, rural or medically underserved areas. Planned Parenthood health centers provide primary and preventive health care to many who otherwise would have nowhere to turn for family planning care.
    https://www.plannedparenthood.org/u...98790766/190117-irreplaceable-role-pp-v01.pdf
    So it’s a great thing to defund and mess with that.:rolleyes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/17/planned-parenthood-congress-wisconsin-texas
    Besides I highly doubt the “poor” have the resources to even hire a good lawyer to sue anyone, much less a doctor. Consult a lawyer lately? Pretty stiff fees, IMO.

Even if Congress could get it’s act together and pass a law regarding abortion, any party could bring a case all the way up to the SC and if they chose to hear it, could strike it down. Catch 22 if you ask me.

From the previously cited article:
    Many think of Roe v. Wade as the case that "legalized abortion." However, that isn't exactly true. What it did was change the way states can regulate abortion, and characterized abortion as something that was covered under constitutional rights of privacy.

It may come as a surprise that Roe did not have much of an impact on the number of abortions performed each year in the United States. According to the Guttmacher Institute, in the years before Roe was decided there were over one million illegal abortions performed in the U.S. annually. After Roe, that number remains around one million, performed legally. Plus, the rate of deaths occurring as the result of abortions dropped dramatically in the years following Roe.

Will your opinion change if the maternal death rate rises in states that have severely restricted or banned abortions? It won’t be long before those statistics will become available.

#7572 purriwinkle, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  13. Stealth

During the early years of this country the people determined that some human beings could be owned as property. They also determined that women could not vote. These are basic civil rights and human rights. Even Jefferson spoke of these unalienable rights in the Declaration. The Constitution though, and the early Republic, failed to include all people. It's sad today in 2022 that we're still struggling with this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealth

Well said. There are ways around it for people with resources. Nevertheless it's still a significant problem for anyone in the case of a rape. Many women don't even report it when it occurs. So if they became pregnant they could be alone in facing that nightmare. I would also imagine if they lived in a third world American state that punishes women for making a choice with their own body, they would be even less likely to report a rape now.

The bottom line though that can't be lost in all of this is that it is evil if any state takes a forced birth approach for a child, or anyone. There was a time in this country when women were seen as the property of their husbands when they got married. Whatever happened in those households, good or bad, was their business.

A lot of these weirdos long for that. Their approach here is to control women, and make them dependent on men. What better way to do that then take away bodily autonomy? Then you not only have forced birth, but you also diminish the ability of women to work because they have kids. So again, they become more dependent.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Morgotha

Yes. Inventing a framework for abortion exceeded their authority. As far as a bad law being precedent? Plessy vs. Ferguson was ALSO in effect for over 50 years before being overturned. Are you saying we should respect that precedent and go back to "separate but equal" as the law of the land? I bet not, and since you wouldn't want to do that, your whole "but we should respect precedent" argument is shown to be b.s. You only want to respect precedent when you want the outcome of respecting precedent. -oh, and btw, even though there were troubles in the decades after Plessy was overturned, the end result for the U.S. is *better*. It stands to reason, then that the same thing will happen here. Initial tribulations followed by improvement to the country overall.

And I have to call b.s. on your "states don't allow abortion to protect the life of the mother". WHICH states have laws like that? Name one. You can't? Didn't think so. And don't waste our time saying that people are "planning" to do something. You could write a book with all the crazy stuff someone is "planning" on doing, but those things aren't laws.

I liked that Cornell article. Very informative and concise. It to me shows the court was doublethinking in their rationale though in Roe. On the one hand, they said abortion could be permissible as fetuses weren't "persons" and therefore had no due process rights. Then they said that because of the state's interests in protecting life, it may proscribe abortion after viability. So... if the baby is viable, why isn't it a person? You can't have it both ways, a baby isn't Schrodinger's cat.

Yes, I believe the original intent should stand unless modified by Congress. The SC should not be making its own changes to the Constitution.

If that'll convince you of my point, I'd be happy to do so, from no less an authority than the Supreme Court itself.

https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/static/2022/06/19-1392_6j37-2.pdf

No, no we won't. And "yes" I'm sure there are going to be plenty of women who are going to be affected by the correcting of the law. Like I said though, I think at the end of the day doing things the right way will be better for the country than having the SC backdoor a policy on what's literally a life or death issue.

Meh, just my .02. And the type of lawyer that takes these cases work on contingency as they know their clients can't pay. They then take the lion's share of any payout obtained.

The Supreme Court can NOT strike down a Constitutional Amendment, that becomes the Law of the Land and they are bound to follow it regardless of how they feel about it.

Ehh... Remember that the Guttmacher Institute is connected to Planned Parenthood, and isn't an "objective" source. I've posted a link below to an alternative source of information. One thing you'll note is that if you go down to the bottom to look at the (mother's) deaths from abortion, the only time there were "thousands" of deaths were in the 1930s and 40s, which coincidentally also happened to be in the pre-antibiotic era. By the 60's there were "only" 180 ish maternal deaths, by the 70's there were about 50, and now there are about 20/year. I'd say that most of the change had nothing to do with the legality of abortion, and everything to do with 1. the introduction of antibiotics and 2. improvement in surgical techniques and supportive care. A hospital today is not what it was in 1950!

IOW, at this point I think it's safe to say that PP's screeching about "1000's of women dying every year" is baloney. There will most likely continue to be 10-40 maternal deaths per year now that Roe has been repealed just like there were when Roe was NOT repealed. (and, of course, 930,000 fetal deaths per year ((USA Today, for 2021)))

On how many abortions there were prior to Roe? No one really knows. What we do know is that in the early 1970's after Roe was passed (and after a couple of years to make sure people were reporting them) about 600,000 abortions/yr were reported. This increased to 1,200,000/yr by 1980. It would seem reasonable to say that around 600,000 abortions were performed annually in the yeas immediately preceeding Roe. It would NOT make sense to believe the Guttmacher Institute's numbers and say that before Roe there were *1,200,000* abortions a year, and this number decreased by half after passing Roe to 600,000? Does that make sense? Having legalized abortion cut abortions in half? Nope, it doesn't, especially as the papers looking at abortion rates have shown an *increase* after legalization. It took almost a decade of legal abortion to reach the 1 million mark, so I *strongly* doubt Guttmacher's claim about the pre-abortion era.

a site with the opposite bias as guttmacher, but with good tables:

https://www.liveaction.org/news/abortion-numbers-today-before-roe-v-wade/

A great scholarly article that I confess I didn't read all of but skimmed for what I was looking for.

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev.pu.04.050183.001255

#7575 Morgotha, Jul 21, 2022
  16. Morgotha

What has changed? In the days of slavery blacks were determined by the Supreme Court to not be persons, so they couldn't sue for their freedom. Now Supreme Court says that a 9 month old baby (up to the time of delivery) is not a person and can be killed at will by its birthing person.

I agree. It's sad we're still struggling with this.

Oh, and the right to vote is not on the same level as the right to life. It's restricted even today for all sorts of things.

17. Morgotha

Didn't you read Purri's post? The numbers of abortions didn't change radically before and after Roe was "passed", so it stands to reason they won't change radically now that Roe has been repealed, for all of PP's fear-mongering to the contrary.

Oh, and if you REALLY want to make women dependent on men? Start telling men to get a job and support their families!

#7577 Morgotha, Jul 21, 2022
  18. purriwinkle

I don’t have time for a full rebuttal now but I knew I read this somewhere….

One state Mo says? From KHN:

Abortion Exception To Save Mother’s Life Rejected By Idaho Republicans
    At the Idaho Republican convention, delegates voted against adding language to its party platform that would carve out an abortion exception in cases where the mother's life is at risk. News on court and legislative developments is also reported from Florida, West Virginia, Indiana, and other states.

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/ab...e-mothers-life-rejected-by-idaho-republicans/

I’ll see what else I can find. One more quick article now..

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/07/idaho-gop-abortion-life-of-mother

19. Morgotha

Those aren't *laws*, are they? The point is there is NO state in the nation where you can't have an abortion to protect the health of the mother.

#7579 Morgotha, Jul 21, 2022
  20. Morgotha

So Calif. police arrested two men with 150,000 fentanyl pills. They were let out on cashless bail by the state, as I'd posted before. Now here's the shocking part: Neither one of them appeared in court for their arraignment :eek::eek::eek:! I hope they're o.k., It's not like they have any reason to leave town or anything -- maybe they were in an horrific traffic accident or something and can't physically get to court. I mean, I highly doubt they would commit a crime by not going back for their arraignment on their prior criminal acts. Anyone who would do something like that would have to be a... a... a criminal!

"
    Two accused drug traffickers busted with 150,000 fentanyl pills during a California traffic stop last month failed to show in court Thursday after being released on cashless bail.

Defendants Jose Zendejas, 25, and Benito Madrigal, 19 – released on their own recognizance less than 24 hours after their arrest with the large stash of illicit drugs – were scheduled to appear for their arraignments at the Tulare County Courthouse in central California Thursday morning, but failed both men failed to show

https://battleroyaleforums.com/forum/threads/some-craziness.307962/page-379#post-15754292