Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Strand

Discussion in 'Episode 105 - Cobalt' started by Neuropyramidal, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Here is an article that has some very vague info about Strand, and his reason for being in custody. He was "in the wrong place at the wrong time" apparently.

Another odd thing in this article is that Dave Erickson claims that Nick has been living on the street for 6 years. Yet his official age is only 19, and Tobias said Nick was a senior in high school when Tobias himself was a freshman. If Nick made it through his senior year of high school, and is still only 19, he could not have been living on the street for any longer than 1.5 to 2 years.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-ticking-clock-827484

2. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

How many banker/CEO/financial assholes have we seen so far ?

Kill all of them.

3. Hope the Savior

That interview concerns me for two reasons: Nick's living situation and the statement about zombies in the F/TWD universe. Technically, Erickson stated that Nick had been living on the streets for the better part of six years: "...with the exception of Nick, who has been on the streets for the better part of the last six years..." I'm having a hard time reconciling how Nick could have possibly lived on the streets for so long yet not fallen behind in school (i.e., been a senior at the usual age range).

What really bothered me, though, was the zombie statement. Erickson also said, "None of our characters have seen The Walking Dead. Would they have seen zombie films? I'm sure that they did..." But in The Wrap article, from a few years ago, Kirkman stated that "they're not familiar with zombies, per se" and further explained that "these people don't understand the situation. They've never seen this in pop culture, this is a completely new thing for them." I feel as if Erickson's statement conflicts a bit with F/TWD universe's "unfamiliarity with zombies" mythos. (I know Kirkman primarily focused on George Romero's zombie films, in his explanation, but I still have a problem with Erickson's statement. I think it construes Travis' actions more as a delusional dolt who won't change and less as a hopeful man, with a strong moral foundation, who struggles to adapt.)

Minus those two points, I rather enjoyed the article, and I'm even more pumped about a Strand-Daniel interaction. I know Erickson didn't promise that those two would meet up, but it seems likely and I hope they do. (I've been imagining their interaction since the moment Strand mentally tore down poor, poor Doug and Daniel's true nature was revealed.) I want to see how deftly Strand reads Daniel and interacts with someone of his character.

(Link to The Wrap article: https://www.thewrap.com/why-walking-dead-walkers-are-called-walkers-and-an-episode-3-preview-video/)

#43 Hope the Savior, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

In a show focused on two inner city school workers and their family? Predictably, not many.

5. itsfoz

itsfoz Member

His first speech mentioned 'wolves at the door' - not being 'that guy' but I reckon he'll escape next week, not to be seen for much more of the episode and a possible wolf in passing in TWD.

6. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

from this I would assume that they mean that Nick was "living" on the streets even during high school. I could see him not coming home every night and skipping school a lot. I'm sure with his mother and step father involved in the school system they could probably help him to get through his senior year regardless of his grades and attendance

7. Neuropyramidal

Well, if he was doing this behavior for almost 6 years, it would mean it had been going on since 9th grade. I think it was just a mistake on the showrunner's part to claim it was that long.

8. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I don't buy the six years thing. Nick referred to himself as a community college dropout. He must have been living at home at some point, trying to get clean.

9. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I don't understand the issue here?
    Why is it not feasible that he has been living on the streets for 6 years on and off?

Herion can be addictive from the very first use and plenty of kids younger than 13 try it these days.

Nick also could have gotten out of high school early and tried college briefly before devoting his life more completely to his hobby.
    Lots of kids who are too smart for their own good do this too.

#49 EZD, Sep 29, 2015
  10. Neuropyramidal

Well, saying 'living on the streets for the better part of six years' I think implies more than just an occasional night away from home. It would be difficult to complete high school if you were on the streets for the better part of that time. Kids try it as young as 13, sure, but to start at 13 and then live on the streets for the better part of the time thereafter would make it almost impossible to finish high school, not to mention start college. I personally just think that Dave misspoke. Maybe he was thinking about the fact that its been six years since Nick's dad died.

11. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Maybe but Maybe not?

My Sister works with Teens and Families with these drug problems and I promise you it is feasible that he indeed has been an Urchin of the Street and still completed High School and tried to start College.

Happens all the time.

12. Neuropyramidal

Theoretically possible, but definitely not the norm for someone on the streets. It really doesn't make much sense that someone would be able to have appropriate attendance at school, without having a home. If a kid is going to school and keeping tabs with a family counselor he likely has some type of sheltered living situation, even if its some sort of government subsidized home for teens.

I think its more likely Dave misspoke. That happens even more often. :p

#52 Neuropyramidal, Sep 29, 2015
  13. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Which is just your opinion too.

Also that tenacity despite the preoccupation of addiction to heroin is one reason that Nick seems so appealing to Strand I think.
    He knows that a good addict is capable of punching way above his weight class.

14. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Being "on and off" the streets for six years is more palatable.

15. Neuropyramidal

lol, and yours is just your opinion.

Your opinion is actually extremely unlikely. A person would not likely finish high school truly living on the streets. See my last post above, I edited it.

16. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, if Dave clarified and said he meant that Nick would just disappear for short periods occasionally, I'd buy it. The way it was worded doesn't support that, but I could buy that. Maybe more of Nick's history will come out in dialogue during S2.

17. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

LOL right back at you?
    Yes it is just my opinion but also more probable than the dead rising to eat the living so I have that going for me too.

Anyway just my thoughts based on my experience and I am also grateful that you don't feel the need to always have the last word.:Grin:

18. Neuropyramidal

lol, taking the discussion personally are you? Did you want the last word for yourself it seems? ;)

Anyway, yes, most things are more probable than the dead rising to eat the living.

I think the argument stems mostly from different interpretations of what Dave said. If he actually meant that Nick, just occasionally disappeared for short periods for those years, then its plausible. But if he meant what he said about 'the better part' of that time living on the streets, no its extremely unlikely he could finish high school.

Either way, I think we can all agree that if beets gave you the same high as heroin, but without the addiction or withdraw, we would all eat healthier. ;)

19. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

How did you know I despise Beets?

20. Neuropyramidal

Because I checked your urine and is was nice and yellow. ;)