Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

steel walls 15' high by 12' long......

Discussion in 'Episode 511 - The Distance' started by gavuk, Feb 25, 2015.

1. gavuk

gavuk Member

So who built it and how was in built in silence and not attracting walkers?

I sense TWD TV magic has occurred......

Come on (and i know zombies aren't real) we still need some some reality in this fictional show

2. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

3. gavuk

gavuk Member

Love it CheesyBirdMess.

Like Ricks everlasting supply of bullets in six shooter and a car that hasn't been started for 2 years goe on the first turn of the key....

Keep it real

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You might be forgetting that TWD is a show about odds. Just being alive puts you at a less than 1 in 1000 odds position. So assume that for every 50 attempts at building some kind of a nice secure wall, 49 fail and 1 succeeds. That's why they are so rare. So we found the one of the ones that succeeded. I think in reality, with survivors still alive all over the country, we should expect at least a handful of projects like this to succeed. So we travelled through a couple states and found one. :)

5. Neuropyramidal

One thing I will say though is that panels whose height is greater than their width may be a bit unstable.

6. Hershell Walker

That would maybe be the case if it was just one panel sitting by itself. However when the panels are hitched together (which is what I'm guessing was done here because you wouldn't want openings in these walls) then they act as a unit and transfer loads between each other, making them stronger against any force applied to them by anything from the outside.

Judging by the pictures Aaron showed to Michone it looked like those were some sort of L-shaped bunker panels that looked something like this

[​IMG]

As you can see those are way more tall than they are wide, but since they have a base they can stand up straight without someone having to worry about them toppling over. Then ones Aaron showed also looked like they had a reinforcing steel bar between the 2 adjacent sides making them even more sturdy.

Take my word for it I'm a Civil Engineer :Grin:

7. Neuropyramidal

You'd be right if the hitched spots were the strong point of the structure, but I think as we'll see later on, they actually aren't hitched together well. So in the case here, making the panels taller than they are wide is still a situation of less stability. And if you look at the Gin property pictures, they are just flat panels, not L shaped.

8. halcyon

halcyon Member

Comic spoilers

9. Neuropyramidal

Indeed that one was of the reasons.

10. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Where would you get steel walls from to begin with? Was someone in the community a semi-truck driver loading hall for bridge or skyscraper construction??

11. Ed Dim

Ed Dim Member

Yes, I believe that's how it was explained in the comics. They got the materials from a large building site.

12. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

It's possible that whatever instinct is driving the migration of the walkers prevented large groups from descending on Alexandria. So, maybe there were never more than a handful of walkers around at any one time to be drawn to the construction noise.

Or, perhaps the proximity to Washington DC gave them more of an opportunity to build fortifications. There would have no doubt been a huge military presence to hold the capital, and the surrounding area would have likely been the last human controlled area to fall to the walkers. So, they had time to fortify. And even after the fall, the walker population outside of downtown Washington DC would have probably been significantly depleted for the short term, and it would have been easy for the people of Alexandria to scavenge weapons, ammunition, food, and even engineering equipment from the military.

#12 maxlvtrojan, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  13. FutureApocalyps

All great points

14. Screaminleeman

More likely, even Zombies have higher standards that wanting to get stuck in the largest collection of politicians and lawyers on Earth!

J/K In reality, just like the Governor said, a body of water like the Potomac would at least control the direction of approach from the Zombie horde.

15. WalkerSlayer

WalkerSlayer Member

Yup, the comic also briefly covers how the walls were built.

16. Bhante

Bhante Member

#1 - Why build the wall 15' tall and 12' wide? The individual sections should have been laid on their sides. Walkers can't climb and the wall would have been more efficient with wider lengths not taller heights.

#2 - Why are the support poles on the outside of the wall? As seen at the prison, the weight of hundreds of walkers pushing against the wall from the outside drops walls (basic leverage).

#3 - Why is the tall tower which is great for observation outside the wall? It is just to the left of the entrance near the solar panels).

#16 Bhante, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015