Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Someone say heathy food?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by frawniemae, Sep 23, 2015.

1. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

A great side dish for a mexican meal:
    Coconut Lime Cilantro Caulirice

14 oz cauliflower, riced
    1 T olive oil
    1/2 small onion, chopped
    1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
    1 T lime juice
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1/4 tsp coconut extract
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat oil in large skillet on medium high. Stir fry riced cauliflower 10 minutes. Add onion and stir fry another 3 minutes.Add broth, extract, seasonings, cilantro and lime juice and continue to stir fry until caulirice is JUST beginning to brown. Serve immediately.
    Yields two 2 cup servings of veggie.

2. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Well I now have a refrigerator full of sliced turkey and other high protein meats, cupboard full of tuna.. Greek yogurt... I'm going to half ass it but I'm going to try to eat healthier. ..

3. frawniemae

Its been almost a year since I started my weight loss journey and although on some days it was really hard to stay strong and not cheat, it has been an amazing and "well worth it" lifestyle change! The last month or so I have let myself relax some and enjoyed some foods that were so not on my diet but I stayed in control and the weight kept coming off. I have proven to myself that I will be able to keep off the pounds. My way of eating...how I look and think about food....has been what will make the different in being successful for the long haul. allowing myself a cheat meal once or twice a month works for me as long as I get right back on track. I will never go back to cooking and eating the way I did that contributed to my massive weight problem. Fresh veggies, lean cuts of meat, no battered and fried goodies, no pasta and rich gravies or sauces. I am in control and plan on staying that way. I am healthier and happier than I've been in years. 136 pounds gone and still counting! It is amazing and slightly appalling that I have lost so much. I am about 30 pounds from my goal weight.

4. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Out f*cking standing!!!!!!

That is absolutely amazing!!! You should be proud! !! I hope that I can do that well!!

5. frawniemae

Thanks, @steely You can do it, too. If I can, ANYONE can. I recommend the Ideal Protein diet to everyone wanting to change their life.

6. Laurieellen

Laurieellen Well-Known Member

[MENTION=40551]frawniemae[/MENTION] that's awesome sauce! [MENTION=54441]steely[/MENTION] I need to lose 20, so I can have a wardrobe again. At this point, I'm Regina George in sweat pants. It's the only thing that fits!
    We will do it!

7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Woo hoo! You are an inspiration. What a strong person you are. Way to go!

8. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Well I've cut out soda, sugar and I'm eating a lot of protein in the form of chicken and tuna.. I've increased my water intake and hit the gym every day... so far so good.

9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

If you really want to get motivated to eat healthy, watch Fed Up on Netflix. I always knew processed foods weren't great for you but the extent of sugar that is added to food is appalling :-/. The statistics of type 2 diabetes among children in the US is sad too. After watching, I felt like eating fruits and vegetables for the rest of my life lol.

10. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

That is an amazing documentary, and while I'm just "eh" about Obama, I was always a huge Michelle fan and thought the first lady could do no wrong. After seeing that I was like "OMG, I feel so betrayed!".

11. TheWalkingHorn

Here's my morning smoothie recipe. I do one of these every morning and it keeps me full for so long, which is huge for me as I have a pretty hearty appetite.

**side note**: I use fresh produce that I cut up and freeze the night before, which makes for a frosty, but smooth breakfast. :)

1/2 a medium banana
    1 1/2 cups strawberries (I use these because they give you the most bang for your buck in terms of calories and sugar relative to taste. Blackberries are a little better I think, but they're bitter and seedy.)
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 scoop Vega Proteins and Greens protein powder
    1 tbsp ground golden flax seed (it's important to grind them into a powder, because your body can't digest the whole seeds. You can also use flax seed oil, but it's super expensive. It's so much cheaper to buy whole flax seeds in bulk and then grind them down to a powder yourself).

The main things I'm doing with my diet are trying to cut out all processed and added sugar. I'm sticking to 40% carbs, 30% fat (healthy like nuts and avocados), and 30% proteins for my macros.

Since this breakfast does contain a lot of natural sugar I try not to eat any more fruit during the day unless I get a sweet tooth craving in the evening. Better than ice cream, right?

Anyway, I lost 6 lbs last week with this jump start, which was probably mostly residual water weight, but I'll take what I can get. I'm trying to lose about 10 more lbs before the end of May when I'm going back to Chicago.

#71 TheWalkingHorn, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  12. steely

steely Well-Known Member

This sounds delicious to me.

13. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

hey Horn, sounds like you are back and track and doing well! Glad to hear it. just curious, what does the flax seed do?

14. TheWalkingHorn

A few things. It's full of fiber, which helps you stay fuller longer, and helps you... go. :)

Plus the omega 3 fatty acids in it are heart healthy and help to round out my macros for the day.

15. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

does it have any flavor? and does it help with cholesterol much? I may have to try it in a smoothie. how do you power it? a ninja or something?

16. TheWalkingHorn

Im not sure if it helps with cholesterol or not, but there is a lot of info about it on webmd. I use a nutribullet to blend the smoothies and to grind the seeds. They don't really have a flavor.

17. steely

steely Well-Known Member

They're opening a smoothie king near me. Are store bought smoothies as healthy as those you make yourself?

18. TheWalkingHorn

I think it really all depends on what they're putting in it. I would avoid any type of fruit juices as they have a ton of added sugar. I tend to stick with mainly just fruits and vegetables and no dairy. A lot of places offer dairy free options.

19. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks!

20. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I've been making a lot of vegan / vegetarian desserts lately, mostly raw too. I'll make sure to post a recipe when I get the brownies I'm working on right.