Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Steady road to a Change?

Discussion in 'Episode 808 - How It's Gotta Be' started by itsfoz, Dec 12, 2017.

1. itsfoz

itsfoz Member

I haven't used this forum in literally years but given the twist of Coral, I felt compelled to hve a brief look back here and offer my thoughts.

The show used to have answers, or as much as it could have for a fictional apocalypse just like the comics but more recently it really feels Gimple has given up with rational thinking completely and opted for a 'if its popular, leave it be' approach whereby this is redundant because the fanbase will always be there. I mean, what the holy **** at Eugene getting them all out? - why Old Man Rick if it's not happening (no point pleasing the comic fans with this because it's a given the fair will happen in someway shape or form if the programme still exists at this point) - what was the other flash forward/back of Rick crying at the start of the series amongst the Old Man Rick clips? I'm assuming it's an unseen clip of his reaction to Alexandria being on fire but that's a total guess. And oh for ****s sake, don't have as many gun fights where neither party dies in a bid to keep the major characters alive. Just don't have guns in these fights or don't have the fights at all. I mean, Rick or Negan had ample time to shoot either one of each other the other night and yes, progression of story and yes, these fights have to happen but god almighty remove the gun equation from them or lower them because the fans know they're not dying, casual watchers know the programme's got a shelf life of another 5 at least years so don't treat us dumb for gods sake.

Despite all this, I must say I thought E08 was the best of the season but if I see another face close-up montage I might be giving up my will to live.

Anyway, moving on to the point of this thread - given many peoples distaste for recent episodes/seasons, do we think Gimple will be a Goner soon or is he to stay until the show becomes kaput?

2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

LOL

3. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

I honestly think the rest of the powers at AMC need to really look at the reactions to events like what's happening with Carl and see how damaging it really is to the show, to all that is TWD honestly since he basically just spit in the face of Kirkman/Adlard and everyone who's worked so hard on the comic. He hasn't much respect for the comic storyline, which I know is altered for the show but should still be a consistent baseline in the long run. He's pissed fans off beyond belief more than once, but this one really takes the cake (or pudding, if you wish). And I really think he just can't see that man he EFFED UP biiiiigtime. That's the scary part.

They need to fire Mr. Pimple and work with some better showrunners. I wonder what the show would have been like at this point with Darabont still in the picture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

The problem is they just won't let him go. AMC thinks completely different. They love Simple so much he is actually the new show runner for FTWD

• Like Like x 1
  5. BetterAngel

@Jag. Ugh I know. And I'm personally not even really a FTWD fan. I watched the first season and just couldn't get into it. Now with Morgan going to be in it, I am almost gonna have to watch to see what happens with him. (Which I know, is exactly what the Gimples of the world want, dammit all!)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I was gonna do the same thing! Just quote that part and say LOL. LOL :p

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Officially the new showrunners for Fear the Walking Dead are Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg (I think they were the runners for Once Upon A Time) and Gimple is noted as an executive producer as is Dave Ericskson. Time will tell how much of a voice he has over the actual showrunners

And just FYI Dave Erickson is adapting the David Cronenberg book Consumed for AMC

#7 Dnae, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BetterAngel

@Dnae Really? Well ya it should be interesting to see how much Gimple butts in or if he just lets them do their jobs. Maybe they can somehow salvage the mangled storyline that Gimple just ruined and bring the show back to glory again. I love the show and will watch it to the end no matter what, I really just hate some of the decisions Pimple made.

9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Oh I think you misunderstood me :oops:, those are the new showrunners for Fear the Walking Dead

EDIT: I did go back and make it clear that I was referring to FTWD in regard to new show runners

• Like Like x 1
  10. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

I really believe that comic fans really way overestimate how much most fans care about the comic storyline. The only comic I have read is issue 1 that I got free on kindle. My wife, who got me into watching it. knows nothing of the comics. Almost all of the people I know that watch the show are the same way. If they know any of the comic storyline at all it came after they knew the TV show.

I am not saying that some may be upset or even mad about Carl for instance, but it does not in any way come from a sense of outrage that the sanctity of the comic canon has been violated. Not at all.

I will bet the percentage of people that watch the show that have read the comics too, either before or after they started the show, is very low. Message boards like this arre not a representation of the population.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

LMAO at Simple and Pimple.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BetterAngel

You'd be surprised how many here, and that watch the show, do it because of the comic. And even if you know nothing of the comic, there still needs to be at least some degree of realization that Carl was still a huuuuge part of the show's future, he has been the one main inspiration for Rick to keep going and to build a safer better world. So even if we don't bring the comic into this at all, they still made a huge mistake by killing off the one person who is literally the future of the show, and the biggest part of Rick's life and motivation. And even if you don't read the comic, you need to realize that IS where the show came from, it's basis, and I just feel that some parts (not all though), the core, key parts should be respected or integrated in some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BetterAngel

@Dnae, ya you did say they were for Fear....sorry! Idk, I may have to suck it up and start watching that show past Season 1, which is all I could get past. Am I wrong for not liking it? Does it get any better? I'd really hate to not be able to see what happens with Morgan.

14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I read up until All Out War (started reading around season 4).

I would be one of those people who really does not care if the comic story line is followed. Especially with some of the material coming up in regard to the tv timeline - hoping they bypass that arc all together.

I will even go so far as to say that while the death of Carl was sad (and will be even more so in episode 9) I am not bent out of sorts about it. I liked the character of Carl well enough but I just do not see him as being instrumental in moving the (tv) story forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I enjoyed season 1 of Fear but admit that I was not WOWED by it. Season 2 was okay - certainly not horrible or even bad - but entertaining enough to keep watching

And when season 3 premiered it became quite evident that my commitment to the series had paid off. Season 3 was excellent! I would encourage you to watch the series knowing that when you get to season 3 there will be a pay off

BTW - my mention of Fear in the post about the show runners was due to me going back and correcting my post - it was misleading and quite understandable that you would have thought I was talking about TWD. Was my goof and I am so glad that because you quoted me I was able to go back and make the necessary correction :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

I think this is the core. Comic readers feel this way, but to be honest, you are really a small minority.

I am not even implying that you don't have a point, but to the vast majority of viewers it is irrelevant.

I just found this on the web:

"Image has announced that with 730,000 copies ordered, February’s THE WALKING DEAD #163 is the Direct Market’s highest ordered comic in nearly 20 years"

This record number pales in comparison to the amount of viewers, even considering the fall off in ratings.

The vast majority don't know and don't care.

17. BetterAngel

Well you also have a bunch of people like myself, who read them online so that number doesn't reflect all the comic readers. But I see your point. I do know many of the show fans are only fans of the show while the hardcore fans read both the comic and watch the show. I just think that since the WD was conceived from the comic itself, some parts of the source need to be preserved. That's why George RR Martin was so involved, and so strict about how HBO wrote Game of Thrones. He didn't want his story to be totally redone and changed drastically. I think that perhaps that's the stance Kirkman should've made with AMC about TWD.

18. Lindigo

The phrasing was so funny, it made me laugh--and I personally don't mind the close-ups at all. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I demand more close ups of this gorgeous face!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Lindigo