Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Stupidest Survivors So Far

Discussion in 'Episode 208 - Grotesque' started by Terminator, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Ok. So are the highway outlaws the stupidest survivors we've seen yet on FTWD? Standing in the road, loading your gun as a herd walks up to you and starts gnawing on you. And the other guy, the fat one, with the loaded rifle gets swarmed? Why aren't you at least reloading from the jeep or heading back to it? Thought that was kind of lame unless someone else can point out some reasoning.

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Nope totally agree. I was thinking "ok you started off a good ways away from them, and you end up getting eaten by slow shambling walkers who sure as hell weren't sneaking up on you.....riiiiiiight."

3. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Agree this was as stupid as I can remember so far?

In the Talking Dead they claimed the guys were so shocked and disoriented by the realization that Nick was alive and walking with them that they froze?
    WTF? how far a stretch can you imply and how were we supposed to get that one?

4. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Yeah this scene was terrible. There is absolutely no reason that these guys should have been attacked. They had PLENTY of time to get out of the way. I was basically reminded of the steamroller scene from Austin Powers. The explanation that they were 'shocked' by Nick walking with the walkers is absurd. I mean...yeah, it would be a bit shocking. But SOOO shocking that you absolutely freeze for 30 seconds when there's a herd of 15 walkers coming straight at you? Come on now.

[video=youtube;OdctnPIR5kA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdctnPIR5kA[/video]

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This sort of thing happens on TWD sometimes too, to an extent. But FTWD seems to take it to further extremes. Like Reed somehow being able to bite not only Conner, but also one of Conner's thugs, even though his arms were tied behind his back, and they had ample time to react.

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

We don't know what goes on inside of the heads of the characters... it did look pretty stupid, yeah. One possible answer as to why they didn't retreat is because they were in a state of shock or didn't expect to be overwhelmed so quickly. But that's at a stretch.

7. Uh Clem

Uh Clem New Member

I especially agree with this last clause - having the producer show up and utter this stupidity shows that, yes, Writers have huge horizons for The Stupidest Writing Possible.

This TALKING DEAD was pretty strategic in some ways - our host asked Kim Dickens a question about Madison's future, and she had to check over and over with Mr. Idiot Producer before stammering out answers. And he seemed as uncertain about how much was to be disclosed, too.

DaNay Garcia sounded awfully 'forced' in her ramblings but I gave her a ton of leeway since she's still new to all of this. But that Producer has said some pretty dumb things and lowers his intelligence level every time I see him on that couch.

Back to the original point, though, I don't think I'd vote for "The Dumbest Of All". I think we've seen plenty of really dumb behaviors written in for characters. The fight on the pier, for example, was another of this "so shocked that I'm frozen in place!" mode, too, and this time one of the gunsels charges after Travis for some reason. Like, what was that going to accomplish?!!

Alex making Burn Boy bake and toast and suffer, while murdering two raftmates so Burn Boy suffered more. That's totally dumb UNLESS she was going to pull a WORLD WAR Z solution and say, "All severely burned humans are now immune from the Virus, so I must save Burn Boy forever!!" Uh... yeah... riiiight.

Carol in WALKING DEAD has demonstrated some pretty dumb behaviors, thanks to the writers. Then some amazingly smart ones. (I suspect they use two teams of writers, neither of whom communicate with the other from one episode to the other and give Genius then Dumb standings to alternating characters.)

The dumbest? Oh... I dunno. I have faith that these writers can come up with something far more dumb than we've ever seen before.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yawn.

9. PepperAnn

Just curious, why are you still watching?

10. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

He's probably still watching, like I am, because "hope dies hard in the human heart." And, from my perspective, as noted above, there were some interesting things about this episode.

11. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I think the show started with promise but has deflected into no man's land. I still watch just to see if it will get any better. This episode didn't provide much other than more far fetched scenario's and bad pacing around an uninteresting character.

12. PepperAnn

I get that. And believe me, I've had my own issues with the show and voiced them here. But what I don't get is why someone deliberately starts a forum account solely to bash a show over and over. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion sure, but I'll never understand why someone would take the time to join a forum just to trash a show. Don't you join a forum because you love a show.....and maybe get upset about certain things and voice them down the line?

I would think if someone doesnt like a show from the get-go they'd just move on and wash their hands of it instead of wasting their time on something they don't like it the first place. Don't people have better things to do?

13. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

I personally think Fear is the second weakest show on AMC (Feed the Beast was a chore). When shows like Preacher or Better Call Saul have more interesting plot choices and smarter characters, thats a problem. Not saying Fear sucks. I like it well enough. But its still a very flawed show.

14. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I'm still watching only in case there's ever a crossover with TWD. I know, chances are slim and I'd better do something else with the little time I have on this Earth because damn that show is crap. I thought it could only get better, how foolish of me, that last episode was beyond stupid. :)

15. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

Yeah gotta agree with everyone. That was one of the most stupid scenes, if not The Most stupid scene I have ever seen on this show. And this show has a LOT of them. Way, way more than TWD. It is beyond my understanding how TWD can be such an awesome show and FTWD can be so - not. The one big difference between the two shows is the original is following the comics (more or less) but FTWD they don't have that to fall back on. So the producers are making this up as they go along? If so thank all the gods that they weren't producing TWD on their own.

16. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Frustration with the fact that the premise of the show could have yielded something really great and on level with The Walking Dead - perhaps even better. The person's probably a disgruntled TWD fan that had hopes it'd be great.

Los Angeles, start of the outbreak, a new group with different disposition and experiences.

There's just so much cool stuff that could be done with that. S1 was weak but not a disaster, this season started off decent and had some elements that I liked and was showing promise despite cardboard characters that few people can empathize... then we hit the Death Cult and it's just meh.

I definitely can see why someone would want to express annoyance with ruining such an amazing concept.

17. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Not having to follow Comics would be a strength in the hands of someone that would have green lit edgy and compelling writing. The thing I don't understand is how you have a spin off of the most successful TV show of all time via ratings and therefore a built in audience who's going to give millions of viewers...

Come out with something radical. It doesn't have to be hyper intellectual or anything, because TWD certainly is not - although elements of it are, which is why people like me and some of the other hyper analytical people can discuss some of the layered scenes and character development til we're blue in the face. Fear is just low brow dumb shit.

The Fear producers could have contacted this message board to get better episode concepts than they've had.

It should have been a S1 a slow build into the apocalypse to where we really see things crumble and in tense fashion with a lot of emotion. Even with these characters(maybe not so much the actors except for a few), that would have hooked people. The level of tension I am talking about is the same in TWD S1. What they did instead was just show a few elements of society falling and then we're in a National Guard safe zone and uninteresting plot devices... although the Season Finale was all right and it kept me interested to see where they go.

S1 should have been at least 10 episodes with the gradual fall of society and ending on the global outbreak with tense stuff and good character development. This should have been highly psychological, setting it up to be a more tense thriller version of the TWD Universe which would bring in even scarier scenario's with both the undead and people.

S2 the idea to start it on water was awesome and I posted threads about the elements I was enjoying. But the characters are cardboard cut outs by now and the writing is just juvenile Phantom Menace level generic junk.

If you have a guaranteed audience of millions to start off with, producing a great product will = long term success. You don't have to worry as much about short attention spans like you would on a totally new and unknown product.

The only explanation for such incompetence is that in having an assured money maker made them lazy.

18. PepperAnn

Your opinion of the show is kinda where I was at at the end of S2A. I ADORED season 1 and started scratching my head in the middle of season 2A. It started to feel like they were just setting up to mimic TWD but more amateur and with some weird derailings along the way. The cult thing really made me roll my eyes but in the break I started to think about what this could mean for Nick since he thought Celia had a plausible argument about how the infected should be regarded. I think they can go to very interesting places if they do it right so I am keeping an open mind.

Your post is the kind of post that can be genuinely replied to and respected. Posts the other dude keeps putting out there.....those are just annoying to me. But that's just me. lol

19. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

The show is not that good and most people watch it for the same reason I do, because its better than NO walking dead at all. TWD is my favorite show and I stopped in the middle of a Preacher marathon to watch this episode of fear the walking dead and I just couldn't wait for it to be over so I could get back to preacher. I'm grateful to have a spin off show and even would like more walking dead spin off shows but they aren't doing great things with this show.

20. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Cheers. Some people just aren't good at expressing themselves, but are still correct, lol.

I very much hope that the show has a huge turn around and evolves into something good, it's why I've continued. This past episode wasn't completely dreadful, it just was a bit boring and more of the same kind of semi-nauseating lazy writing.

Nick as a character could have been very interesting and I see what they're trying to do with this, but they've made him unlikable instead of deranged and multi dimensional. They've made him stupid, instead of tortured but smart. The Celia on treating the Walkers as real humans is a concept that was already tried in several instances in TWD - not with the cult religion, but with delusion(early Hershel). It's a good early story arc, but it's done here not too bright like the rest of it.

Strand and Salazar are good characters, but they've derailed those guys also to a certain degree and have made them both more petty. Strand initially was characterized as TWD universe's first wealthy/powerful survivor and his demeanor reflected that and I though that was a very interesting point in the show, especially during the final episode of S1 and then thru the first few of S2. Salazar an ex-Military soldier or officer in a brutal Central American conflict and regime was also a character of immense potential.

Halfway thru S2 of Walking Dead, we were all hooked by all kinds of drama and character developments. Here we have what I've described.

I wish they'd have made FTWD a slower and more intelligent psychological series based on the fall of civilization. It really could have been a unique experience and the character types they had set up:

- Generic LA dad
    - Generic LA teacher mom
    - Central American war vet
    - Wealthy ruthless man
    - Drug addict
    - Psycho son

And then pick up more interesting people along the way - could have evolved into us following the group that goes bad. One of these guys could have turned into the West Coast Governor....

Don't mean to rant, but with a clean slate and no comic to follow it just could have been compelling horror/survival TV that could have exceeded TWD even if they had top writers and directing.