Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[Suggestion] Solutionto KoS players

Discussion in 'Z1: Battle Royale' started by metalshiflet, Jan 31, 2015.

1. metalshiflet

metalshiflet Member

Make a bounty, with name in red, automatic on anyone who kills a player that has their hands up. If you kill a player with their name in red, you get something good from their loot.

2. bazzaro135

bazzaro135 Member

I agree some sort of "hero / bandit" system would be nice.

3. aukurfuu

aukurfuu Member

yeah, i dont see that system being abused :p, but your on the right track

4. cortdemico

cortdemico New Member

THIS IS A COPY/PASTE
    JUST TO GET IT OUT THERE
    here's my essay... sorry if you read it all :)

KOS-ers are what they are. going to do what they do. but, that does not mean we should not attempt to try to make the game more interesting intrinsically, W/O karma band-aids with their UI/HUD features.

some ideas that have/have not been heard before...

way tougher zombies at daytime as zombies "warm-up" could help: humans/gamers see better in light, nite time better for hiding/hunting/looting/ for humans when zombies "cool" down. reverse the dying light mechanics.

hidden zombies near visible zombies and such could help: shoot (things that go bang exclusively) and zombies wake/spawn near you. it's daytime do i really want this guys backpack THAT bad?

players receiving fire, and upon death, make a metric shIt ton of noise: i would believe people don't die quietly and are generally not used to pain. so, a gun fight (or a arrow shot into PLAYER, to wake/spawn zombies) would be a noisy, bloody and messy affair and needs that represented in game.

speaking of messy: blood should smell and attract zombies like sharks. both parties in a fight receiving wounds should be particularly attractive to the zombies olfactory senses. would make tending to wounds a priority (could work against non combative players who were getting bandit-ed, but give them some solace in the knowledge that their corpse will now be attracting zombies like the airdrops and their own corpse will become a zombie.

speaking of which: players create especially unique, strong, fast zombies. maybe have them hold on to some memory of the killer for a time and the bandit would have to kill you twice, with your now new friends who spawned in, to get all loot, or bounce (happened in a few zombie movies i can think of). these player created zombies could be like boss battles (not necessarily forced, but hard to get out of once started?) bandit kills player. zombies spawn in. a minute or two later dead player re-animates. bandit either fights for, or runs W/O, player zombie loot if he wasn't able to get all before the turn. player zombie remains for whomever wants to attempt to get all of the players' gear, maybe without item destruction so there is a reward even for bandits.

in game call outs: like BF have a method by which player not using mics could be vocal. typing isn't always quick or effective in a time crunch.

the visual emotes could be further upgraded: customizable load-out of emotes, to where more situational silent communication could be implemented, either towards robbery or assistance.

random social marking system: meet someone and need to identify them from all the clones in motorcycle helmets? spray paint can, in world item, maybe? with one time selectable color palette; a scrap of colored cloth wear like flag football; wolf tail/bear head/deer antlers? etc... devs already were spray painting things, but were just words on buildings).

FAVORITE DEV DESIRE! in game longevity skills. already implemented? sorta? devs said longer you stay alive and are sprinting, the longer you would be able to sprint (have not lived long enough in game to test and haven't heard whether or not it's actually in). other attributes like maybe the longer you carry a heavier load the more items you can carry. the longer you crouch walk around the quieter you can get. the more time you spend ADS the steadier you could hold weapon. this gives a player a reason to want their character to be alive for awhile. die after being alive awhile and the drop in capabilities might make a character think twice before putting themselves in a sketchy situation. this should be slow and exponentially so, and maybe even regressive. don't run for awhile you start getting slower?

dead frontier class type system: you start by picking what you were before apocalypse. ie fireman. policeman. cook. mechanic. lawyer. athlete. military. each class starts with specific costume and with some attributes buffed and/or some special gear class specific (let other classes learn, but make it take time to build skills?) and/or experience boosts (examples: lawyer might start with nothing useful, but might be smart and better able to learn new skills quickly, where-as a military class would be buffed slightly across the board , but have EXP nerf).

just thought of this: vote system in server for RPG servers. if a player is not "acting" right a server could vote them off for a time. certain number of times is a ban to eliminate trolls and not players not paying attention. no real infringement on sony servers. sorta like the white-list servers.

PS: KOS is already in game. KOS from KOS-ers perspective can't be fixed, so it will remain in game no matter any solution. KOS-ers call out people as care-bears/cry-babys/etc.. to stifle the "argument"/discussion, but why? it will always be in game... so KOS psychopaths will always have KOS. they know this, and at the same time know there is a group/set of players (even KOS-ers) who want a different experience, W/O as many trolls and psycho kids shootin' up the town willy-nilly. so IMO people saying "end this silliness of karma/tougher zombies/whatever you unrealized PVE players!" are really just being selfish in that THEY will always get the game the want, and we should shut up and sit down. well, i won't.

PSS: karma system, as much as i don't want to see it, is not unprecedented in real life as it seems. most lunatics as such give people the heebie jeebies, or whatever. yes, people have said of serial killers "He seemed like such a nice guy.". i think those people just weren't paying attention. but in reality, fear of death and retribution is the REAL deterrent to truly reckless behavior like shooting with out a care of your surroundings. so karma system, to me, is less favorable to environmental repercussions and rewards for good behavior, in that if i scope in across a field i shouldn't be able to say "yeah! bad guy." and shoot. players should have an intrinsic value alive. granted some crazies will say VIDEO GAME! pew! pew! pew! and nothing will stop this. but i think those of us who are not afraid to go into that dark night to be the good guy need some way to band together in a meaningful way in game that is not clan based mechanic or some karma system (flagging friendlies some how in a visual manner, but not UI/HUD based).

speaking of clan based: the purchasable items and customizable clothing could maybe have an exclusive feature to where a clan/individual can have clan specific/personal clothing skins. anyone remember Warriors? Greasers vs Jocks vs Preps? all clothing orientated. sony seems to be going in this direction anyways.:) there goes so-and-so clan, or carry a skin on you to give to in game players/friends (good till death). clans can always equip their skins, where-as in game gifted skin is one life only. backstab and keep the skin on? i might find you, or you can wear it and hope for a deception jump.

on this note i will say this. fix/change game or not i will play H1Z1, however it comes to be. and if it remains a KOS fest from 2015 to 20?? i would say this; if you want to be the hero, work it out however you can. watch a frankie video. he does it. - it's easy to kill on sight. let that be for the noobs. - it's hard to rob some one. let that be for the experienced players. - it's down-right noble to be the hero. let that be for the martyrs. RIP brothers.

5. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

There are nice, peaceful pve servers you could go play when you don't feel like getting shot. then when you feel like shooting, they have these pvp servers where you can shoot people. seems like a good system to me.

6. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

Copy pasta from another thread with the same idea, because nobody knows how to use the search function to just add to someone else's thread.

7. Relsanct

Relsanct New Member

The Karma system has been done pretty much to perfection and need only to look at Ultima Online.

Yes a murderer's title will be red, however there is a timer which will cause it to wear down to grey, then back to white.

Karma isn't permanent, you can redeem yourself.

Also for the issue of "what if he stole and i was defending myself"

Well if a player stole from you and you caught him, his name would be GREY. If you kill a GREY player, you do NOT get a murder count, or a criminal count. Greys and Reds are fair game.

Players also did not go Red on their first player kill, only grey. You needed 2 - 3 player kills within 24 hours to turn red.

The system works very... very well imo and doesn't even really need to be redesigned for this game.

8. LOVELESS

LOVELESS Member

I don't really see it changing gameplay that much imo. Because people are still going to kill people nonetheless. But, it's a cool system I wouldn't mind being added, but highly doubt it will be.

9. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

So, you think it's cool if everyone just knows flat out who you are and what you do. fine, got tell every person you've ever lied to that you lied to them, every person you've ever taken even a bit of food from that you're a thief. People don't go around broadcasting ahead of time what they've done, and there shouldn't be a system in place that forcibly rats them out.

10. Relsanct

Relsanct New Member

I think it's clear that there are plenty of people who support some sort of Karma system. There should be a seperate type of server that has the Karma system in place, and some that don't. I think if you aren't in favor of any kind of Reputation system, you're probably a chronic griefer.

11. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

Fancy that, now you're calling me a griefer without bias because i disagree with you. What actual evidence have i given you that says griefer? you're welcome to check through my well over 100 posts. most of them are me helping people with quick fixes for known bugs, or giving advice. i wrote the trade guidelines sticky, i wrote a basic starter guide for new players, and i have a brand spankin newbie under my wing that i'm teaching the game.

I just don't like the idea of people being ratted out for killing people in a pvp game.

edit - i also wrote the guide on how to properly report a bug, and i'm waiting for staff to read it and hopefully sticky it. i've also reported many bugs including duplication glitches, the fact that structures that are pending placement can knock over cars and shove players. My care is about the gaming experience and balance, not about people who dislike being killed getting a free heads up that someone is hostile. that's part of the game, is the constant worry the the guy you just met could be a killer looking for an opportunity, not that helpful guy you think he is. if that mechanic isn't something you care for, you're probably playing the wrong game.

12. Relsanct

Relsanct New Member

The system is NOT like that at all Mortesh. If you were to steal something, you could go camp in the woods for 15 minutes and your name goes back to white. If you were ACTUALLY sneaky, none would be the wiser. It isn't a permanent name change.

13. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

if i steal from you, i shouldn't have to hide from everyone else for 15 minutes. i should have to hide from you (if you're in the area) because i stole from you. and you know it because you saw it, not because my name is a different color.

edit - and how would you handle vehicles? They're naturally spawned and have no set owner. some guy gets in my car and tries to drive off with it. rather than lose it, i blow it up and kill him. why should i be flagged for that?

14. Relsanct

Relsanct New Member

You shouldn't be flagged for that, he stole your car so he'd be grey, free kill. Look man it's not an attack, and you have your opinion and I have mine. Obviously you don't like it, but if you look at top priorities on the issue tracker, there are other that agree with me.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I know like others that we want some more meaningful interactions, and try to offer suggestions to find something worthwhile. Your negative comments smashing it aren't helpful.

If you play so much you should be aware there are different server types for different types of people. If enough people are in favor of some sort of reputation system, I think there should be a seperate server for those. You don't need to bring us down because you don't like it, stay on your standard pvp server and be happy.

15. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

I've no issue with it being on it's own server. i have an issue with it being forced on everyone, the OP, nor anyone else other than you has suggest it be relegated to it's own breed of server (tbh, i missed you saying that in the post before this one.)

also, my comments aren't negative or smashing, they are counter arguments with legitimate examples of situations that it would be dificult to apply a static karma system where X action has Y result.

also, like i said the car is a natural spawn. how do you denote ownership?
    if the first person gets in and it doesn't have both spark and battery but it has one and they take it out and run off, is it their car? is it the first person to start the ignition? what if they take the parts out and then die? or log off and leave the car in the open?

I'm bringing these issues up because if you want a system implemented you need to consider these things. I specialize in breaking games (natural aptitude) so thinking of possible problems is a strong suit of mine.

Look at it this way, for every criticism i give you that you can logically refute, your position gets stronger.

I apologize if you've read my comments as hostile, maybe slightly agitated when i think my point has been missed but i'm not at all angry, nor do i have any problem with any person who has posted in favor of the idea. After all, everyone is entitled to have and share their opinion. but everyone else is welcome to share their criticism on that opinion once it has been voiced, my opinions included.

16. Relsanct

Relsanct New Member

I would say once you drive a car off from spawn, it would belong to that player at least for a period of time.

Containers would need a slight tweak in this regard as well. A container would have to "belong" to a player so that anyone non friendly would be flagged a thief.
    -Note there is a Friend system, you can specify people who can enter your base, and use your containers without getting a criminal flag. Also guildies can spar and kill one another without penalty.

They do this as well in uo, kill someone's mount, steal from their home is logged. There is also a virtue system in place, so you get perks for being good vs bad. Killing zombies and red titles should gain you favor, while stealing and killing innocents results in negative.

IE in uo, once you have huge positive karma, you are a Lord, where as negative karma results in Dread Lord title. These titles are hard to obtain, and getting so many kills would sky rocket your Red timer.
    -maybe titles in H1z1 could come with apocalyptic bonus traits since they are adding classes.

#16 Relsanct, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  17. Mortesh

Mortesh Member

I don't know enough about the UO system to make an informed response. however i can't imagine why people would pvp on a server where they were punished for doing so
    I used to play conquer online, they had a pk points system i enjoyed. attacking players made your name flash blue for about 60 seconds. anyone who killed you received no pk points and got a few items from your inventory (not all of it). if you got 30 pk points you name turned red, until your points dropped under 30 (+10 per normal player killed +5 for enemy, +0 for enemy "guild") and black at 100 points. being red named would confiscate 1 piece of your equipped items and hold it ransom for 1 week, in which you could pay a toll to retrieve it (this toll was paid with a in game currency you could win randomly, buy with cash, or trade other players for.) if you failed to pay for it, the person who killed you could claim the item. Black named players lost 3 pieces. The reason i didn't mind this system was because there was gear, you could only be 1 shot by extremely powerful players if you were sufficiently geared, but this game has WAY to many 1 shot kill or 2-3 shot rapid fire killing weapons for me to be comfortable with that kind of system. besides, you drop EVERYTHING on death anyways (minus starter stuff and clothing.)

18. Bor

Bor Super Moderator

So much chat. TL;DR Anyways, why not use sao green, orange, and red system? Using bounty is just weird.

19. DAS1337

DAS1337 Member

Problem is, people don't put their hands up because it puts them in a terrible spot. I have never seen anyone put their hands up, nor have I put my hands up in the 35 hours that I've played this game.

20. DAS1337

DAS1337 Member

This is my post from another thread. Try to ignore anything that may be aimed at another poster, as it was a response to someone. I'm just posting this because it's an idea that I had that not only adds to the game, but also helps the KOS factor in a way that isn't super intrusive. Just try to read it with an open mind. Had H1Z1 launched EA with this mechanic, would you have as much of an issue with it that you would now? Anyways, read on. It's just an idea, don't get too excited.

You CAN tweak systems in game to push players away from KOS mentality. But you can't eliminate it. The most obvious is the one slapping us in the face. Before the loot patches, players were significantly less likely to attack you. Post patch, now almost everyone has a gun and they almost never try to engage you in conversation. I'd seen it first hand, and I know many of you do too. Just think about the frequency in which you hear guns now. I hear shots being fired all the time.

Yes, I do have an idea, but I won't get any sympathy from the crowd of people who refuse to add anything that even resembles an artificial system that influences people to play a certain way, no matter what it adds to the game.

My idea is to add a 5th status bar. (After fixing stamina consumption) Name that status bar Sanity. Now add alcohol to the game, and make them increase your sanity. Think of them as a way to cope with the rigors of surviving in a zombie apolcalypse. Sanity can regenerate like health does, but only to the 10's. For instance, you have 61% sanity. It will slowly regenerate to 70%, but go no further until the player takes action. Also, alcohol gives a small hit to energy and hydration, but alcohol makes most people hungry right? Let's say..for example.

Can Of Beer - 15% - 50 bulk
    Tall Boy - 25% - 75 bulk
    Bottle Of Liquor - 40% - 200 bulk

All of which have their own rarity for spawning and have their respective usage timers. Now, introduce a system in which players lose sanity by killing players. Let's say it's 25% a kill. Players can also lose sanity by having a status reach 0%, similar to how health works. After all, if you were dying in the apocalypse, wouldn't you freak out a bit? Now I know some of you will stop reading and cry bloody murder, but please bear with me for another minute. Now you add checkpoints, for example.

50% - shaky aim
    30% - shaky aim, some colors will grey out a bit
    15% - shaky aim, lose colors, slightly blurred vision
    0% - shaky aim, no colors, blurred vision, screen get's darker and you start losing health

Losing your sanity can make you completely useless in the zombie apocalypse. Just like dying. Essentially, what this does is it allows players to kill 2 people without feeling the effects of this system. If you kill a 3rd player and do not drink anything, then you will start to feel shaky. 4th player gives you the next status effect. So ultimately, this will have a small affect on players who play defensively. They may kill a player here and there, but their reliance on alcohol will be insignificant. However, after 3-4 kills, players with a KOS mentality will be forced to take action, or they will be rendered near useless. Quite honestly, all it would take is drinking a beer after a kill, and you'd be back up to 100%. It's not really all that intrusive of a system, as all it requires is for a player to pick up a can of beer instead of 1 of their 10 bottles of water.

Not only that, to tie it into other systems, alcohol can be used in crafting as well. For example, for sterilize bandages and make them stronger. To make molotov cocktails so that we can kill zombies and set things on fire. To further stoke a campfire, and make it a larger fire. I'm sure players and developers can come up with a number of interesting uses for alcohol.

And to wrap this up. You can let players just get drunk! It might hurt your hydration levels, but stumbling around, making drunken twitch videos will instantly be all over the place. This system, while it does influence players to play differently, doesn't force anyone to do so. It's just asking the players to take care of their vitals. Since there are plenty of physical vitals, why not allow us to also take care of our mental vitals?