Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Someone say heathy food?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by frawniemae, Sep 23, 2015.

1. steely

steely Well-Known Member

At least Honda gets it...look at that delicious pizza... this talk of Healthy foods needs to end!!!

2. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is nasty!

Your bowels must be screaming at you for a salad!

3. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

question: are you sure that's not something that came out from his bowels? :p

4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha!!

It's nasty what ever it is! I think it's 'trying' to be a pizza lol

5. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

This is a once a week meal but you can change up the lean protein and fix it more often if you want. Chicken or beef would be good. maybe shrimp but I don't know really know how it would be with shrimp since I cant eat it...

1 T olive oil
    1 pound lean protein (this shows pork tenderloin, cubed)
    1 cup each coarsely chopped red cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms and tri color bell peppers
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp rubbed sage
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 T water

Heat oil over medium high in large skillet, add meat and stir fry until no longer pink. Add in all veggies, seasonings and water. Stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring once. Serve immediately.
    Yields 2 servings with each having 8 ounce protein and 2 cups veggies. About 300 calories per serving.

Attached Files:

6. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

Love this thread and [MENTION=40551]frawniemae[/MENTION] you are such an inspiration to me as I'm on a similar journey. I've managed to change my eating habits since June and I'm a quarter of the way to my goal weight. Still a long way to go but I'm proud of myself as I've been struggling for so long.

I'm doing Weight Watchers and this program really works for me because it allows me to fail occasionally. I think one of the reasons I've failed in the past is because I've punished myself whenever I "messed up". For instance, the other day I was out in the field at work and it was 2 pm and we still hadn't had lunch. Of course, the guys there ordered a bunch of pizzas (real pizza, not domino's crap) and pizza is my biggest downfall as it's my favorite food in the world. Anyway, I'm starving at this point so I eat two slices (one with pepperoni). In the past, I would have been so upset with myself for eating that pizza that I would have gotten McDonald's on the way home and then that would snowball into days or weeks of unhealthy eating. However, I've been really working hard to stop myself from doing that. This time I forgave myself for "cheating", went home and had a salad with grilled chicken for dinner and went back to my healthy eating. And I lost weight that week instead of spiraling out of control. The Weight Watchers program allows you to make those mistakes or have that night out with the girls where you can let loose a little without the guilt. (I sound like a commercial)

Probably the biggest difference that is allowing me to be successful this time around with weight loss is that I joined Blue Apron. I'm not someone who likes to cook or is good at it and I am not very adventurous with food. I used to mostly buy boxed food or ate sandwiches or hot dogs or pasta for dinner. Really easy stuff. So from Blue Apron I get the ingredients delivered to my house complete with detailed instructions on how to prepare and cook the food to make some really delicious meals. I'm eating stuff that I would never normally eat and it is all relatively healthy as long as you eat the appropriate portions. For instance, my meals this week include:

Cumin-Sichuan Beef and Noodles with Sweet Peppers, Cabbage and Garlic Chives
    Southern-Style Chicken Cacciatore with Creamy Grits and Basil
    Fresh Linguine and Roasted Fennel with Lemon Ricotta Castelvetrano Olives and Breadcrumbs

Every meal that I've had so far has been delicious. My cooking is improving (I ruined a couple of meals at the beginning) and it usually only takes an hour or so to finish the meal and I don't have to shop for or measure out the ingredients! I get 3 meals for 2 sent to me each week and since I'm only one person and I sometimes split the meals into 3, I have enough food for the week for dinner every night and usually a couple of lunches. And I'm getting a nice variety of food so I don't get bored and crave unhealthy food.

I've rambled on enough but I am enjoying reading what everyone else is doing and seeing some of the recipes here!

7. frawniemae

@CoyoteTWD thanks for the kind words. If, through my weight struggles and finding a way to overcome it, I can be an inspiration, I feel blessed to be able to help. It sounds like you have found what works for you. And CONGRATS!!!! for not beating yourself up over a couple slices of pizza! I know exactly what you mean about spiraling out of control; been there and done that way too many times to even try to count!
    That Blue Apron thing sounds really good! Those meals sound delicious! Glad you've found a way to stop eating "out of the box". That is one of the best things anyone could do for his or herself - quit eating convenience foods! My pantry used to be full of stuff in a box; rice mixes, pasta dinners, all kinds of "helpers", even frozen "meals in a bag" contain so many things a body doesn't need. Fresh veggies and lean proteins with the occasional canned green beans and tomatoes or frozen veggies when what I want is out of season will be what makes up my diet from here on out. Once I reach goal weight I will start adding a few extra carbs (whole grain, fruits) and dairy products (yogurt, low fat cheeses) each day. This cannot just be thought of as a "diet". It has to be seen as a new lifestyle. That is the only way I will be able to maintain my weight loss. I damn sure don't plan on ever being overweight like that again. I will have a "scream" weight and if and when I hit it, I will go back to eating as if I were back to square one on the Ideal Protein Protocol.

Last night I had bunless burgers: 8 ounces of fresh ground sirloin patties wrapped in green leaf lettuce and topped with sliced onion and roma tomato, a few jalapenos, mustard and a little Walden Farms Blue Cheese dressing. Kale chips (1.5 cups by weight precooked) were my side dish. That is a plateful of food and contained approximately 500 calories. This was my "big" meal for the day.

Attached Files:

8. zombiemom62

went to the doctor today and had to get on the scale, aaaaaahhhhh! Well my weekend is ruined. So what can you do with acorn squash?

9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm so simple...I get in routines and eat the same stuff all the time which usually consists of scrambled eggs for breakfast (with lots of delicious stuff mixed in), fruit and avocado slices, different salads for lunch, and for dinner it's usually something like chicken and veggies with hummus. I just find things I like and stick with it. If someone else is cooking I'm down for trying new things :p

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The idea of cooking you breakfast is perhaps the biggest tease since the push-up bra was invented. :p

11. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Yes!! I'm not gonna lie, that pizza looks totally delicious to me, but if I ate it I would be up all night, and not in a good way. My body cannot handle things like that anymore.

This was my morning:

12. frawniemae

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ingredients/squash-recipes/acorn-squash-recipes

Found these...sounds good! And just go from where you are and watch those carbs and the next time you get on the scale you will see a better number for you, I have no doubt.

13. frawniemae

Thought I'd share some ideas for using cauliflower. This is a very versatile veggie. You can eat it raw, steam it, or run it through the food processor and "rice" it. Once it is riced you can stir fry it adding seasonings and veggies to make mexican caulirice or add onion and bell peppers to make a savory side dish for chicken. I've broken it up into tiny florets , steamed it and then used it in place of potatoes and made a "fauxtato" salad. Everyone that ate it said they wouldn't know it want really potatoes if I hadn't have told them.
    You can boil it, drain well then puree it to make mashed "fauxtatoes". Add desired seasonings and a little butter and you really wouldn't know the difference. Throw in some sour cream and bacon bits and call it a "fake baked" potato.
    I've made tortillas, a pizza crust and breadsticks using cauliflower. These are bit more time consuming to put together but it's worth the carbs you save.
    If anyone wants a recipe let me know. Too many to post if no one is interested...

14. zombiemom62

ok, since my trip to Aldi grocery store Friday, I have califlower in the fridge. So did you just do the fauxtatoe salad like regular but just used the califlower?

15. frawniemae

Yep....steam the cauliflower until just tender then mix with chopped onion, dill pickles, mustard,some mayo...season how you like.

16. zombiemom62

well I tried this with a regular sized potato in it too, and it didn't taste bad, I could use it as a side. But Frawnie, those peeps that told you they couldn't tell it from the real potato salad? they lied :)

17. frawniemae

Maybe so but they ate it anyway! It's all in the mind...the mindset is everything!

Quick and Easy Beef Stir Fry
    2 servings with 4 oz protein, 1 cup veggies each at @ 300 calories per servings
    1 lb top sirloin steak, cut into bite size strips
    3 T olive oil
    1 cup red bell
    pepper cut into small pieces
    1 cup bok choy, cut into small pieces
    2 cup broccoli, broken into small florets
    Sauce:
    3 T low sodium soy sauce (or Braggs Liquid Aminos)
    2 T honey mustard dressing, no or low sugar, if you can find it (I use Walden Farms Honey Dijon)
    2 T sugar free syrup
    1 tsp garlic poswder
    1 tsp onion powder

Heat oil or med high and stir fry meat until no longer pink. Add Veggies and stir fry about 3 minutes. Add sauce and seasonings. Stir well cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook another 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.

Attached Files:

18. zombiemom62

I stir fry quite a bit, it's just the rice that's the problem. Tried some Acorn squash and stuffed it with ground chicken and things, it turned out pretty good. Seems like there are lots of possibilities there.

19. frawniemae

That is what I love about stir frys...the possibilities are endless! I haven't eaten real rice in 10 months. I use cauliflower rice or shredded green cabbage that's been sauteed. filling but much much fewer carbs.

20. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Gonna read over this thread and possibly try out some of these.