Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Zombie Books' started by Basho, Jul 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Basho

Basho New Member

Hi, everyone. I've lurked for a while, and this is my first post. I've watched the series since it started, and really love that it's as much about the people as the zombies. The drama, etc., around them and the dangers of a world falling apart make for some interesting, sophisticated stuff. So much of the zombie genre is all about plot, but there's a lot more at work here.

So, I'm looking for book suggestions. Anybody know of anything that's similiarly sophisticated? Something that really explores characters? The only thing I've found in the zombie genre is J. P. Moore's Toothless. It's awesome, but I'm looking for something that takes place in modern times and I know there must be more out there. World War Z didn't do it for me.

Thanks!

2. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

My suggestion is 'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon. It is not a zombie novel per se, but it is post-apocalyptic and has great characters (Sister Creep being my personal fave) and a 'grab-you-by-the-throat-never-let-you-go' story-line that will leave you wanting more (the over 950 pages still will NOT seem enough!!). I read this years ago & it still ranks up there as one of the best books I've ever read in ANY genre!!

3. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

SWAN SONG is excellent. It's not my favorite McCammon (that distinction belongs to BOY'S LIFE), but it's still a great read. If you tackle it and enjoy it, also try Stephen King's THE STAND.

For zombie fiction, I'll fall back on my old stalwart Brian Keene. Try both THE RISING and CITY OF THE DEAD. They're my all-time favorite zombie novels.

4. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Just listen to Misfit. I've never read SWAN SONG, but the other three books he listed are excellent.

5. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Definitely give SWAN SONG a try if you ever have the time. Since I know you enjoy THE STAND, there's a very good chance you'll also like the McCammon.

6. rabscuttle1

Since we like some of the same books I'll be sure to give SWAN SONG a read. The local library should have it.

7. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Btw: I'm glad to meet another fan of Brian Keene. He's a really good guy and a great writer.

8. rabscuttle1

I really enjoy his horror. I know he also writes crime novels but I haven't read any of those.

9. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

That's the first I've heard of him writing crime novels. Interesting. I'll have to talk to him and see what's up with that.

10. rabscuttle1

I believe his crime novels have horror elements to them. Its cool that you know him. How many other authors do you know?

11. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

12. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

That's what I thought. I couldn't think of any book he's written without a horror angle incorporated into them.

As for knowing authors? I know more than I can count. Ha.

13. rabscuttle1

That's cool. I've never met any authors except for talking to a few on forums. None famous, though. Unless you're secretly famous.:zombies_lol: I saw Willie Nelson once when I was a kid and lived out west. I was around twelve and he passed us on the highway. He was riding in the back an old beatup white Lincoln smoking a joint. He looked at me, smiled and winked. I thought it was cool.

14. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

That's a pretty cool Willie Nelson story!

15. rabscuttle1

I quit telling it for a long time because most people think I'm lying. But I figured what the hell, why not share it here on the forum.

16. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Yeah, some people are like that. *shrugs*

I think it's a cool story.

17. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

...little off the zombie path, but, Justin Cronin 'The Passage' great read w/a huge following. This is the 1st of a trilogy, his 2nd ' The Twelve' is due out mid October. Theres talk of a movie. Enjoy!

18. firstfooter

** Swawn Song, i have to agree. Great characters, with a good plot. Couldn't put it down.

19. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

I thought THE PASSAGE was decent. I'll be reading Cronin's next.

20. firstfooter

[Slickg] is recommending 'The Undead Situation' . If your looking for a new perspective, you follow along w/a sociopath during the ZA. Nice twist I think, I'll be checking it out.