Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[Suggestion] A Reasonable Way to Deal With KoS

Discussion in 'Z1: Battle Royale' started by Dealman, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Dealman

Dealman New Member

Introduction

Being a vivid player of zombie survival games, I've found ups and downs with most of them but there is always one thing they have in common and that is the rate of KoS - Kill on Sight.

More specifically, people that will shoot any player they spot simply out of being a douche(they think they're being trolls/griefers) or to protect their gear.

Now, usually I'm fine with this in a game such as H1Z1 where there is absolutely no way to tell if a player is armed or not - therefore people rather not take risks and kill them before they kill you.

Up to date, there is only ONE mod I think has come up with a reasonable way to deal with this - and that is Breaking Point for ArmA 3.

Now I find it rather absurd that they could "license" something such a Battle Royale which is but a fad if you ask me. And yes, I did play Battle Royale for both ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 and yes, I do enjoy it. But no, I don't think it belongs in a game such as H1Z1.

Anyway, to the point.

Why Breaking Point?

I think Breaking Point would be perfect inspiration for the developers should they be interested in looking into ways to possibly deal with the Kill on Sight issue.

Now I'm not saying that this should be featured on all servers, but some. So people have the choice what to play.

What Does Breaking Point Do?

Well, once you've played it for an hour or two - it's really simple. Factions.

"But DayZ Mod had sort of 3 factions as well, Survivor, Bandit and Heroes?"
    Well, yes, but that was one of the worst implementations ever.

What Breaking Point does is fairly simple but at the same time, very thought through.

You get the option to pick between 5 Factions - or 6 if you count the "None" class. Those are;

Ranger
    Outlaw
    Nomad
    Hunter
    Survivalist
    None/Factionless

Now the thing here is that every faction has their own allies and enemies. The Ranger for example gain points by killing Outlaws and Hunters - but also gain points for aiding Nomads, Survivalists, and other Rangers in terms of food, drink or healing them.

They also lose points should they injure or kill a friendly faction.

"Why Should We Bother With That?"
    Well, because you gather points. You start at Level 1, with 0 points and once you reach a certain number of points - you'll reach Level 2.

Each level has their own perks, for example when the Ranger levels up - he'll get body armour which makes him more resistant to firearms. But the Ranger, compared to the Hunter - must be much more careful picking his targets - since the Hunter can kill anyone and anything on sight to gain points.

So What Are the Penalties?

Should you injure, or worse kill a player of your own faction(this doesn't count for Hunter or None). You'll lose points, and you will also be temporarily marked as a traitor. The way Breaking Point handles this I personally think is pretty smart. Basically, you always spawn with a hat/cap. Should you become a traitor, you will temporarily lose your hat for the duration of being marked as a traitor. Of course it's not the best way to do it, but it's far better than what I have seen any other zombie survival game do.

Loyal players are also given bonus points for killing a traitor. This encourages people to confirm their targets to maintain their perks, rather than shoot anything that moves.

How Do I Tell Who's Friendly?

This is also fairly simple. By their clothes. Each faction has their own set of clothes for each level - thus it's unique depending on the faction. It takes some practice getting used to, but in a game such as ArmA it works pretty darn well and I think it would work well for H1Z1 too. You can read more about this here.

Summary

I think it would have made much more sense had the Developers looked into perhaps licensing this instead of Battle Royale. It would fit the theme of the game so much more, and it would also - in my honest opinion, add much more interesting gameplay.​

#1 Dealman, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  2. BigB055

BigB055 New Member

Sorry but the easiest solution is to play on PvE.

3. Dealman

Dealman New Member

That is in no way relevant. PvE means no hostile player interaction, where as Breaking Point does - albeit it requires the players to actually think before they shoot.

I understand that nowadays generation doesn't want to think when they play - but some of us who grew up with the 90's games do. I also think there's a reason Breaking Point was voted 4th best mod of the year 2014. It is to me, by far the best zombie survival experience available. It just lacks the base building part, which is a big part of what I want in a survival game.

4. BigB055

BigB055 New Member

This isn't Breaking Point though.

5. Dealman

Dealman New Member

It's not Battle Royale either.

I'm just saying they could do something similar, not identical. Do you have any sensible counter arguments? :p

6. BigB055

BigB055 New Member

Yes. Play PvE. I said that before. Don't come onto a PvP server expecting people holding hands and pressing F6 all day ina circle. It's called PvP which stands for "Player Versus Player"

7. Dealman

Dealman New Member

I've played both PvE and PvP, you're completely missing the point. Unless you don't have anything constructive to say, go be ignorant somewhere else, please.

8. BigB055

BigB055 New Member

*sigh* I didn't want to make a long post as well but okay. What did I say that was not constructive? Just because I didn't add on to your suggestion does not mean it was not constructive. You laid out some elaborate idea with color coordinating and referring to a different game throughout most of it. This is H1Z1. I'm not trying to be a dick here or anything. Just keeping it simple and hopefully get through to this very small group of people who want to always, "have it their way". It isn't going to happen and I can bet all of my scrap metal on it. If you are on a PvP expect to get shot. Keep your head on a swivel and don't be surprised when a freshie domes you with their bow and talks shit to you after that. People who play on PvP and B&M about KoS are spinning their wheels. You don't play on PvP unless you want to shoot other players. It is THAT EASY. If you are on End Times and you come across me or my group, I can tell you with about 95% certainty (Unless we really like you for some reason) you will be shot on sight. There I said it. We are not bandits, we are survivors. We kill and steal and loot and build our base with what we get.

9. Dealman

Dealman New Member

Yet you are still missing the point about my suggestion, I'm not asking them to take away PvP - not at all. But rather to make it more interesting.

Yes I am referring to another game, and I am suggesting the developers check it out because it is one of the most played mods for ArmA. The way they handle factions in a zombie survival is superb, and I really fail to see why you would be so against it.

Especially since I stated this shouldn't be on all servers, if it were to be added. I don't want to have it my way, simply because I put out a suggestion doesn't mean I'm saying "do this or I'll stop playing". I really fail to understand why people like you are so super anti suggestions and feedback.

"Sorry but the easiest solution is to play on PvE."

"This isn't Breaking Point though."

You think these quotes are constructive...? I think you've got some research to do buddy.

10. Lazlo

Lazlo Member

I don't think you're getting his point. Just because a system like this was implemented into other games, by completely different companies, does not mean that it is good for/will work for this game. Also remember DayZ Mod had this and they scraped that for a reason. People don't want defined roles, or levels. They want a simulation of real life, we don't need so pretty names and frills to go along with it.

11. radament

radament New Member

ok if we want real life simulation we need lots of more customization like :

- hair
    - moar hats
    - moar military camo
    - female chars
    - dying clothes
    - custom symbols on vehicles&clothes
    - different styles and mode of base building
    -etc...

note : would be cool if they add clan feature and bounties.

this could help us recognizing our fellas in the streets.

list above is a simple suggestion ...

12. Lazlo

Lazlo Member

Yes, those ideas are valid and I'm sure they will be added later on, seeing how this game is currently 10 or so % finished.

13. kryptocide

kryptocide Member

14. TeX

TeX Administrator
    Staff Member

I did this with WarZ when it first started renting private servers, and while the concept is good, we found ourselves in dispute over rules we had tried to set for factions, since there weren't any kind of tools that allowed you to create factions and borders. It would help if they implemented a faction tool that let you create logos, have faction creation, and areas of land the factions could overtake with epic battles for key map points. Maybe someone will try a factions rp community like we had. The devs even paid for our private server, but we grew quickly to 500 people and I spent most of my time micro managing. If you build it, they will come.

15. Fonsworth

Fonsworth Member

I really wish people would STOP crying about KOS. You cannot fix human nature, self preservation is your most basic instinct. Kill or be killed. This is the way of nature :p

Breaking Point doesn't work either. Everyone just logs in as a bandit or hunter so they can not only KOS, but get rewarded for it.

Then you get the trolls, who log in as friendly classes and KOS just to troll.

I've played enough online games to know there not only is there NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, but that people QQ on forums about it all the time as if their thread, which is exactly like all the others, will somehow catch the eye of all the KOS players and make them rethink their play style.

There are only 2 reasonable way to deal with KOS. Don't play on a PVP server, or kill them before they kill you. If you decide to trust them, you deserve to be killed.

16. Lazlo

Lazlo Member

It's funny you say that because most of my time on the forums is trying to convince people of just that exact point.

17. Fonsworth

Fonsworth Member

A noble, yet somewhat misguided plan. No way you're going to sway the forum's opinion. People who are upset and/or don't get it will always kick and scream the loudest.

18. Lazlo

Lazlo Member

It's not misguided to try to reason with people, but it is when they have sticks it their ears. Sigh, I still won't give up.

19. DrVudo

DrVudo Member

"You cannot fix human nature, self preservation is your most basic instinct. Kill or be killed. This is the way of nature" I think you being alive makes this statement false.

Currently there are no consequences to killing. It might help to make people think and be more careful if, when someone dies they do not respawn for 15 min. I mean death lasts a little longer then a few seconds. If you do not want to die, you may want to hold off killing (and getting killed).

20. shugoh

shugoh Member

I dont like the idea because I generally dont like the idea of being tied up, or having the option to. I think players should be able to create their own factions without the game engine helping them out in this way. Thats just my 2 cents.

On a side note: Dont argue to people like Big Bo55, he is just an idiot saying that "You HAVE to choose between getting killed instantly at EVERY human encounter you do(PVP for him) or not being able to kill anyone AT ALL". He is one of those extremist noobs, he doesnt understand that KOS is not the equivalent of PVP. So dont even try talking sense into him :D