Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Strand is such a great addition.

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - Monster' started by Ionut, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

TWD we saw the adaptations of mostly ordinary, everyday benevolent people in the main group and their evolution into hardened survivors. We saw people like the Governor as well, but he also came from a background of an ordinary person and the apocalypse brought out both the best in him and more importantly - the worst in him.

The Governor to start with likely was likely holding onto the methods of the previous society, at least in the sense of the customs of where he sat in the middle class and was likely doing everything he could to both survive and help other survivors. The Terminus before they evolved into psycho cannibals were doing just that, but were given a hard lesson in reality.

Rick's group to start with the Randall thing and so on weeks into the Apocalypse were the biggest example of not facing the new reality and holding onto a shattered reality, which was shattered many times over the course of the show in seeing the new reality in it's most poetically brutal fashion. This is how a local sheriff with a good heart and honest intentions turns into a man who will kill any perceived threat at the drop of a pin.

These character transformations are the primary reasons most of us are so deeply interested in the Walking Dead Universe.

Then we have Strand!

It's glorious! Even to a lesser extent - Salazar.

Characters that already have experienced the real deal ugliness of humanity and it's cut throat side and are therefore most mentally prepared for the collapse of law/order, walking corpses, mayhem, murdering mauraders and all of the goodies before even having to experience the stuff that ordinary people would need to adapt.

The truth is that the higher you go in society via money and power, especially if political power is involved, that the more you would be experiencing ruthlessness, stealing, lying, cheating, conniving and even killing or threat of... than the ordinary middle class person.

Strand is mysterious but we can surmise all sorts of things as to how he accrued his wealth. It could be either legitimate, or illegal. It could be political, it could be.... well, it's exciting to think about what they will reveal in this season and his cool and totally collected demeanor and lack of pathological altruism and compassion for anything not helpful to him were factors indented into his brain long, long before the apocalypse and factors that make him most equipped to survive.

Men of power do not attain it by being "nice". His advice to his current companions on the boat to not talk to people shows he's 100% correct in that they need to quietly get to where they are going and not stop, not talk to people and not open themselves up to risk.

Now, I am not praising those types in reflection to how they are in our world, but it is fact and is it amazing to get a character that is from the jump mentally where our Walking Dead characters years deep into their experiences.

People like Salazar and hardened military types are as well stuff we didn't see in TWD. I hope that they run into military remnants and show the apocalypse from their perspective.

Awesomeness. New stuff!

2. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I have to praise the actor that portrays Strand - Colman Domingo - he has the calculating, calm and manipulative modern man of wealth & power nailed.

He was a bit cartoony in his appearance in the previous season, chalk that up to still working out the character.

This is excellent and exciting stuff after the dreadful finale we just experienced in Walking Dead.

Writers/Creators, please keep it interesting and do not make it gimmicky or sucky. :)

3. Mother dick

Mother dick Member

Him and Salazar are the best characters....by far. Travis and Nick has some potential. The nagging, worrier mom and emo kids are starting to become really grating, given that they have not changed ONE bit since episode one of season one.

4. Chassit

Chassit Member

They are real idiots, I agree.

5. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I like Strand too. They would all be pretty much dead without him. Hopefully the writers wont ruin Strand like they did on TWD with Morgan.

6. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I have a feeling the mom will end up developing into a ruthless badass. Travis is already coming around. Travis' other son is a retard and won't last, Nick has some potential.

Indeed. But given some time real idiots in Walking Dead evolved into some awesome characters. It still is the early days of the global meltdown, earlier than the pilot of Walking Dead.

That is the thing - they would be dead. He made that clear.

In similar concept to many discussions involving Walking Dead scenarios, a ruthless attitude in anarchy is not negotiable if you want to survive - it is necessity. Likewise a ruthless attitude in high level business is necessity.

Morgan started out a normal man, not too bright, but normal and noble in Season 1. Strand starts out as already extremely cerebral and intelligent.

There's a massive difference in someone's origins between an ordinary middle class person and a person like Strand who rose from blue collar to high level(very difficult to do, which is why rags to riches is a very small percentage of people and only the talented and brilliant do so), so they may very well **** his character up, but it couldn't be anything like mental midget Morgan.

I have some faith in this show since it doesn't need to follow a comic arc, they have free will to do whatever. Some of the comic scenario's in Walking Dead don't transfer well to the small screen and that's been one factor that contributes to some of the problems, although smaller than incompetent writing itself.

They can go raw on this show.

After the end of Season 1 last year for FTWD which seemed rushed and wasn't without flaw, I said my biggest hopes were that they'd develop Season 2 very well and that we'd see a group that is starting out in a more ruthless way to see how that evolves over a timeline, rather than a group starting out "learning on the job".

I am pleased to see in Episode 1 that these may come true.

Additionally:

MTito94 - For the Morgan apologists and faux-compassion SJW/PC types especially, in their infinite delusion, it is pleasing to see FTWD start off with Alicia trying to do something "nice" for others against the clear warnings of Strand's much more knowledgeable position, only to draw in hostile pirates to herself.

Haha, and this isn't even a month into the global meltdown!

The most annoying point of view that plagues the human condition is that intentions are more important than the actual results. If someone means well(or rather pretends to mean well) then it was the right thing even if it causes destruction and if someone held a non-compassionate view(many times just simple misinterpreted by fools) point that saves your ass then it's still wrong because of it's non-compassionate source.

This is idiocy at it's finest.

#6 Ionut, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  7. Chassit

Chassit Member

[MENTION=95192]Ionut[/MENTION] I was going to multi-quote your post, but you nailed everything on the head. Especially after your edit, I just could not agree more.

8. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Cheers. Always nice to exchange rational view points!

9. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

With that wool knit cap on, Strand looks like Tyreese's relative. Anyone thinks the same?

10. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

@Ionut I totally agree wholeheartedly with everything.. One of the things that you mentioned was that you have some faith in this show since it doesn't need to follow a comic arc, they have free will to do whatever. Some of the comic scenario's in Walking Dead don't transfer well to the small screen and that's been one factor that contributes to some of the problems, although smaller than incompetent writing itself."

That is a great point that is so important and almost makes it more enjoyable of an overall experience of watching FTWD.. It is so refreshing to not have to deal with spoilers and have to play the constant game of Who is going to Die next.....and that is the part that does not translate well from a comic to a live action show..

In the comics when a character dies they are replaced with another comic 2 dimensional character...not that hard to do. But, in live action sometimes that character is played by a great actor with tremendous charisma who is impossible to replace, like many of the original cast from early on in TWD.. Hopefully, because it's not based on a comic, FTWD wont fall into the same traps TWD did..

11. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Agreed. Totally.

They've got a fresh slate and a very interesting back drop here on the West Coast and at sea to do some cool stuff. They've got several completely potentially amazing characters.

To me it would be harder to mess it up than make it good. It's a survival drama/action/horror show, it doesn't take Stanley Kubrick like multi dimension to make something exciting and good in this concept. Just no stupidity, like the season finale of TWD we just saw, haha.

12. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Yes. Strand is on point. Hope they don't ruin him.

13. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Strand is definitely the best character they have at the moment, already thought he was the most interesting character in the first season. He's a smooth talker and is obviously the most prepared of them all to survive in a world as theirs. I really wonder what they're going to do with this character throughout the show, hopefully they don't ruin him.

What I think many of the TWD fans are doing wrong when watching this show is comparing every single thing to the original series. For example, many are complaining about the kids being weak and "emo" and the mum being whiny and not changing a bit ever since the apocalypse started. Are we forgetting that with the original series, we kind of jumped in late and many of the original characters were also kind of weak-minded at the start? Even in S6 we are still a little discussing the decision-making and whether it was humane or unnecessary. Look at it however you want, but it took some members of Rick & Co also quite some time to adjust and become less emotionally involved with the situations they're in.

Another difference is that the original group in TWD already started off fending for themselves outside Atlanta, with a man with knowledge and leadership such as Shane himself, and that the group we're speaking of now has been shielded for most part as they were "sheltered" for a while. They haven't been out in the open fending for themselves as long just yet.

Daniel is obvious, he's already seen how cold and harsh the world was before the dead showed up which is a huge advantage compared to the others. He's accepted the world has already ended and is ready to adjust to it; yet, it seems he lets the others do mostly whatever floats their boat and doesn't really care for most matters going on.

Nick has a lot of potential, which Strand obviously sees in him. Some of his biggest flaws before the world ended will likely become his strongest qualities now. For example, he's not afraid to die. Also, while he might've been ruined by drugs before, he seems like a smart kid.

Travis is redeeming himself a little and seems to realize now that their world has changed and their beliefs and emotions must often be set aside for the sake of survival. He's kinda neutral IMO, I don't find him really interesting but he's ok.

Chris is just in a bad place right now, what we should not forget is that we're only like two weeks in and only a few hours ago his father (mercy) killed his mum. He's angry and he's grieving, and he's also still just a kid. I wouldn't say he's got a real idiot and has to go soon yet. I think he's behaving pretty realistic.

Alicia is naive which is also not unrealistic at all, however I think she might be a future badass. She made a really dumb decision by going around telling a stranger what kind of boat they're on and letting them become aware of their location; she was also naive by thinking rescuing all those people would be a good idea, but hey, how many of us would really act any different?

As for Salazar's daughter there's not much to tell yet so far in this season. She seemed to have potential last season.

I really don't think we're able to judge just yet whether they are real idiots or nah. For most part, they seem fairly realistic. I think that if this really happened to me I would also be in between being the idiot thinking we could save people and knowing deep down that will form a threat soon enough.

#13 Sachiko, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  14. Ron Lambert

Ron Lambert Member

I like strand also... good voice... He is like Morgan Freeman...

He DID_ make one HUGE_ mistake this last episode.
    Strand: " You talked to them?"
    Dumb bitch : "yes"
    Strand: " Did you tell them anything about us"
    Dumb bitch: "nothing important."

___ At this point- the only question Strand should have asked... " HOW did you talk to them?"

Dumb bitch: " On this portable CB... HEy.. .give that back."

Strand holds up his pimp slappin hand and Dumb bitch falls silent...with a glaring look at each of them around the room, he unplugs the microphone and tosses it to the dumb bitch.. walking off with the CB portion.

----

but other than that... yea AWESOME Guy.

15. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Yes, I thought interrogating her further on what she told, especially understanding that these clowns wanted to help the stranded raft.

It should be automatically assumed she caused trouble and I'd shift my course to the destination.

16. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

In any societal meltdown scenario where I have something others want and I have no idea who or what they are, I can confidently say I'd act differently and not make the others aware to me. If I had a boat and saw a sinking raft full of additional "who knows what" people in it, I'd keep going.

Now, in the real world that we exist in that's different. A mayday call for help you'd respond to. People stranded on a raft you'd pick up. Someone wounded in the street, you'd call for help.... and so on.... there's little risk there and you'd be terrible to not help. You have a greater society and services to help you help them.

But societal meltdown and anarchy is an extreme situation. It's early on of course but they've seen cannibal walking corpses, the military slaughtering people and the military bombing everything with complete and total meltdown. Put 2+2 together = "I'm not going to draw attention to ourselves while we're escaping bombed LA and a horde of zombies".

So she is not only naive, she is lacking in grey matter between her head.

17. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

HaHaHa..... Now that would have been a great scene !