Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Telltale Games shutting down

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by lastcat3, Sep 22, 2018.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

Damn. For the employees, and for the fact that that was an amazing game.

3. lastcat3

Yeah. It seems people are flooding Kirkman with emails about him finishing Clementine's story (now that Telltale is no more there probably wouldn't be any legal loop holes from bringing her into the story). So I'd at least expect him to address it in letter hacks in the coming months.

I could see him bringing Clementine into the comic strictly as a background character just to let fans know where she ended up at.

4. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

Perhaps she could get her own comic? In the same universe, but in a different part of the country (similar to the TWD & FTWD on TV)? I'd subscribe to that comic...

5. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Hard pass on Kirkman finishing Clementine's story. I'd honestly rather it be unfinished than him touching it. Clementine isn't his.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

Wow, huge mistake on my part. I had always assumed Robert Kirkman was behind the Telltale series.

7. BatmansHooker

Nah. I think the 'rights' to characters like Clementine are a little unclear, so she could theoretically pop up in the comics, but from what I understand, Kirkman's more of a consultant on the game. The characters and story were made by Telltale writers.

Not that I dislike Kirkman as a writer, but I would want a conclusion by the people who built the character. Palming it off to Kirkman just wouldn't seem right, and honestly, I like that it's a Walking Dead story that's not his work. It's a different flavour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lastcat3

Kirkman tends to get involved in these subsidiary works if it has a lot to do with something that is going on in his comic but if it doesn't he has a very hands off approach. For instance Kirkman was involved in the novel series (and I believe wrote the outline for the book) when it was telling the story of Woodbury and the prison attack. But he had virtually nothing to do with the following books that didn't have anything to do with the Woodbury story from his comic.

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I'm not sure it would be wise for Kirkman to add a Telltale character to the comics with murky 'rights' issues. The creators of those characters are in dire straights financially, and Kirkman is a multi-millionaire. Add those things up and its a great recipe for a lawsuit. "We deserve financial compensation for use".

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

11. lastcat3

Yep have heard about this. And in all honesty I seriously doubt any of this will happen and I think it is largely just talk. I could see it happening if there was going to be something in it for those other companies but these games were cancelled because there weren't enough people playing them to make it financially beneficial to keep them going. I find it hard to believe that another gaming company will put in some of their own money strictly on a matter of good faith because a few fans were out ten bucks because they paid for four episodes but only got two. I saw a sales charts for Telltales recent games and they were quite frankly horrible. Even the Walking Dead games were hardly selling anymore (season 3 of Walking Dead only sold about a twentieth of what season 1 did).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

13. BatmansHooker

Glad it's going to get the conclusion it deserves.

But I'm also kind of ticked that Telltale's treatment of employees was overshadowed by fan anger at TWD being cancelled.

14. lastcat3

• Agree Agree x 1